New odd behaviour: Cat wants something and I don't know what

Linnatar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this weird new habit I just don't understand. I was hoping someone here might have some idea

I adopted my cat a year ago and he's about 2 years old now. He's very social, very vocal and likes to play. Well, at least he used to. Recently I've had problems when I've tried to play with him. For some reason he stops playing and starts to meow in a way I don't recognise and just stares at me. When I reach out he runs under the bed or couch. When he comes out he repeats the Same routine. First I thought he just gets tired of playing and wants to quit. That clearly isn't the case since he clearly wants attention ja wants to be active and gets even louder if I put the toy away.

I've tried many things. Actually I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried different toys, playing in different rooms, different times at the day etc. Nothing works. He just stares and meows in a way that sounds like he's agitated or annoyed but runs away the second I move.

He's healthy, eats, drinks and goes to litter box as usual.

I'm very frustrated because I JUS'T DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WANTS.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm lost here.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Two possibilities. Either something you did made him a little skittish and so when there is movement he feels like he needs to hide. I sort of doubt this since he is talking to you about it but if you recall an incident like stepping on a paw or such, that might be what is going on. If so, he will get over it in time.

The other thing I am wondering about is if he wants you to chase him, or find him if he hides? You can try sticking a wand toy under the sofa or bed to see if he wants to play with it there. It’s worth a try. He may just be getting annoyed because you aren’t figuring out the game he wants to play. One of mine liked me to chase her or hide around the corner and then leap out when she came by and would sit in the hallway and yowl when she wanted to play

I would also try to teach him an interactive game like fetch. Most cats can figure it out and will start bringing you their toy when they are ready to start the game. Being able to tell you what they want to do and having you understand is great for a cats confidence.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought is that he wants to chase or be chased. Before I got a second cat I would regularly run around the apartment chasing my only cat and vice versa. Since we have two she hasn’t been interested in engaging me in this anymore, apparently my other cat is better at this :D

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When I reach out he runs under the bed or couch. When he comes out he repeats the Same routine.
I agree with the above posters, yes, most probably he wants to be chased around and play peek-a-boo with you. Some cats like to play hunting games and therefore your kitty likes to hide and make you go find him.

My boy likes to play ambush. He'll go hide and when you go look for him, he'll pounce on you and tap you and then run to another place to take cover and be chased all over the house.

Guess you have to try playing with your kitty this way and I think this is one way he likes to play.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into getting a catio in where they can freely go in and out?