New Kitten Question - Preventing Viruses

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I’ll be bringing a new kitten home in a few weeks (he’ll be 10 weeks old with his first round of shots complete) and I currently have a 9-year-old Yorkie-Poo at home (who is current on all vacations and healthy). I’ve been reading about all of the virus’s that kittens can contract when they are still young and haven’t completed all their shots yet - and I’m kind of freaking out.

My boyfriend and I live in an apartment complex so our dog has to be walked multiple times a day to go potty - is there a possibility that her being outside could bring viruses into the home? Something that wouldn’t effect her but could the kitten?

Are there any precautions we should take? Such as wiping our dogs paws down after walks? Hand washing? Shoe removal?

My biggest fear is having the kitten get sick over something preventable on our end so I want to make sure we are being safe as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
You can certainly wipe his paws, wash hands and take off shoes to help cut down the chances.
You could check with your vet regarding when s/he feels your tiny will be less vulnerable and will have a stronger immune system.
In part it depends on how long the kitten was on mamas milk, but even so, I think your precautions are well thought out :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
You can certainly wipe his paws, wash hands and take off shoes to help cut down the chances.
You could check with your vet regarding when s/he feels your tiny will be less vulnerable and will have a stronger immune system.
In part it depends on how long the kitten was on mamas milk, but even so, I think your precautions are well thought out :)
Thank you for the feedback! I get him December 10th so I’ll have a vet visit within a day or two after bringing him home, just trying to get a heads up on it all. Wanna make sure little guy stays safe! Thank you again!

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
upload_2018-11-19_8-55-6.jpeg
upload_2018-11-19_8-55-21.jpeg

He was 6 weeks old in this picture, he’s about 7 weeks now. I’m going to visit him this weekend and then get to bring him home December 10th, so he’ll be 10 weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite honestly, I've never known an indoor kitten kept under normally healthy circumstances who has gotten any virus other than a cold/URI, and even that isn't common if there are no other cats in the home. Unless your area is just infested with sick stray cats, I wouldn't worry about tracking anything in. At 10 weeks he should have a nice robust immune system so everything should be fine.

He's a real cutie! Enjoy!

Tilly06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quite honestly, I've never known an indoor kitten kept under normally healthy circumstances who has gotten any virus other than a cold/URI, and even that isn't common if there are no other cats in the home. Unless your area is just infested with sick stray cats, I wouldn't worry about tracking anything in. At 10 weeks he should have a nice robust immune system so everything should be fine.

He's a real cutie! Enjoy!
Thank you for your response! This puts my mind at ease, I think I am just being a little over the top, but i'd rather be safe than sorry! There are some stray cats near by, but never in the areas where we take our pup.

thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think too, the only virus he most likely may have is the feline herpes virus and that is very common. (kitty cold) L-lysine helps with that. They get runny nose and eyes, may sneeze. Since he will have had his first shots the likelihood of him getting anything is greatly reduced. call your vet and ask or ask when you bring that cutie in!