New Stray Colony Shelter!

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say that I did a fantastic job searching for and finding the best husband.  In each endeavor I've taken on he is always extremely supportive of whatever it is I'm doing.  Lately, I've taken up caring for some strays in my neighborhood.  We met three of them last spring...two Toms and a really small spayed female.  He built me a couple of outdoor wooden shelters for the Toms last winter.  They, gratefully, used them every night.  The female we let come indoors because she behaved herself, short of having some quirky cattitudes, mostly directed at other cats.  Now, she won't return outside with the exception of short hunting excursions.  

Then, last winter a newly pregnant female started hanging out to be fed.  I tried to bring her indoors to have her kittens but she was not having it, preferring to hole up underneath a neighbors house up in the floor insulation.  When the kittens were five weeks old, a male and a female, she introduced them to me for feeding.  I went down there three times a day to feed and try to begin handling the kittens.  I had some success with that approach but at six and 1/2 weeks it was apparent that I needed them closer to me.  The male kitten was a big, scared, momma's boy.  You can tell by observation that he is her favorite.  So we relinquished our guest room to the mother and babes.  They are nine weeks old now.

I have a nineteen year old senior resident that keeps to herself in the master bedroom, mother and kittens in the guest bedroom, a cat that doesn't like other cats hangs out in the living room and just the other day, I found another spayed female whom I am currently searching for her owner.

My husband decided we need a serious outdoor cat palace.  He's out digging post holes as I write.  Anyway, I would like any and all ideas for this place since he says I can put anything I want in it.  I'm thinking six individual cat bedrooms and a maternity suite.  The overall enclosure will be 5' X 16' X 8' high.  What shall I put in it?

Toms have been neutered and everyone else has vaccines.  I'm waiting for mom's milk to dry up before the vet will spay her.  I think once that is done everyone, with the exception of quirky cat, will play nicely together.  Our home backs up to a beautiful wooded area that is a protected wildlife sanctuary.  This is probably why people are dumping their cats here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love your catio.  Do the cats have any difficulty navigating the steps without anything covering them?  I've been wondering about that.  The look so nice bare.  What is it that the black & white cat (beautiful!) is sitting on?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Love your catio.  Do the cats have any difficulty navigating the steps without anything covering them?  I've been wondering about that.  The look so nice bare.  What is it that the black & white cat (beautiful!) is sitting on?
The wood steps and overhead walkways are cedar with a sealer on them.  I suppose they've got a little rough from being outdoors in the weather so they're not slick at all.

The box that Jake is sitting on is the poop room.   
  There are two litter boxes in there.  To the lower left of the photo, you can barely see the door open for access for us to clean out the litter boxes.  We set it up so the cats could go from their indoor cat room down the ramp to the litter box room (all enclosed in plexiglass) and then there is a cat door from the litter box room to the rest of the catio.  The story of the set up is here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/266917/catio-unveiled

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ours is not going to be that fancy because some of the cats I care for are strictly outdoor cats.  Two of them were very busy Toms whom are now retired.  Haven't figured out the litter situation yet.  Here is photo of our progress thus far.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We built an enclosure for two neighborhood strays because we bascially didn't have anymore room in the house.  Ours is pretty big - If I had to do it again, it would be smaller and attached to our house.  Nothing like plowing through four feet of snow at dinner time.  Ours has a wire roof and sides but cat-proof fencing would have worked as well.  The chicken coop holds a regular litter box as well as their beds.  I also built an outside litter box with a kit you use for raised garden beds.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/257002/my-new-enclosure

I think you husband rocks!

Last edited:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are your kennels/beds heated?  We just got the kennels in the last few days and they're insulated better than out home!  Last winter we used free standing cat shelters with heating pads but the outdoor pads don't get very warm.  The cats still appreciated them.  Next winter I'm going to try some with straw and some with heating pads and see which ones they prefer.  Right now, I've noticed the males are using my lovely rock garden as a litter box for #1.  Sheesh.  Here is what we've done for kennels.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow!  Those are great.  Straw will add softness and warmtn and is easy to replace.  About the new "litterboxes" - you might want to get a good enzyme spray and clean the rocks.  Otherwise, your yard will stink to high heaven.  Adding a dedicated spcae for litter will help, I think.

My two sleep in straw beds in the coop but I also have two Rubbermaid container shelters they use.  I did use the microwave discs the first winter but they didn't seem to like them.  I think the straw is warm enough for them.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh...that is good to hear about straw.  Since the mother and kittens were rescued from underneath a house up in the floor insulation I thought the straw might remind them of their nest.  I have them indoors right now in the guest room but they much prefer their daily visits to the backyard.  The mother is being spayed on Monday so I will leave her indoors for another week or so.

I bought some outdoor material to make a bunch of hanging hammocks for everyone.  I'm also planning on making some cushions for the upper deck above the kennels.  That looks like a good  "cat place", I know they'll love it.

Hmmm...enzyme spray for my rock garden.  What a solution!

I took a look at your coop...what a great shelter!   You've got a handy husband as well?

Here's a photo of my rock garden.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful yard! Those kitties will think they are in nirvana!

My husband is handy but not that handy.  We bought the coop at a shed place and had it delivered.  Then we had the enclosure built around it.  Our guys love to get on the roof and squeeze up against the top wire.  Goofy things - I guess they like being high up.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Ondine.  This morning it rained and I assumed they would go to the shelter because it is roofed.  But no, they went to their individual shelters and left the female out to fend for herself.  Poor thing was soaking wet when I let her in for breakfast.  They probably don't like the smell in there because we've been painting, staining, and the posts are pressure treated.  I have begun feeding some of them in there to try to get them used to it.  Wonder how long it'll be before the fumes are at an acceptable level...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good thing you still have the shelters.  Cats are notorious for needing time to adjust to new things.  I suspect it won't take them long once the paint fumes dry and the comfy straw is in there.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we will be able to finish most of the shelter structure today.  We are working on the "floor."  Eventually, I think I want to use pavers in there but my poor husband is tiring of this project.  He's been at it non-stop for two weeks.  He's been out there all day, everyday.  So...for a temporary floor we're going to level it with sand and stake down some cheap utility carpeting.  We'll see how long that lasts.

Yesterday, we finished our "horizontal cat tree" and hung it on the inside wall.  Will try to get some pictures posted later today.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought with the carpet was if they spray or pee on it, it will be nasty but once your husband gets his second wind, the pavers wil be great.  Its a big job!  Kudos to you both.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True...we'll see what happens.  The carpet was pretty cheap so I'm not committed to it.  I am surprised that since I've had the males neutered two and three weeks ago there is already a lot less spraying going on.  I've not seen them do it inside the shelter yet.

This was dinner time tonight...with a couple of views of the horizontal cat tree.  All bunks can be accessed from the tree as well as the upper deck.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Took the stray mother in for spaying this morning.  She was already pregnant again.  So sad that their cycles never stop...that has to be very hard on them.  No more babies for her!  Now, just a few more weeks to get the kittens done.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sad news but the best result.  Poor females get worn out from litter after litter and the males end up so battle scarred.

Your set up is great - I said before those kitties will think they're in nirvana!

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have two battle scarred X Toms.  My Mother cat and her babes are reunited and I actually think some time separated was good for all of them.  She looks no worse for wear in the photo...a bit tired, maybe.  The female kitten in the foreground was the only smart one that took an afternoon nap today.

Now if I could only convince them the new enclosure is as comfortable as my patio chair!!