New kitten vs. resident cat discipline

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This isn't so much a request for advise as it is just something I find humorous I want to comment on, although by all means provide insight if you think it's helpful!

River (7 next month, I've had him for 5 years and 1 week) is my first cat, and he was always been extremely well behaved. Even outside the house, if I take him to the vets or to someone else's house, he immediately explores with no hesitation. He's mostly calm on a train on a leash. He has excellent discipline inside the house, he knows boundaries and what 'no' means (or at least what the tone of my voice means). He knows he needs permission to come in the kitchen, so will always wait a few seconds outside the boundary and if I say no, most of the time he won't enter, and if he does, he'll leave the second I tell him again or take a step towards him. No matter how much he wants to steal my chicken legs, he knows he's not allowed - if he's feeling bold, he'll creep towards it, but I just have to speak up and he'll back off, usually now he just sits next to the plate and stares at it. Anytime he does something I want him to stop, he'll stop the second I speak up. A really good boi.

Because I've been spoiled by his good behaviour it never occurred to me Lillie, my 9 week old new kitten, would not have that discipline. Second I open the kitchen door and she's nearby, she's trotting right to it, catching me by surprise when I'm holding all my dishes. She obviously doesn't understand 'no'. And she was making persistent efforts to my lasagne last night which meant I spent 5 minutes being a human treadmill of moving her back to the right side of my desk only for her to immediately walk across it to my lasagne on the left side.

I guess I need to learn cat training. I was planning on leash training her (River is pseudo-leash trained, but because I live in an urban area, I rarely use it in rural areas, and so now he's associated wearing it with having to go near roads or into his carrier primarily, which has put him off - when he reaches the vet or rural area he's fine walking on it - hopefully I can build up a better association for Lillie), guess I need to teach her the other things too! Hopefully River will help????? Do cats learn boundaries from older cats???

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Training kittens is hard! No, I don't think they learn stuff like "don't climb the curtains" etc etc from older cats. They may eventually learn "don't bug me when I tell you to back off or you'll get a smack down" from the older cat, if the older cat is inclined to try and teach that (not all are able or willing) but even that isn't entirely certain, and I think thats pretty much the extent of it.

Stay off the desk training is possible, but I'm not entirely sure about stay off the desk while I'm eating something. Might be a distinction they can't draw. I still have occassional problems with it with my 6 year old who is pretty well behaved generally. To the extent he doesn't come on the desk when I'm eating at the desk, I think its more because there is generally no room. I sometimes set up a little fort so he can't get to me, lol.

You'll have to keep us posted. Maybe you are a genius trainer we can all get advice from. Or maybe you got really lucky with your first cat! Haha, no offense, but you can guess what I'm voting!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you are a genius trainer we can all get advice from. Or maybe you got really lucky with your first cat!
I mean River was mostly well behaved when I got him from my friend I adopted him off, I think the only learning curve was us learning to communicate, River learning the intent behind my tone and me reading his body language. Not much effort there on my side, so guess I put in the work now with Lillie!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your friend likely did some good training, although many cats chill out a lot and some get pretty easy when they get older! Its been a while since I had a real terror of a kitten, my last one was pretty easy, but going on the kitchen table and scatching couches is sort of the minimum you'll need to train them out of, and if your unlucky there will be climbing drapes, play biting and other issues :)