New Mumma

Georgia23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all my cat has just had 2 kittens 8 days ago the boy kitten is very chunky where as the girl is still very small and son seem to be gaining weight as fast is this some thING to worry about?
Also how long do I keep mum locked in same room as the babies when can she start roaming the house again?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So the boy is gaining good, and the girl isnt gaining much?
Yes, its potentially alarming. Even if the gain may be in part individual, some gain barely10 grammes a day, and some 25 grammes a day. both are entirely normal.

It easiest to know by weighing them every day. If they gain less than 10 gram a day, you prepare to supplement feed!

Goats milk is excellent, especielly raw. Good are kmr with goats milk as base, for exemple made by.GNC.

PetAg brand KMR in powder, its very good.
But their KMR premixed liquid isnt good.... Hartz too are very uneven.

Most other brands of kmr are OK.

A kitten used to momma is often reluctant to bottle, a little syringe may be easier. In the corner of the mouth, cautiously drop by drop so the kitten swallows. Tummy down, head a little up. Train some before on a dummy, so you are used to the syringe...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Close the door and only let mom out into the rest of the house for an hour a couple of times a day until the kittens are 3-4 weeks old.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep mom and babies 100% inside and away from intact males?

Please weigh the kittens daily. You may need to supplement if they are not both gaining.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the boy is gaining good, and the girl isnt gaining much?
Yes, its potentially alarming. Even if the gain may be in part individual, some gain barely10 grammes a day, and some 25 grammes a day. both are entirely normal.

It easiest to know by weighing them every day. If they gain less than 10 gram a day, you prepare to supplement feed!

Goats milk is excellent, especielly raw. Good are kmr with goats milk as base, for exemple made by.GNC.

PetAg brand KMR in powder, its very good.
But their KMR premixed liquid isnt good.... Hartz too are very uneven.

Most other brands of kmr are OK.

A kitten used to momma is often reluctant to bottle, a little syringe may be easier. In the corner of the mouth, cautiously drop by drop so the kitten swallows. Tummy down, head a little up. Train some before on a dummy, so you are used to the syringe...
Thank u I'm trying to hand feed she just won't take it so doing drop by drop and really hoping for the best... the boy is 8oz the girl is 2.4 Oz I'm so worried as we lost 2 babies at birth and I've become attatched

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going to take then all in to the vets just to see what they say

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the vet knows how to tube feed this could be the best solution for her.
The problem is many vets dont know how or they dont want to show.
Its difficult and risky for a newbe.

Re handfeeding weak ones - little but often, even every hour.