New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did try solid gold once & the cats liked it, but I think I made the switch too fast & it gave Isaac the runs. This is very frustrating because I've got about 8 lbs worth of that dry food a whole bunch of NB cans & now I feel like I've got to go spend more money. I know that money shouldn't matter when it comes to my babies, but I'm about to lose my mind. I just spent $70 on food two weeks ago & I just don't have a whole lot of extra this week.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I did try solid gold once & the cats liked it, but I think I made the switch too fast & it gave Isaac the runs. This is very frustrating because I've got about 8 lbs worth of that dry food a whole bunch of NB cans & now I feel like I've got to go spend more money. I know that money shouldn't matter when it comes to my babies, but I'm about to lose my mind. I just spent $70 on food two weeks ago & I just don't have a whole lot of extra this week.
I understand you're frusteration! Many foods....if opened, can be returned to the manufacturer for a refund. I'd call Nutro & ask. If the food is unopened, return it to the store you bought it.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I have heard many good things about their food. It's champion foods that is the companies name. Unfortunately, despite being a Canadian product it isn't available near me at all.
Only just a couple states in the USA have it, as well. BOOOO. MI isn't one of them.

kris2eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed California Natural to my cats & dogs....I found this on the Nutria site.....Lets hope it is true. My dogs eat lamb & Rice by California Natural. I wonder if that will be affected though? I don't know what to do. My cats were eating Natural Balance Venison & Pea. I switched them to California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato two days ago. They are doing fine on it. One cat is IBD, so that is a relief.

Rice Protein Used in Karma is 100% Safe - April 18, 2007
This is to confirm that the organic rice protein concentrate used in our Karma 95% organic formulation IS NOT PURCHASED FROM WILBUR-ELLIS, and Natura Pet Products is not one of the five pet food makers cited in the USA Today article. Natura guarantees that the organic rice protein concentrate used in Karma is not sourced from China and that it is 100% safe and absolutely free from melamine contamination.

Peter Atkins
President

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I understand you're frusteration! Many foods....if opened, can be returned to the manufacturer for a refund. I'd call Nutro & ask. If the food is unopened, return it to the store you bought it.
Thankyou so much for all your help & thanks to everyone for putting up with my crazyness. I'm at work trying hard not to cry!!
Unfortunatly I keep dry food in a sealed container to keep my food burgler (Jordan) out so the nutro is open & out of the bag. Do you think I could return any of the cans of NB food I have that have rice flour in them? I just bought a bunch more the other day. I'll have to look at the differnt flavors I've got & try to retrun some. Another question since my mind is spinning I'm having a hard time keeping track. Is solid gold one of the ones that has low or at least safer grains? This is a crash corse in cat food ingrediants that no one wanted.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Solid Gold does have brown rice. How can I exlain this...Solid Gold is, long story short, technically made by Diamond. As is NB. However, Solid Gold having brown rice...it is unprocessed so might be one of the "safer" foods out there right now(grain free foods aside).

Do you think you're crew would eat any of the grain frees? Orijen, EVO, Core, or Raw Instinct?

You should be able to return un-opened cans. I took a bunch on MAX cat cans back & returned them when they were not part of the recall. When you return the cans, ask if they have any ideas on how you can return the dry food, or else go to Nutro's website & call their customer service number.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my cats would eat anything I put in front of them, the problem is the stomache upset. I tried Wellness when Jordan & Levi were babies & it gave Levi liquid diarreha and every time I've change dry foods Isaac gets the runs (not as bad as what Levi had before). Also do any of those brands have light food? My boys are chunky & should be losing weight.
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think my cats would eat anything I put in front of them, the problem is the stomache upset. I tried Wellness when Jordan & Levi were babies & it gave Levi liquid diarreha and every time I've change dry foods Isaac gets the runs (not as bad as what Levi had before). Also do any of those brands have light food? My boys are chunky & should be losing weight.
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.
I don't know that any are "light" foods. This is where I'm about out of ideas. There is a thread...grain free drys...that you might want to check out & post you're question there. Or else PM sharky to see if she'd suggest one of those for sensitive tummies/weight control.

