New kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey guys Im going to introduce them to kibble+formula milk (gruel) after next week. (after 5th) tomorrow they turn 4 weeks. They show a lot of interest in thr mother cats food again and again. Im just afraid to make the step considering they have tinyy teeth. Is that good?
the kibble:
Google Image Result for https://cdn.royalcanin-weshare-online.io/BOcpdn8BaPOZra8q2dU7/v207/sol-mother-babycat-dry-packshot-b1?fm=jpg&auto=compress

the formula:
Google Image Result for https://webshop.fressnapf.hu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/1006623.jpg

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey
soo they have tried the gruel (mentioned above) yesterday for the first time. (Before they would just lick the formula off the kibble) theyre not used to it yet and Im teaching them the litter box. Occasional accidents etc, now

they do pee but I have not witnessed a single poop yet. There isnt any place they could have secretly pooped in that I dont know of. My question is, are they likely not pooping because they havent had solid food yet? (except yesterday) Will poop form after adjusting to the gruel?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
my kittens are almost 6 weeks old (39 days) and I havent witnessed them pooping once. My cat does clean their behinds but the kittens can already pee on their own so shouldnt they be pooping on their own too? I feed them the following:
the kibble:
Google Image Result for https://cdn.royalcanin-weshare-online.io/BOcpdn8BaPOZra8q2dU7/v207/sol-mother-babycat-dry-packshot-b1?fm=jpg&auto=compress

the formula:
https://webshop.fressnapf.hu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/1006623.jpg

mixed together, the kibble is specifically made to hydrate and get soft when liquid added. They eat it well, they gain well, they play a lot, run a lot, sleep normally, belly are soft and they pee normally aswell.
There isnt any place they could have secretly pooped in that I dont know of.

My question is, are they likely not pooping because they havent had solid food yet? Will poop form after adjusting to the gruel? And how can I effectively make them poop? Are there any telltale signs theyre constipated?

CatsFan4Life

Shawna
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had them for that you haven't seen any poop? If you've had them since birth it's most likely the mom cat's been eating it as she licks their bums. Gross, but nature. 😅

They should be able to use a litter box when provided. Look for large, firm bellies and straining in the litter box for constipation. I've seen unflavored canned pumpkin recommended before and I personally use Lax-A Day® (Polyethylene glycol 3350 or PEG 3350) for my senior cat's megacolon/Chronic constipation. I'd check with a vet for doses and safety before giving kittens any though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They do seem a bit old not to be pooping on their own, but since there is more than one kitten, not all of them are likely to be having the exact same problem (except - see below about parasites). It would stand to reason mama is still eating their poop. You asked about not pooping because they are not on solid food - isn't that what the kibble is that you are feeding them? Is it possible that their poop is a bit watery-like and looks like pee in the litter? Or the combination you are feeding them could be supplemented by a few drops of olive oil to help move things along?

You can try to hand stimulate them to poop by holding them over a litter box and gently rubbing their anus with a soft warm moistened cotton pad - probably best soon after they eat. You might also consider setting up a baby cam to watch and see if the mama is still stimulating them and eating their excrement.

It could be that the kittens have parasites which can sometimes lend to constipation, but it would seem so would mama then - that being the case you could take a sample of mama's poop to the vet to have it checked out.

Last edited:

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you had them for that you haven't seen any poop? If you've had them since birth it's most likely the mom cat's been eating it as she licks their bums. Gross, but nature. 😅

They should be able to use a litter box when provided. Look for large, firm bellies and straining in the litter box for constipation. I've seen unflavored canned pumpkin recommended before and I personally use Lax-A Day® (Polyethylene glycol 3350 or PEG 3350) for my senior cat's megacolon/Chronic constipation. I'd check with a vet for doses and safety before giving kittens any though.
I have them since their birth. The thing is they are not even trying to poop lol they use the litterbox for pee and that's it no straining or anything

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. They do seem a bit old not to be pooping on their own, but since there is more than one kitten, not all of them are likely to be having the exact same problem (except - see below about parasites). It would stand to reason mama is still eating their poop. You asked about not pooping because they are not on solid food - isn't that what the kibble is that you are feeding them? Is it possible that their poop is a bit watery-like and looks like pee in the litter? Or the combination you are feeding them could be supplemented by a few drops of olive oil to help move things along?

