New, need help please

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the clear stuff is normal but the cloudy and green tinge would have been a possible indication of a death in utero, as you found out it was.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kumbulu, why is it a possible sign of death in utero? What is it? What causes it?
Inquiring minds, you know...
Thank you for that little piece of knowledge! I know absolutely nothing about the birthing of kittens, so this has all been extremely exciting and informative for me.

steph&stitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
bossinova,

Have you read my thread on cat labor and mucous? Does that mean my cat has a dead kitten inside her? I intended to take her to the vet ever since I first saw the slight green mucous yesterday, but he isn't open untill tomorrow! I have not seen any more mucous since though. Should I take her to emergency? OMG!! I am freaking out now. My poor Stitchy!!

Steph

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat is about to go into full labor, she will 'lose her plug' as has been described by megan. It is a clump of mucous that should be clear or pink in colour. If the plug has a greenish tinge, it is an indication of either an uterine infection or that one of the kittens has died in the uterus. The green tinge is caused by bacteria.

I'm not sure what the cause of a kitten death in-utero is. It may be due to overcrowding, something genetically wrong with the kitten, an infection or something else. It's not uncommon for a mom-cat to give birth to one dead kitten in a litter where all the others are perfectly healthy.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK guys, let's all not panic here LOL.

Steph, yes, I would take your cat to the vet ASAP. You said she was also not eating so the greenish mucous and not eating may mean she has an infection.

I've had a good question, 'So, if there is a deceased kitten still in utero, can this harm any of the live, healthy ones? Or no, since they all have their own little sack they live in inside of there?'

If a kitten dies in-utero in the first few weeks of the pregnancy, the mom-cat's body will re-absorb the kitten. If it's a bit further along, the mom-cat may give birth to what is called a mummified kitten where it is just a clump of fur and bones as well as the other healthy kitens. If the kitten dies right before the birth, a dead kitten will be born. Usually, the other kittens are not in danger as the mom-cats body is programmed to deal with this.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, 'If it is bacteria, can that be harmful to anyone involved (mom, babies) either?'

Yes, an infection like this can be very harmful and sometimes deadly if left untreated, to both the mom-cat and the kittens. It's important to get the mom-cat seen by a vet ASAP for treatment.

steph&stitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the information. She has been eating and acting normally today. I will still take her to the vet as soon as they open. I do feel more comforted by the statements made by Kumbulu about the mother cat's body knowing how to deal with this. She doesn't seem at all uncomfortable. I just don't want her in pain or in danger while she is waiting to see the vet.
I am over-sensitive when it comes to her now since my other cat Echo was hit by a car two weeks ago. He is not the daddy. He was fixed! We are still not over it yet and now we have a little scare. Whew! And I thought having a human child was tough!

Thanks again everyone for your help,

Steph & Stitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, #6 still hasn't come out, but since it's "normal" to have up to a 24 break in between, I'm not freaking out yet
Mom and the 4 healthy babes are doing great. And the stillborn must have died just prior to, or during delivery. It was fully develloped, and the same size as the rest of them. I am upset that it didn't make it. My son and I will go out somewhere tomorrow afternoon and give it a little funeral. He almost made it, so he deserves it. The ones I thought were black now look grey. They could always darken up though. I have been taking lots of pics, but you'll have to wait until atleast the end of next month until I can get it develloped

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it must have been her stomach or something I was feeling yesterday. She still has 4 babies, and I don't feel anything in there anymore. After eating all that stuff she ate, it could have been her stomach..lol. It was just a big round lump that I felt. But, that's ok. We've got 4 healthy babes, and mom is healthy.
I was pretty cute. When I woke up this morning, I was sitting on the end of my bed looking at Cleo and the babies. She decided to use me as a babysitter while she went potty and ate..lol She was meowing at me while she was in her little bed with the babes, so I went and sat on the floor to pet her, and as soon as I got down on the floor she came out from her bed looked at the babes, looked at me and went and did her thing. Just to see what she'd do, I pretended like I was going to stand up, and she bolted right back under there with her kitts. When I sat back down again, she came back out and had some food. I felt pretty special

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kumbulu... it is true that it is only supposed to be up to four hours if the cat is still in labor... but I have had a few cats that not only went waaaay over 63 days (one was 81, no possiblity of mix ups) and also have had a few cats that had 2 or 3 kittens seemed to stop labor and be done, eat and drink normally, even use the litterbox, and then 24 hours later have another one or two kittens who were fine.
Sillypup5~you've done a great job! It's so exhausting, not only for the momma cat, but the momma on two legs to wait and wait and worry and wait some more!
Based on the green tinge in her mucous plug, I would suggest keeping a close eye on her, especially if you think there is another kitten in there, because it can indicate a dead kitten in there. Sometimes a lump felt in there is just the uterus contracting back to normal, and sometimes it is a retained placenta or kitten.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I am watching her. I can't feel anything in there anymore, so I think it was something else I was feeling, and not a kitten. She is eating and drinking and using the litter box. Everything seems to be great. She isn't having any abnormal discharge or anything.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In post #192, it was supposed to say IT was cute..lol Not I was cute

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL Megan! I'm so glad everything is going well. It really does sound like she trusts you very much with the babies.

pondwader, thankyou for correcting me there. Yes, I should've said 4 hours if the mom-cat is in active labor still.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I felt her belly again today, and I felt that "thing" in there again. Maybe it's her stomach, who knows. Do any of you know of any smptoms she would show if he did retain a kitten? All the placentas were delivered still attatched to the kittens, so it's not a retained placenta. I just really can't afford another vet visit...especially if nothing's even wrong.
Megan

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Megan, if there was a retained kitten, there would be a green or brownish smelly discharge, she would have a fever, possibly be not eating and would appear generally unwell.

sillypup5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok..she's not doing any of that. Thanks
I was surprised at how much she was eating today..lol. She ate about 3/4 of a bowl of kitten chow in one sitting! She seems very happy and healthy, and actually has almost no discharge at all. Thanks Tania! Like always, you put my mind at ease!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No worries Megan, it sounded like she was well and doing fine to me in your other posts but I thought I'd just post the symptoms so you'd know what to look out for just in case. Congratulations Grandma!