New Queen To A Litter Of 5 A Month Ago Panting Occasionally Since

sally Payne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering a cat who came to me with 5 weeks left until giving birth - she seemed fine (other that huge poo's) and relaxed until she gave birth 4 weeks ago. Since then she has been open mouth breathing and occasionally panting initially with constipation (which is what I thought was the problem was however the constipation seems to have disappeared and she now goes daily, however she is still panting prior to pooping and sometimes also after. She is eating a lot prob due to feeding the 5 kittens, she meows constantly/desperately whilst looking at me as if she is telling me she is in pain. But is eating well, urinating fine had dewormer 2 weeks ago plus has been checked over by vet who is also stumped and says can't do anything whilst nursing and best to wait until she gets spade to then further investigate at the same time. Not comfortable waiting as she is clearly in distress and it is happening more often now. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really think that you need to get her to the vet. I'm afraid that there may be some sort of infection due to the birth, or perhaps there was some damage during it. She needs to be checked so that you don't end up hand-rearing orphaned kittens!

PLEASE be sure to let me know how she is doing! I'm going to be fretting over this one!

I'm so glad that you found us, although I hate that it is over something so scary!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sally Payne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the quick response! I have taken her to the vets 3 times and 2 different vets. They checked her temp and heart rate and poked around but have not been able to tell me what's wrong. The first vet visit she also had worming treatment and since that didn't fix the issue I took her back and was advised to start weaning the kittens so she can be spayed in 2 weeks where they will have a look around also. I imagine if it was anything like an infection she would've had a raised temp at the vets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sally Payne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The thing that's confusing is that she's completely content now nursing the kittens and she eats a lot. Sometimes 8 packets of food a day. I'm wondering if it could be trapped wind causing her distress sometimes as she has a distended tummy sometimes and lots of flatulence.