You can try to hand stimulate them to poop by holding them over a litter box and gently rubbing their anus with a soft warm moistened cotton pad - probably best soon after they eat. You might also consider setting up a baby cam to watch and see if the mama is still stimulating them and eating their excrement.

It could be that the kittens have parasites which can sometimes lend to constipation, but it would seem so would mama then - that being the case you could take a sample of mama's poop to the vet to have it checked out.
both of the kittens havent pooped tho. The kibble isnt solid food because its put in KMR or water and becomes very soft. I checked the litterbox and theres only pee (looks like pee) they don't do that straining when they go either so theyre just peeing. Can I use any olive oil? No dangers at all? I tried the method with rubbing their behinds but they literally fell asleep lmao how long should I do it for it to work? At the moment Im fulltime home and watching them, Im not sure if Ive seen the mom cat do that 'slurping' when cleaning their behinds but Ill watch. The thing is I wouldn't know where my mom cat could possibly have caught parasites. Shes been staying at home since her pregnancy and she hasnt had any symptoms either. She eats normally she pees and poops normally, normal weight gain etc Its like the kittens dont know the poop skill

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can get parasites even if they are only inside. It only takes a single flea to get parasites or being exposed to a single poop of a cat or other animal to spread them. Catching a mouse or other creature can cause parasites as well. The mom could even have gotten a parasite from her mom. Are the bellies bloated looking ? Stimulating their bottom right after they wake up or right after they eat is the best time to do it. It takes gentle, slight pressure, like the mother licking, and doing it from the bottom of the anus and up towards the tail. As stated, a fecal test of the mom is the easiest way to determine parasites. If the food is very moist, they may have very liquid stool.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can get parasites even if they are only inside. It only takes a single flea to get parasites or being exposed to a single poop of a cat or other animal to spread them. Catching a mouse or other creature can cause parasites as well. The mom could even have gotten a parasite from her mom. Are the bellies bloated looking ? Stimulating their bottom right after they wake up or right after they eat is the best time to do it. It takes gentle, slight pressure, like the mother licking, and doing it from the bottom of the anus and up towards the tail. As stated, a fecal test of the mom is the easiest way to determine parasites. If the food is very moist, they may have very liquid stool.
there are literally no other animal anywhere near them, things like mice are very rare in my area and she doesnt eat anything but cat food. The mom cat has been dewormed before and she has no symptoms whatsoever... The bellies of the kittens look fairly normal not bloated and not hard. They eat this; mostly put in KMR sometimes warm water.

Attachments

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also should I do it after every meal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin feeding them proper canned wet food - no fish flavors. Use pate-style only. At 6 weeks they are old enough to learn to eat it and should begin having normal poops. They should not need stimulating to go at 6 weeks.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
proper canned kitten food? Does what i feed them not suffice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens need as much nutrition as they can get, and wet food is best for providing that nutrition and moisture. It’s superior to dry food and should get them pooping. You can still set out dry kitten chow for between meals.

Kittens grow fast and need to gain a pound a month for the first few months. Most are constantly hungry and need several meals a day.

• Purraise
Reactions: kuu

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but it Is wet food its kibble made for weaning kittens made to be dunked into water or milk so theyre definitely not lacking moisture. Today I tried a method Ive seen to get them to poop but no avail. Their bellies are really really soft and Im sure theyre not constipated, perhaps its the mom cleaning the kittens Idek... Is there wet food for kittens under 2 months available? And what do you think about the pictures Ive sent? is it liquid poop?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kibble that is made wet with water or formula is not the same as canned wet cat food. Fancy Feast makes canned kitten wet food, or you can feed any brand pate-style food - just no shreds or chunks.

I’m not going to debate the point with you. They need canned wet food.

I cannot tell if that is pee or poop in the picture, but the kittens need to poop kitten-sized semi-soft logs.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
alright Ill try my best, do you think the food intake they have is the cause for no proper poop?