New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Edited to say, I think we need HOUSE to get on this pet food recall!
I third (??) it! House would embarrass the He!! out of those companies, it would be a great episode. I could see it, homeless family is dying no disease seems to be the culprit. It seems like poison but what could it be?!?!? (then we find out the family lives off of pet food). The writers would have to make it more unpredictable though.

This is horrible I want to know if felidae is safe. i can't find or afford many of the grain free foods

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

Rang, I know. I think I am ulcerating. Thank god for watching an hour of "House" last night. It got me smiling and even laughing. THen I was back to fretting. I still have one cat who is NOT right since trying the NB Ultra dry. But I no longer think it's food related. Everyone has been on the same foods and he is the only one being weird. I think he might have picked up an infection from GOING to the vets' a week ago. They did a cisto and that *can* be the culprit. Plus he gets so stressed; he is probably just run down. I am weighing taking him in but it's a tough call when you have a cat this stress-filled

Try, try, try not to freak. It won't help and your cats will sense it. If you cant' steer completely clear of grain free (I know that is challenging and our cats all have individual needs and specifications), choose something they have done well with and is not on any recall list, with minimal grains.

We can just cross our fingers, speak out to the proper channels, and watch our cats as thoroughly as possible without going nuts.

Edited to say, I think we need HOUSE to get on this pet food recall!
I was so confident yesterday, then I read what they posted it freaked me out. Of coarse the other night Isaac threw up a bunch of yellow bile, I wasn't super concerned because he's long haired & he pukes fairly regularly. Then last night Jordan threw up yellow bile, but it had a bunch of hair in it. I don't know if I'm being paranoid, or if I should be concerned? They are acting totaly fine other otherwise.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

I third (??) it! House would embarrass the He!! out of those companies, it would be a great episode. I could see it, homeless family is dying no disease seems to be the culprit. It seems like poison but what could it be?!?!? (then we find out the family lives off of pet food). The writers would have to make it more unpredictable though.

This is horrible I want to know if felidae is safe. i can't find or afford many of the grain free foods
Maxy, we do indeed need a superhero at this point. Every time I thought "Well this should be the end of it", there is a new report. It's staggering. Someone said "Paralyzing" earlier and that is *exactly* it.

I guess the saying "it's going to get worse before it gets better' applies

What sucks is we are virtually powerless. I wish I had the wherewithall to make my own cat food. I am highly considering it now (and this is coming from someone who cant boil water). But knowing a few of my cats, they wouldn't even TAKE the homemade.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every freaking food I have has rice!

I think I'm finally going to get a food processor and try making their food. Which is scaring me, because I don't even make my own food (I'm not a cook).

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Every freaking food I have has rice!

I think I'm finally going to get a food processor and try making their food. Which is scaring me, because I don't even make my own food (I'm not a cook).
My toddlers wanted Rice Krispies cereal this morning and I had to think about it first.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay - somebody help me figure this out.

Natural Balance Dry is manufactured by Diamond
Natural Balance Wet is manufactured by American Nutrition in Utah

Natural Balance canned Chicken & Liver PatÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] doesn't have rice or wheat or anything that looks like grains to me.

Ultra, Indoor, Ocean Fish, Salmon, Tuna, and Turkey all have brown rice flour
Venison and Pea has Pea flour (?)

Does that mean it might be "safe" to feed them the Chicken & Liver? I'm nervous about cross-contamination, and also that it may have rice flour and they just neglected to mention that in their list of ingredients.

I swear I'm going to get fired for spending half my time at work researching cat food. Or they're going to cart me away in a straight jacket, because I'm getting close to the breaking point.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked the chicken liver pate too last night and it did not list any rice. But, my one cat who eats it regularly has runny poops all of a sudden. She also eats the turkey. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. to have her checked. I'm not giving her any more NB tonight. I think I'll boil chicken for them. Her stool issue may be totally unrelated, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I'll post tomorrow after my vet visit.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well FWIW, these statements were made in this article

"Along with Diamond, pet-food makers NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] Purina PetCare and Procter & Gamble said Tuesday that they don't use rice protein concentrate in their foods."

