New Mattress = Better Quality Sleep?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a bed from Original mattress factory. Best bed ever. I never dealt with the customer service department so I cant say for sure they are bad or not. The beds are top notch though.

I feel the same way about buying a mattress online. There is just something about buying something I haven't tested myself. I hate dealing with returns and all the hassle, so I like to lie on a bed before I decide on it.

I think Mattress firm has Purple beds. Id like to go lie on one of those.
According to their web site, They do have the Purple beds. I thought about going over this weekend, but DH isn't feeling well and I would like us both to go. Maybe next weekend.

They have Serta, Simmons, Beautyrest, Purple, Sleepys, and Tulo. I need to start researching those brands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking this probably isn't the greatest time to get a good deal on a mattress. I think they usually put them on sale during holidays. Maybe I should tough it out with my old one and see what kind of offers are around on black friday. Ugh. That's so far away.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a bed from Original mattress factory. Best bed ever. I never dealt with the customer service department so I cant say for sure they are bad or not. The beds are top notch though.

I feel the same way about buying a mattress online. There is just something about buying something I haven't tested myself. I hate dealing with returns and all the hassle, so I like to lie on a bed before I decide on it.

I think Mattress firm has Purple beds. Id like to go lie on one of those.
I really like mine. I have had it for 6 or 7 years now and it is still like new. I had no issues with mine so I didn't deal with Customer Service either. Their stores are known for being very low key rather than the hard sell and that was the case for me. I hate dealing with a hard sell salesperson.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a memory foam mattress that I like a lot. I got it shipped from the Costco website (because I have a full-size frame and they don't sell fulls in the store). It's pretty thick, I think the 14-inch. There are still times that I wake up sore and stiff, but since other times I feel fine, I don't know if it's the mattress. I don't toss and turn, and often wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. I don't get too hot, but then I always sleep with a fan on me (I feel like I can't breathe without moving air) so that probably makes a difference.

I like the look of the Purple mattresses. I might get one of those next, although the memory foam beds should last around 10 years so I probably have 5 years left on this one. Who knows what mattress technology will look like then.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
May is the best time to buy a mattress, especially Memorial Day. Other holidays offer good bargains, too.

If your mattress has you sleeping on a slant, you spend your sleep time bracing against the slant, so you definitely don't sleep well. And the lumps and bumps put strains where you don't need them.

It's a very big expense, but our Sleep Number bed is one of the best investments we've ever made. You can get various pillow top options, but don't get the Tempurpedic type topper. It's just too hot. The bed adjusts to your body so you get great support from head to toe. There are some days when you need more or less support, so you just change the sleep number. My hubby's number is a typical 35 (out of 100) while I like a much stiffer 55. We have a king size with individual firmnesses. We also got the flexible bed, and it was worth the extra money. We chose the one that moves the whole bed as one, but you can get those that move individually. I think they're much harder to make up, though. We raise the head to watch TV, and if one of us is a bit stuffy, the elevated head makes breathing easier. My feet used to swell, and I could raise the foot to get relief. If one of you sleeps hotter than the other, there's an additional topper that will heat or cool one side of the bed. It's pretty pricey, and if you both want really different temperatures, you have to buy one for each side. We checked one out and they make a perceptible difference. You can almost fold the bed into a taco, which is good for getting to a cat that's taken refuge from the carrier and a trip to the vet by hiding under the bed.

The Sleep Number long outlasts a regular mattress, too. It has a 10 year warranty. Not only that, but it's modular, so if you want a new pillow top, you just buy it, unzip the old one and zip the new one on. The same with the air chambers and the rest of the mattress.

Whatever you choose, get rid of the lumpy mattress immediately. Your body will thank you for it.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ :ruminating: Anyone here remember water beds ?
I believe the double sided reversible mattress with a new box spring are the best bet . They wear better and last longer because they can be rotated every so often . Not as many manufacturers make them these days but they are still available . The last one I priced was $650. for a firm / full size .
Pleasant dreams ....
:sleep2: ✨

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. That's what we switched from to the Sleep Number. I loved the water bed (motionless) because it was cool in summer and warm in winter. We only had one cat problem when Mouse slipped and put a claw through the mattress. It didn't gush, just seeped sadly. A vinyl patch fixed it just fine. The cats did love to chase the bubbles when we were "burping" it after a top-up.

My husband built a frame with upholstered seating on three sides to match the rest of the furniture. It was beyond over-engineered. Unfortunately, with my bad knees, it got harder and harder to get out of the bed. Otherwise, I suspect we'd still have it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
We FINALLY got a new mattress! It was 50% off on black friday and we had it delivered this week.
We wanted something with firm support but pillowy soft on top. We thought that was what we got, but after sleeping on it for one night, not soft enough.
We already had a 4inch foam mattress topper from our old bed, so we put it on the new one and NOW it's just right!
The only problem is that the old mattress had those low profile box springs. The new one doesn't. So now the bed is so high, my partner literally needs a step stool to get into bed!:lol:
Still, it was wonderful to sleep without fear of rolling off like I did with the old one! :yess: