New Kitten

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Help needed! I have a 3 year old deaf rescue cancelled Leon. After much thought decided to open my heart to another rescue a 10 week old kitten. Have 2 of everything beds, bowls a nd litter trays.
The kitten is in the spare room and leon sleeps in the kitchen and has free range of the house.
The kitten has slipped past the door a few times when I have been entering the room and come face to face with Leon. Kitten just purrs Leon spits and growls. Have plugged in a Feliway to try and help.
My husband says we should just let them meet. But I'm worried I don't want either cat unhappy. I am very stressed.
What can I do and will they ever get on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give Leon more time to adjust to the newcomer. While some hissing is normal you want him to be a little calmer before taking the next step and definitely before face to face meetings. Do some scent swaps so each has a change to get comfortable with the other’s scent. Then I would try the kitten in the carrier so Leon can get closer while the kitten is still safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Just don't want them to end up hating each other. The kitten is completely unfazed by it all, it's Leon who is very upset. I've being stroking Leon and then the kitten and back to Leon again with an old sock to try and mix smells.
Not sure how long to give them to get comfortable with each other?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
Not sure how long to give them to get comfortable with each other?
It could just be a matter of days or it could be weeks. It really just depends on Leon’s pace adjusting. Usually with young cats like Leon it goes fairly quickly but you really just need to let it play out and take the next step when Leon seems calmer.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Read the article. Tried letting Leon see the kitten in a carrier, he watched for a while,then hissed and walked away. He doesn't seem to bothered being in the same room, he just doesn't want the kitten close up. I would love to try cat music but it won't work with Leon as he is deaf.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cats tend to accept kittens more easily, than same age cats.

Give it time and do as what was suggested above. Hissing and growling are normal. My older cat Bourbon still hisses and growls and even swats at my smallest cat, until now. But when she thinks nobody is looking she grooms my Graham. Sometimes I think it is just a matter of pride. Bourbon has a reputation to uphold. She must not show any signs of tenderness or weakness, especially to kittens. LOL.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Leon is ok with the kitten so long as it doesn't get to close. If the kitten gets to close Leon tends to growl and hiss. We have had the occasional bop on head.
They will eat treats next to each other, but as soon as they finish Leon gives a hiss.
Today the Kitten chased Leon up the stairs with no problems and they had a little boxing match, until Leon brave up and went back to hissing and walking away.
Don't know if this means things are getting better or not

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hissing is ok, as it's a way of communicating for a cat. It's blood or fur flying, or if one cat is scared or stressed, or not eating/acting normally that you need to worry. It sounds like they're just working things out, and possibly your kitten being taught kitty manners by your older cat.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. Last night they spent about 10 minutes chasing each other and swatting from behind furniture, before Leon decided enough was enough and went back to warning hisses and low growls.
I just wonder if Leon finds it difficult because he's deaf. He can't hear the kitten coming or hear him purring.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Leon is gorgeous! :catlove:

Not sure about his not hearing the kitten, it sounds like things are moving in the right direction, so that's definitely good.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So little update Leon and the kitten have been chasing each other around this morning, but still with the odd yowl and hiss. Is this just Leon telling the kitten he's had enough.
Also I've noticed it anyone comes to the house or visit Leon goes back to growling at the kitten.
Any thoughts please.

Leonslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nearly 2 weeks now. Sometimes Leon is fine with the kitten, they touch noses, just follow one another or walk past. Sometimes they chase other. Leon still had plenty of down time, but he is still hissing and yowling and batting the kitten.
I just want them to get along. Should it get better as the kitten gets older and less manic.
it would break my heart to have to hand little Bertie back to the rescue.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should get better once the kitten gets older they are full of energy and always want to play, leon probably just gets fed up with kitten wanting to play and chase two weeks isn't that long, And they boop snoop already just take it slow the kitten will learn what he can get away with.