Although, i realize Diamond & DVP seem to be part of one another Diamond claims dvp requested that ingredient[the RPC] and they don't use it in their own foods.

here is the link to the article
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...d_N.htm?csp=34

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

And another grain-free that i don't think has been mentioned is Orijen.

:
I have heard many good things about their food. It's champion foods that is the companies name. Unfortunately, despite being a Canadian product it isn't available near me at all.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

I checked the chicken liver pate too last night and it did not list any rice. But, my one cat who eats it regularly has runny poops all of a sudden. She also eats the turkey. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. to have her checked. I'm not giving her any more NB tonight. I think I'll boil chicken for them. Her stool issue may be totally unrelated, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I'll post tomorrow after my vet visit.
Mine have been eating both the chicken and the turkey, and I haven't seen any runny poops. But please let us know what you find out from the vet. I have about $75 worth of NB food that I just bought (by mail) to stock up. This is how my luck always runs.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've been feeding NB Chicken & Liver pate in our rotation of canned foods and haven't had any troubles from it. i bought it because it was the only NB canned food without rice flour in it. and my cats didn't like venison when we tried it 6mo to a year ago, so we didn't have any trouble there.

i think i'm going to stick with the NB ultra i have right now. i checked my other 6lb bag (that's unopened) and the expiration date is the same. i'm not sure what i will do after that though. i might check into california natural or chicken soup when we go on our trip in may. we're visiting my sister and she lives near a bunch of independent stores that sell the good stuff. but i'll see how things shake out in the pet food industry before then.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Does anyone know the names of those other companies?

We need to know who they are.
I didn't see this answered...forgive me if it's a repeat.

I googled "rice protein concentrate" "cat food"...

I DO NOT know if there is any connection in these foods to the BAD RPC, but I do think it's prudent to AVOID all RPC now.

I found a variety of Ultramix DRY food that contains RPC.

I found a few Nutro Natural Choice DRY foods that also contain RPC.

There is an Organix WET food that has organic RPC in it...I should hope something referred to as "organic" is not the SAME RPC, but how do we know?

That's as far as I got. Again, I do not know who the "four companies" are, I'm just passing along what I have found.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, 2 quick questions.

1. are the sick pets happining more in one region than another, or all over??

2. Since my cats ate the venison wet food Sunday night, Isaac puke once on Monday & Jordan once last night. Would anyone call the vet or just watch???

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

OK, 2 quick questions.

1. are the sick pets happining more in one region than another, or all over??

2. Since my cats ate the venison wet food Sunday night, Isaac puke once on Monday & Jordan once last night. Would anyone call the vet or just watch???
1. I don't know.

2. For peace of mind, I would call the vet. However, FWIW 2 of my cats have been eating the wet venison/pea food almost exclusively, for about 2 weeks. They are both fine...in fact, my Precious finally gained several badly needed ounces on this food.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6 months!! does it apply to pet food only? or does it apply to human food as well?

oh my goodness, so we may never know what's exactly in the bag/can even tho we read the label, cuz they might have change the formula 6 months ago...

Originally Posted by sharky

YES the ingrediant s have to be on the BAG but THE FOOD companies HAVE SIX MONTHS to get the PACKAGEING To reflect that change... and NO NOTICE to customers has to be given...

Howl911 get some good info but it is NOT a GOVT agency

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I found a few Nutro Natural Choice DRY foods that also contain RPC.
Yes, i found that one also.. thankfully i had delayed going back to that brand..

I did read though that one of the other compaines who got this RPC tested and theirs was fine?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I did read though that one of the other compaines who got this RPC tested and theirs was fine?
Yeah, but did they really test it & to what extent? I honestly am not all that trusting anymore, no matter what the company says!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yeah, but did they really test it & to what extent? I honestly am not all that trusting anymore, no matter what the company says!
oh i agree.. it's hard to trust anyone right now. I just thought it was interesting and strange.

I hope they track down and release the info on who else used this supplier.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at nutro's site & the dry weight management food contains Rice flour? Is that OK? I'm so confused. I've been feeding Nutro all along with no problems. I bought a new bag a week & a half ago, so I'm guessing there is no problem with the bag I've got or they'd be sick already?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think many members are avoiding either processed rice(like rice flour) or rice period. Or even going grain free completely.

IMO, I would avoid the Nutro weight management. Just to be safe.