New Mattress = Better Quality Sleep?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always tired and achey. I'm wondering if some of the problem is our old mattress. It's 13 years old and despite frequent turning it has broken down to the point that I'm laying on a slant. You feel like your about to roll off the edge.
A new one isn't in the budget unless I finance it, something I really don't want to do. Still, if a new one would make a big change in energy and pain levels, I might do it.
Has anyone bought a new mattress and it made a huge difference in how you feel?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I replaced a 15 year old set about 6 or 7 years ago and it made a big difference for me. My old one actually hadn't broken down the way you are describing but I had changed. I had bought the old one when I was 40 and was in my mid 50's when I replaced it. I got what is now an old fashioned two sided mattress and box spring and it was an ortho ultra plush. It still has the firm support but a nice soft plush covering over the springs. I have started feeling a little arthritis in one hip and that plush layer has really helped.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weebeastie: I believe your old mattress has a lot to do with your issues. We are in the same position with a REALLY old mattress, and I just have so many aches and pains and never get a good night's sleep. We are just starting to research what is out there now. It looks like the ones you buy in stores are mid level and wear out quickly, and are marked up 50 percent or more. The higher end ones you can only buy on line (which I don't really want to do).

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has bought a mattress recently and what you think of it. This is so much money, I hate to choose wrong.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see that you are in North Carolina, I can recommend Original Mattress Factory, that is what I have. They are only in certain states but North Carolina is one of them. They have their factory in each state where they are located. They have the traditional two sided mattresses in three different levels as well as memory foam and Euro top mattresses.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear this discussed. I need a new mattress too. Mine is a queen and it has double dips on it, sort of like a double uu. I try to sleep on the hump in the middle, but it's difficult. With the back surgery I need good support to be pain- free. And the ads and commercials are so confusing. Like what's the difference between a $500 mattress and a $ 1000 one?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear this discussed. I need a new mattress too. Mine is a queen and it has double dips on it, sort of like a double uu. I try to sleep on the hump in the middle, but it's difficult. With the back surgery I need good support to be pain- free. And the ads and commercials are so confusing. Like what's the difference between a $500 mattress and a $ 1000 one?
I think often the only difference is $500. Everyone is different when it comes to a mattress, what works for one is no good for another. The main thing I use reviews for is durability, to know what works for someone they just have to go to a store and lay down on different ones.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a mattress 3 years ago and 2 years later it was in terrible shape and sagging in the middle. Last year, I bought a new one online actually and never even tested it and it's worked out pretty well. I had to get used to sleeping on a mattress that was flat and not saggy, :p but it's been working out well for me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the mattress I have. I bought it in September 2015. I love it SO much. It is without question the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on and I sleep like a cat on it. The girls love it too. I love it so much that less than a year later I bought the same mattress for DD. I have a king sized and hers is a queen. She loves hers too. Yes. I bought it online. I'd do it again.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ1A9M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to try out a mattress in a store and once I found one I liked, order it online for less money. The problem is that it seems the ones they have in the store have different model names than what you find online. It's frustrating because after trying them out at the store I know there is a difference in the feel of Serta mattresses for example even if they are of the same firmness depending on the model. I really don't want to buy one without trying it out, so I will probably have to go through a store and pay the mark up.:( At least I will know what I'll be getting.
Currently my guest bedroom is packed up waiting on me to get the energy to paint a couple of rooms in the house. Once that is done I think I will sleep on that bed for a few nights. Maybe that will let me know if my issues are from my mattress or just from getting old. Gee, I hope it's the mattress. At least there's something I can do about that!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would advise from my experience, that you don't get a memory foam or anything mixed with memory foam mattress. Mine is so hot that I put it in the guest room and bought an adjustable bed that has a cooler mattress. I read about the mattress that Kat0121 Kat0121 posted about here. Then I saw the Tuft & Needle mattress description. Theirs is made with a bottom treatment to keep the mattress cool. It's just $125 more than the memory foam one. When I'm ready to replace mine I'm going to try it out in the store and see how i like it. It's medium firm so sounds good for our arthritis pain.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I tried a memory foam and it made me sweat and be too hot even with blankets on top of it. If you get cold easily you may have luck with it. I like a medium firm bed. I too need to invest in a new mattress. Right now I've been sleeping on my couch but it's made for laying down on. It's extra wide seat so it feels like a twin bed. I am curious about a sleep number bed...anyone have one? I guess I just need to take the plunge. My mattress is definitely old. My dad bought it in the 2000s and gave it to me when I moved here if memory is correct. and time has slipped by. I haven't slept on my bed since 2008? It's been years. I flip the couch cushions and so far no dip in the middle but I have 2 couches. I take turns sleeping on one then another. I know it's not ideal but I get the best sleep in my living room with tv on low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I get hot easily and prefer to sleep in a cold room. I like a softer mattress but the foam ones in the store felt weird. There are a lot of companies making mattresses that are supposed to pull the heat from your body, but I don't know if that really works.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 3 years back I bought a really REALLY cheap and terrible bed, but at the time it was that or the floor. The bed held up for awhile but it has since become a big problem. I currently have about 5 inches of memory foam toppers to soften it to the point where I don't feel like I got hit by a bus when I wake up. I feel a new mattress would be beneficial to my quality of sleep.

