New kitten won't come out of carrier(I've read the Sticky)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No... He's the same size she is, believe it or not. He's 4 months and she's 9 mo's. He's not crying, he's just rolled over on his back like he's saying "Uncle" and she's still attacking him. It's like she's getting revenge for when he first came here :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I keep telling her she better watch out b/c according to his paws, tail, and ears... He's gonna be a lot bigger than she is:D

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been reading with great interest about your two beautiful cats.  I've had my new kitten since Monday evening and things are going quite well for everyone.  I chose not to do a slow introduction over a few days but rather a gentle introduction once my other buddies came into the room in which I placed my kitten's carrier.  I've given open access to her so that she could come and go knowing the other cats (2 adult) and our crazy Mini Australian Shepherd of just 1 1/2 years old, can't get at her once she is in her carrier.  So far, the oldest cat is interested and they will nose each other and rub up against each other.  The other cat is notoriously a loner and sniffed her carrier hissed and walked away and the dog is madly in love.  Surprisingly, the kitten seems to love the dog too. 

I've never done a slow introduction of any cats I've had in the past and, for me, it always seems to work.  Actually, I've decided to remove the carrier and just keep a blanket for my kitten so that she will know that it is her safe spot which I keep on the sofa where we all congregate as a family.  I want her to know that we (especially me) are her safe people and that she doesn't need to hide if she is scared.  I'm hoping, like my cats in the past, she will see that we are her safe place/people and if there is a problem she will seek us out rather than hide.

An interesting situation happened many years ago with a beautiful orange long-haired boy we had.  I wasn't aware that he was having urinary problems, so he followed me into the bathroom and actually peed in the white sink.  It was surprising to me as he had always used the litter box and never peed anywhere but in the box.  What he showed me was that his urine had blood in it.  I immediately took him to the vet and sure enough, he had a problem.  Luckily a short course of medication and a change in food did the trick.  I had 4 cats at that time.  Amazing how smart they are!  All my cats have been smart and tell me in their own way if there is a problem or what it is they want. 

I'm sorry for this long-winded response, but I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that your cats are not only beautiful but smart and they will figure out on their own who will be top cat.  What's important is that in the long run, they truly know that you are the ultimate leader and someone they can trust to 'be there' for them.  If they fight, make sure it isn't vicious...it generally is just play.  If it does get vicious, then you will need to address that.  I used a time out method with an old cat I had years ago and it seemed to work.  Beyond that, all my cats have gotten along whether it is by ignoring the others or by being best buddies.  Your cats will figure it out.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spaying and neutering can be done way earlier now than when I got my first kitten 40 years ago.  Even my daughter's cat that is 12, she had to wait till it was about 6 mos. old.  Now, the little kitten I got on Monday, came already spayed and according to her records, it was done when she was just around 12 weeks old.  Where I live, many of the rescue organizations are doing that to try and keep the population down with so many kittens/cats that need homes and as an added incentive for people to get a rescue cat.  When you add it all up, the little one pays for a rescue cat that has it's shots and is spayed/neutered, doesn't even come close to what it would cost to have all that done on even a free kitten. 

It is truly overwhelming how many cats there are that don't get adopted especially black cats.  Anyway, that's off topic...It appears that spaying and neutering can be done much earlier now and from what I've read, the earlier the better to prevent the cat from spraying.  I actually asked this question of a breeder of Siberian cats and that particular breeder does not release a kitten to a new home until it is spayed or neutered. 

Talk with your vet and see what he/she has to say, but I know it can be done pretty early and my little one only has an incision that is about half and inch long.  Let me know what your vet says as I'm curious if this is the general practise for all areas and not just where I live.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guideline for most vets is that the kitten be at least 2lbs, regardless of age.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If that's the case, then my kitten just made the 2 lb. mark when they spayed her.  When I adopted her, she was still 2 lbs.  I haven't weighed her since taking her to my own vet the day after adoption, but I'm guessing she has definitely put on weight.  She seemed so frail when I got her and now she seems to be thriving.  She loves it if I sit with her when she eats....She takes some food, purring the whole time and then comes over to me for a pat and then goes back to eating again.  I'm absolutely crazy about this kitten!

Thanks for the info bigperm20.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my new kitten is maybe 7 weeks old. She is a female. When is the earliest I could have her fixed?
My vet practices early desexing, I get my litters done at 10 weeks. 10-12 weeks is usual with breeders here.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet practices early desexing, I get my litters done at 10 weeks. 10-12 weeks is usual with breeders here.
With your kittens, does the weight of the kitten factor in or is it just age or both?  My kitten seems so small for this operation, but it hasn't slowed her down any at all.  I got her just one week after her spaying and now it's been a week today that she has lived with us.  As we speak, she is running around like a mad fool enjoying herself.  Sweet little Lily...Maybe I should have named her Roadrunner!...LOL

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens are always over 1kg by 10 weeks

Little ones recover almost instantly from the operations

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red points are wonderful to watch slowly change, the last photo of the pair is lovely

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the nice compliments.

Check out Leonidas' tail in pic # 9... No, that is not an optical illusion; it is incredibly long for his age :eek:

Last edited:

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is one long tail and I did notice it when I first looked at all the pictures.  He certainly is a handsome fellow.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How nice that they are resting near each other....Yay!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree. I always make sure to give them lots of love and treats if if catch them sitting or sleeping near each other. It doesn't happen too often unfortunately, but maybe the bond will continue to thrive.