New Orijen Formula, Too Much Fish?

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look up Todd of Clark Farms on Google.They supply the chicken and eggs. Funny how it is a house in a populated neighborhood.
I cannot find the farms on a map when I search by name and city of any of their suppliers they mention on their website either. Too many red flags
And my gut says something just isn't right.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow . So what do we do now? Can we still get the Canadian brand. What about Acana? Is that also questionable . I thought they were not selling Orijen for cats in the US until October so how can cats be getting sick after being on it a couple of months?

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow . So what do we do now? Can we still get the Canadian brand. What about Acana? Is that also questionable . I thought they were not selling Orijen for cats in the US until October so how can cats be getting sick after being on it a couple of months?
Canadian made is not available to buy in USA once it is made at Kentucky plant. Orijen Cat and Kitten has been out for at least a month now from Kentucky. Six Fish will be out later this year from Kentucky. Both Acana and Orijen are being made in Kentucky.
I wouldn't depend on the Canadian made formulas in the future since they will be "enhancing" all formulas in 2017. They told me minor changes back in January, but they also said that USA made formulas would be the same as well. They obviously lied. Now don't trust them.
Took my girl in for reg annual vet visit. Vet said that having lots of dogs coming in with GI upsets, skin, and hotspot problems from being on new USA Acana formulas. He chalked it up to poor transition at first, but now advises changing foods completely. Told him my Kitty gets 1 tsp. a day of the USA Wild Atlantic. No problems in litter box, appetite slightly down, sleeping a little more, respiration slightly up. Told me to drop the WA to see if goes back to normal. I just started withholding now.
I agree....this is the time to drop dry foods or find a different brand.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What brand is as good as Orijen used to be . I give him kibble because he has a hard time maintaining weight on wet alone. Any suggestions for a good kibble? He gets about 4 T per day plus wet. I can increase the wet if need be.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What brand is as good as Orijen used to be . I give him kibble because he has a hard time maintaining weight on wet alone. Any suggestions for a good kibble? He gets about 4 T per day plus wet. I can increase the wet if need be.
Fromm
NaturesVariety Instinct
Rawz,
Tike Cat Carnivore

There are others. Do a search here fot best dry foods. You can google too.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use Ziwipeak air dried now as their "night snack kibble."

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho is currently eatin Regional Red Orijen. I looked at the ingredients and there is a ton of fish in it. Herring herring oil and herring meal salmon salmon meal pollock meal . I thing the US version has less fish.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I emailed Orijen about the new plant and formulas and expressed my concerns . They wrote back and said they are aware of all that is being said and told me they would not have spent time and money for a state of the art facility only to make inferrior food. They are very concerned with their reputation she said and hope eventually the new formulas will speak for themselves.
I will give it a chance when the Orijen Regional Red comes out. He never eats the chicken due to allergies and I stay awY from fish as a main ingredient. Time will tell.

hamhoos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to take a read at this:

Original Canadian Orijen Formula

http://www.catfooddispensersreviews.com/orijen-cat-food-review/

New Orijen Kentucky Formula

http://www.catfooddispensersreviews.com/orijen-cat-kitten-new-2016-formula-review/

Basically, the new formula definitely has more fish than the original. Chicken and turkey will always be better for your cat > fish. But it really just comes down to how comfortable you are with the new formula.

There are other good dry foods out there. I've done a lot of research on the subject and these are some other dry foods that have a pretty good ingredient list:

Acana Grasslands

Acana Wild Prairie (this has less protein than grasslands)

Nature's Variety Instinct (Limited Ingredient lines appear to be healthier). The 'Natural flavor' is most likely animal by products, which isn't ideal but meh. 

Wellness Core Original Dry 

EVO Turkey and Chicken

Ziwipeak air-dried lamb, venison, beef (ziwipeak is always a top contender, but much pricier)

I don't know anything about 'new' Acana so I can't comment. 

Here are some websites that review cat food ingredients. 

http://www.catfooddispensersreviews.com/cat-food-reviews/

http://bestcatfoodforcats.com/top-rated-cat-food/

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That s interesting. I had no idea . You know it is so hard to find a good dry cat food. I am hoping I can find the Canadian brand on line. At the end of of the day unless you cook for them you just don t know. Many cats live a long time on worse food than the new formula. The important thing to me is he likes it and eats it and it causes no problems. We ll see.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get it now Hamhoos meal is actually better than the meat itself. I see the new Cat & kitten formula has no meal . If the new Regional Red has no meal he won t be eating it . The new Acana does have Meal . I bought the Appalachin Ranch andI it has 3 meals. So does the new Grasslands. I may go with them. Thank you for educating me on that. Who knew cat food was so complicated.

hamhoos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually wouldn't consider meal better than meat. The reason that website rated meal higher than meat is because meal is a more concentrated protein source than meat. When you cook meat it loses moisture and protein. If you had a pet food that lists chicken or chicken meal as the first ingredient, typically it would be the chicken meal that would make up the  greater portion of the total protein for that food. Chicken costs more than chicken meal just due to the way it's incorporated into the food. The only issue with meal is that it (legally) can be made from dead, diseased, dying or disable animals whereas meat cannot. But I think that really depends on the company and their standards of how they make the food. You most likely won't have that issue with a reputable brand. 

But overall I'd say the new Cat and kitten formula isn't as good as the original so finding other options might be a good idea! Grasslands is good from what I've read as well (Acana and Orijen are part of the same company), so just try it out and see how your cat does on whatever you choose :) Just make sure to give him plenty of water!

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has a water fountain and also gets 2 wet food meals a day. The kibble is just for snacking but I still want the best for him. When it comes down to it the important thing is they eat. I also keep a diary of litter box habits and he pees 2x a day about 4-5 oz ea time.
Thank you for all your help and input.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my cats Orijen for sometime, but this last bag I bought my boy Butch broke out all over his back and bum with sores and scabs. We ruled out fleas and anything else it could be, except for food allergies. Figured it was likely the "new recipe" of the Orijen. Took the dry food back and I'm switching them over to Instinct Raw.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They had the new Acana formulas out two months before the food hit stores. There were so many complaints and angry people on their Facebook page not happy about it. Lots of posts were deleted and people were banned.

They are doing the release of the Orijen's differently. They just are not telling anyone saying they are working on a NEW site and will release then.

Many people will not know they bought the new bags until they get home and feed their pets.

Sneaky, irresponsible, and slimey. Then they wonder why we don't trust most American pet food companies.
Two dog forums I belong to and another cat forum are lit up with complaints about Acana.  Vets have been reporting dogs with digestive issues and diarrhea with blood in it.  I called Champion in KY and the rep. I spoke to was extremely defensive.  Our local independent pet store told me when the Champion reps. came to their store they were aloof and apathetic about reports of pets showing signs of illness.  It is my understanding they're using cat fish in Acana and even the Dept. of Kentucky Fish & Wildlife said it would not recommend it for human consumption more than six times a year maximum.  I have not researched the latter statement myself but I feel very strongly about discontinuing Acana for my cat and have already switched him to freeze dried raw and Fromm grain free dry.  So far so good, he loves the freeze dried raw!

Last edited:

siamesekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also used to feed Orijen and started searching for a new dry food brand after the switch. I looked to Canadian manufactured food because I heard they have stricter standards for pet food, and I found FirstMate "Chicken Meal with Blueberries Formula" Limited Ingredient Diet. It is affordable and does not have as many fillers as Orijen does. Plus, no fish!

Potato is listed as the second ingredient and I was initially concerned, but someone did some research and found that it contributed relatively little to the overall protein/calories in the food.