My Twitch gained a little weight on EVO, but at the time....I highly doubt it was just the EVO.

jkrack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we've been feeding both our babies the Venison dry since February-ish and have not noticed any ill affects. However, the current bag that I'm feeding was purchased around that time. I have two unopened bags that I purchased over the Easter weekend that I will not be feeding.

I'm really frustrated over this situation. I'm not terrificly (is that a word?) angry at the producer because I understand that nothing in life is perfect. I don't believe that this is a result of intentional malice on the part of Natural Balance, but it's still an irritating situation at best. Unfortunately, one of my cats gets awful stool problems when she eats chicken, and the other is highly allergic to fish. Finding a food that doesn't have either of these ingredients is exceedingly difficult, and feeding them separately isn't really an option. I'm going to call my vet today and see if I can finnagle a bag of RX venison and green pea, but I'm unsure if they'll go for it. (They haven't treated my cat with the fish allergy) If not, I'll be home cooking their meals until I can figure out a better solution. Ugh!

Though, I am a little perturbed as to how I'm going to go about getting a refund for their food- the distributor that I purchase my food from is 4 hours away (near my parents). And though I would love to get my 50 dollars back, the cost in gas alone would exceed that. And, I also don't keep receipts.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I can deal with finding a grain free dry food, but what about the NB wet food that has brown rice flour. I just looked at the web site & all of them have brown rice flour. Jordan needs wet food once a day to keep him regular.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kris2eye

I feed California Natural to my cats & dogs....I found this on the Nutria site.....Lets hope it is true. My dogs eat lamb & Rice by California Natural. I wonder if that will be affected though? I don't know what to do. My cats were eating Natural Balance Venison & Pea. I switched them to California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato two days ago. They are doing fine on it. One cat is IBD, so that is a relief.

Rice Protein Used in Karma is 100% Safe - April 18, 2007
This is to confirm that the organic rice protein concentrate used in our Karma 95% organic formulation IS NOT PURCHASED FROM WILBUR-ELLIS, and Natura Pet Products is not one of the five pet food makers cited in the USA Today article. Natura guarantees that the organic rice protein concentrate used in Karma is not sourced from China and that it is 100% safe and absolutely free from melamine contamination.

Peter Atkins
President
Although i do not use any of their products, i am pleased to hear they have put a statement like that out. I hope more companies address the issue too.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Only just a couple states in the USA have it, as well. BOOOO. MI isn't one of them.
That's too bad.

well, i did a bit of research and will make a road trip this weekend to get some
a store closer to me, well an hour round trip will be bringing it in within the month soo if they do like it i can get it more locally, i just need to get ahold of some first to try.

*fingers crossed* they'll actually eat it

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ok, I can deal with finding a grain free dry food, but what about the NB wet food that has brown rice flour. I just looked at the web site & all of them have brown rice flour. Jordan needs wet food once a day to keep him regular.
Are their any other wet foods he can eat? i know wellness makes some grain free styles and innova evo makes a wet also.. their could be more but i admit i am not up on the grain free foods.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, this is going to have to be my last post today. I swear all of this is going to cause me to lose my job. Jordan's tummy isn't that sensitive so he can probably eat any wet food. I went with NB because it seemed to keep him the most satisfied at night & got him to let me sleep. I guess I'll just have to look when I go to the pet store tonight.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After much thought today I've decided that for now i'm going to slowly switch to a grain free dry food, I was going to do it all at once, but they have eaten over half a bag full of the dry food I bought & no one is sick, so rather than change suddenly with no signs of illness I'm going to try to make it easier on their tummys. I'm still in the process of making a decision about the wet food, and until I do they can live on dry for a couple of days. I'm really trying to be reasonable about this while still making the best decision possible for them.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few grain free wet foods. Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Avoderm, By Nature, Evanger's, Solid Gold & Fromm all have grainless varieties. There are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou so much for that info. I'm afraid I owe so many people for today, I'll never repay everyone. I'm so glad to have TCS I'd probably be a total and complete basket case if it weren't for all of you. Well I'm off to the pet store.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I posted this in the recall facts thread, and I didn't see it mentioned here, so...

Natural Balance has added a FAQ regarding their recall.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/faq.html

sorry if it's a repeat.
Thanks for posting that- I hadn't checked their site yet today.

At least they are being more forthcoming about the situation than some other pet food companies. I appreciate the honesty.