I've spent a few months reading about different beds online and I may go look at some beds this weekend. There are so many innovations in beds nowadays that you don't have to settle for inner spring. I have been particularly curious about the hybrid beds,that have pocketed coils, but memory foam on top.

I am a hot sleeper, so I am afraid if I got a full on memory foam(as glorious as the pressure relief would be) I would be sweating all the time.

Beds are one of those things where you get what you pay for, and it shows. You buy cheap and you pay for it in body aches and a sore back 24/7.

I have had a bed that cost close to, if not slightly more than $1,000. It was by far the best bed I ever had. But I have my current bed that I paid like $200 for, and its a mess.

I just need my bedroom to be a Zero Gravity chamber or something, can't have aches and pains if no joints are under pressure....I wonder how the spinal alignment would be?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The bed absolutely makes a difference! At MIL's we sleep on a super firm old bed and I have to walk off the aches and pains many mornings. Especially if DH sleeps with me. If he stays in another room with one of the kids I sleep diagonal and it feels much better.

DH is really funny about his sleep. He just doesn't function if he doesn't get his 8+ hours. (Drove me nuts when the kids were infants!) So he's quick to get a new bed when we've needed one. We've financed a couple but always with so many months interest free and we try to pay them off. We've had to buy our kids beds so we've purchased 3 in just the last 6 years. :rolleyes:

We have a memory foam bed but it's not by Tempurpedic. I don't have an issue with it being too hot but I do go through some phases where I wake up stiff and sore. I think it's usually when I sleep hard and don't move much during the night. We got one with more "cloud foam" at the top so to me it was more comfortable than the tempurpedic brand ones we tried. I need to order a new mattress cover but the bed itself has held up excellently! It's definitely lasting longer than our old pillow top bed. I'm having a harder time finding a waterproof cover that doesn't make noise or reflect heat. When I lay on my kids beds it feels so different I'm glad we didn't get a traditional mattress.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that you are in North Carolina, I can recommend Original Mattress Factory, that is what I have. They are only in certain states but North Carolina is one of them. They have their factory in each state where they are located. They have the traditional two sided mattresses in three different levels as well as memory foam and Euro top mattresses.
I've read some bad reviews of the mattress factory, mostly in regard to their customer service.

We have the Mattress Firm nearby, I may go look there.

2018 Mattress Buying Guide: Find The Best Mattress Online

Apparently, the trend is going toward buying them online because you can avoid the markup. I have a hard time even thinking about buying a mattress that comes compressed in a box. I've been reading how difficult it is to return them if you don't like them.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read some bad reviews of the mattress factory, mostly in regard to their customer service.

Apparently, the trend is going toward buying them online because you can avoid the markup. I have a hard time even thinking about buying a mattress that comes compressed in a box. I've been reading how difficult it is to return them if you don't like them.
I had a bed from Original mattress factory. Best bed ever. I never dealt with the customer service department so I cant say for sure they are bad or not. The beds are top notch though.

I feel the same way about buying a mattress online. There is just something about buying something I haven't tested myself. I hate dealing with returns and all the hassle, so I like to lie on a bed before I decide on it.

I think Mattress firm has Purple beds. Id like to go lie on one of those.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That is exactly why I bought mine from Amazon.I knew that if there was a problem that they would make it right. I read the reviews and someone bought the mattress and it didn't work out. They contacted customer service who issued a refund. When the person asked about how to send it back, the rep said DON'T because we cannot resell it. They told them to donate it or whatever.

As far as buying it compressed in a box? It was no issue whatsoever. I moved it and set it up all by myself. I had everything set up for it, put the shrink wrapped mattress on the platform that I bought in place of a box spring, carefully cut the shrink wrap and it decompressed in front of my eyes in minutes. I left it to air out overnight but did not need to because there was NO smell whatsoever. I will never shop in a mattress store again. I also moved and set up DD's by myself. I liked mine so much that I bought hers as a birthday gift. She loves hers too.