catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nightly update time

IMG_2462.jpeg

This was Phoebe this morning

IMG_2458.jpeg

Daisy was such a good girl today. She had her annual checkup and vaccinations and didn't say a word when I put her in her cage and drove her to the vet, unlike most other visits where she's howled all the way. She's gained weight despite her diet, so the vet suggested trying zucchini. I bought one and steamed it and will try it tomorrow ... I can see it being totally rejected. 😄

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nightly update time

View attachment 476711

This was Phoebe this morning

View attachment 476712

Daisy was such a good girl today. She had her annual checkup and vaccinations and didn't say a word when I put her in her cage and drove her to the vet, unlike most other visits where she's howled all the way. She's gained weight despite her diet, so the vet suggested trying zucchini. I bought one and steamed it and will try it tomorrow ... I can see it being totally rejected. 😄
So there's no chance of "cold shoulder" there! :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :lolup:
You can mash the zuke and mix it in with wet food, yes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So there's no chance of "cold shoulder" there! :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :lolup:
You can mash the zuke and mix it in with wet food, yes?
I could, but Daisy is on dry food. She’s not interested in wet food - if I give her some she doesn’t even eat one sachet in a day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could, but Daisy is on dry food. She’s not interested in wet food - if I give her some she doesn’t even eat one sachet in a day.
Wow. And cat behaviorists, vets and "experts" agree that wet food is much, much preferable to dry in terms of moisture content and nutrients.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. And cat behaviorists, vets and "experts" agree that wet food is much, much preferable to dry in terms of moisture content and nutrients.
I know, I'd love to get her on wet food. But even if she'd eat enough, I'd have to stand guard while she ate, or Phoebe would pinch it, and she has to stick to her presciption food.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a tough one. I only feed wet food, so a little easier to sneak something in that. Can you make the zucchini really soft and mix it with dry? Do you think she would bulk at that?
I did. I suspect Phoebe (the cat who'll sample apples and bananas given the chance) ate it all today. When I came home and tried a little, Daisy refused point blank to have anything to do with it.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Figures.They do have their own minds🤨If your vet is concerned about calories only is there a dry food she can be transitioned to with less calories.Is your vet aware that Daisy eats dry food? Maybe they can give you different options based on that? Our vet always ask what you feed but not all do.
Are they concerned about fiber and hydration and that is why they said to give Daisy zucchini? Or just her calorie intake?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the vet knows the food (Purina Weight Loss) and Daisy's on 45g a day - they calculated the amount, and it's been reduced from what she started on. Hasn't made a jot of difference, she's still gaining.

Her water intake isn't a problem. She drinks freely. The zucchini idea was because it acts as an almost calorie -free filler to sate them. The vet thought if she'd eat it, I could reduce the food to 40g. But I doubt it's going to work, after today's reaction. Plus I'm a bit worried about cutting her food too much, because iirc cats who aren't getting enough will build up fat reserves in self-defence. Not that she even eats her whole 45g a day anyway. Poor baby- so not food driven, but she's the one with the weight problem.

But whatever my concerns, she's a happy purrer right now!

IMG_2474.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ain't that the truth! I don't even have feasible different room arrangements, there's only the bedroom and lounge, and I can imagine the fuss if I closed the door.

I tried mixing some zucchini in wet food this morning. She managed to pick all around it.

Anyone want to buy a zucchini, only slightly used?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ain't that the truth! I don't even have feasible different room arrangements, there's only the bedroom and lounge, and I can imagine the fuss if I closed the door.

I tried mixing some zucchini in wet food this morning. She managed to pick all around it.

Anyone want to buy a zucchini, only slightly used?
Well, I don't think it'd make the journey too well from Victoria to la-la land, but...🥒 (Yes, we have no zucchini emoticons)(But I also love cucumbers, unlike a lot of cats, who are terrified of them for some unknown reason)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't think it'd make the journey too well from Victoria to la-la land, but...🥒 (Yes, we have no zucchini emoticons)(But I also love cucumbers, unlike a lot of cats, who are terrified of them for some unknown reason)
It's because cucumbers resemble snakes, isn't it? At least that's the only suggestion I've seen.