New Kitten suckling from Non Mum car

Suelyng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jess , my 1and half year old cat had one kitten in the Summer , that unfortunately died at 3 weeks old .... she then went on to have a miscarriage ( she has now been spayed) ..... we recently adopted a new kitten , who is now approx 14 weeks old .... this new kitten was fully weaned etc ...... lately she has been trying to feed off Jess ( Jess lies there quite contently) .... my issue is that she sucks from just one nipple.... all the hair has gone from around this nipple and it’s beginning to look quite sore .... what should I do ?

Bonbonche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kitten might be doing it for comfort. My cat last year gave birth to 3 kittens we kept one, he was sucking on one specific nipple even at as old as 5 months. She was letting him too. The vets back then said its okay as long as momma allows it. She would make him stop if it hurt. But i remember the fur around that nipple lost colour for a while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your cat is fine with it then it’s okay, but you’ll want to apply coconut oil, olive oil, or bag balm to the nipple and mammary area to prevent further chapping and soreness. Apply 2-3 times a day as needed.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will the kitten use a fuzzy blanket or doll? Mines an adult and used to suck on the nipples of one male cat in particular.. Or tried human nipples. Now she uses a specific fuzzy blanket and sometimes her own thumb and rarely seeks human nips. I got this to work by moving her to the blanket every time she started nursing and eventually she used the blanket instead.

I'll note that the blanket should only be used for the sucking and therefore not be washed with chemicals; and rinsed thoroughly after washes when and if washing is ever needed. I wouldn't count on them growing out of the habit though as mine's 2 whole years old and still sucks her blanket nightly.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If jess is letting the kitten no problem just try to keep a eye that her nipple doesn't get to sore. Hopefully the kitten will grow out of this habit. But like others have said l have a 2 year old that sucks the shoulder of my PJs only at bedtime and not for long a couple of mins every night before he curls up next to my leg to sleep. It's a comfort thing.