New Kitten - Need Help!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
keep traffic to a minimum. only one person should be in the room. if you are stooping over and looking at her under the bed, please don't. trust me, ignoring her and seeing to her needs on a routine basis is the quickest way to gain her trust. yes, she is afraid of the bigness of the house. her litter boxes should be in the same room with her away from her food and water source. don't carry her anywhere, just let her explore on her terms. i know it is hard and you are impatient to have her a part of your life, but move slowly with her. they don't like changes in their routine and it is a far cry from being stuck in a cage and played with, versus being in a new, bigger room with all sorts of cool places to hide because you are so scared. anything bigger than her right now constitutes a threat to her. you need to get down to her level which is why sitting on the floor and reading out loud is a great ice breaker. check this thread out if you have time to read a lot- although your cat isn't a feral you can still find some good advice given here

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11395

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSTAR

Since i've moved her to my room shes been moving around and not hiding, shes been playing wit her toy and running around!
This is great! She definitely has a connection with you, and feels more comfortable with your scent and presence. I would keep her in your room for atleast a day or two, with her food, water, and litter. Let her settle in and really get to know you, your space, scent and voice. Then she will want to venture out and explore more, but always have the safe feeling of retrieving to your room if anything spooks her,even when your not there

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we adopted Neely she hid under our bed for a very long time. It turned out she was harboring an URI so we took her to the vet for treatment. Although it took awhile for her to become acclimated she has become queen of the house. Best of luck with Luna, she is a black beauty.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

when i showed up beside her she made this noise ( like a blrrr, cant really explain it sorry ) as if she was happy then started to purr and came from under the bed!
Isn't it so cute when they do that? My kitty trills like that all the time

mazobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to see a beautiful black cat find a forever home. Black ones are the least likely to be adopted b/c people still have horrible superstitions about them (devils consorts, bad luck).

My husband heard about a black cat whose depressed human committed suicide. He rescued her literally 30 minutes before she was to go to the shelter. She was locked in a bathroom for weeks. After she came to us she hid under the couch for three days, but then she warmed to us and became the sweetest, SMARTEST cat we ever met. We lost her on 12/24 after a number of wonderful years and we are still devastated over the death of our darling girl. Still, we were able to give her a home where she was cherished. May you and Luna enjoy a long and fabulous life together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh, thats so sad... sorry for your loss

I dont believe in superstitions i had a black cat 8 years ago that died at age 15, one of the most LOVING cats EVER.

My new cat was moved back to my mothers room and is currently still under the bed, but when you go down to her level she trills and comes to me and loves to be pet and purrs, she likes me more than my mom and trusts me more shes alot more active and feels comfortable around me
but she is very scared of any sudden noise, like when my mom opens a door, and if i stand up and try to walk up to her she gets scared and runs away but doesnt do it when im on her level.
She is also playing with the catnip pouch i bought her !

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some Great News, and some Bad News

Good News

She has come out from under the bed and is in my room wondering around, an is constantly jumping on my lap and is pushing her paws into my stomach and purring! She wants to be around me at all times! I was even going to the kitchen and she followed me and then i showed her the living room and roamed around!

Bad News

Now 2 things, she went to the litter, that's in the storage room, to go PEE, but there was a problem, she went number 2 on my moms bed sheets. I took her to the litter box again and showed her it, is there anything else i can do to prevent her from doing that again?

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks,but i dont have a credit card to order this !

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have some Great News, and some Bad News

Good News

She has come out from under the bed and is in my room wondering around, an is constantly jumping on my lap and is pushing her paws into my stomach and purring! She wants to be around me at all times! I was even going to the kitchen and she followed me and then i showed her the living room and roamed around!

Bad News

Now 2 things, she went to the litter, that's in the storage room, to go PEE, but there was a problem, she went number 2 on my moms bed sheets. I took her to the litter box again and showed her it, is there anything else i can do to prevent her from doing that again?
some cats prefer a box for each business. Add another litter box, keep them both very clean. If she poops in the wrong place again, put the poop right into one of the litter boxes and show it to her, so she gets the idea.

Great news that she is venturing out!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely try the two boxes - try to keep them at least a few feet apart, so kitty doesn't think it's just one box. Also, re Kitten or Cat Attract, usually PetSmart carries it, or you can go to the Cat Attract web site and find local retailers (I think Pet Supplies Plus also carries it). I use it myself - and we all love it. Also, she's still pretty young - she may have gotten so interested in something that when she had the urge to go, she was just too far from the box to make it.

I'd also suggest keeping a little diary of any accidents or strange things that happen - like, always #2 on your mom's bed, or was a stranger in the house before that, or change in food, etc. That way, either you or the vet may be able to see a pattern that's hard to see if you're relying your memory. Someone suggested this to me, and it really did help when my boy had some box issues. Also, was the poo normal? If not, sometimes the only way kitty has to tell you that she's not feeling good is pooping or peeing someplace 'wrong'.

That's great about her coming out - my boy is black, and he follows me everywhere.

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never owned black cats in my life, until now! I have 2! They're both still kittens, about 6 and 7 months old, but they're getting along really well. Both boys. They were cuddling together after just having met 3 days before I took that picture.

I think with your kitty, it seems like she doesn't trust your mom. Your mom is the one whose slippers freak her out whenever she hears them. So it doesn't surprise me that Luna would poo on your mom's bed. I think your mom needs to bond with her more to let her know she's not a bad person because right now Luna just doesn't trust her. And another thing too, your mom should keep the door to her bedroom closed when she's not in here to prevent Luna from getting in there.

She's a really cute kitten, and it sounds like other than the poo thing she seems to be coming around! That's great news! One thing I've learned with my new kitties, which is totally new for me, is that some cats just don't like to be picked up and stuff. All of the cats I've had in the past have loved being picked up, petted, cuddled, etc. But with both of these new kitties, they are the type where I have to wait and let them come to me to be petted on their terms. Usually when I'm watching tv with a blanket on my lap, they will eventually end up on my lap asleep. Neither one of them likes to be picked up at all, which is weird for me because I'm not used to that with my kitties. But we're adjusting, it's just taking some time because we're all new together.

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!:

Luna is now at home! She doesnt hide anymore, she follows me EVERYWHERE, when she sees me she trills and meows as if im her cat brother, she sleeps in my bed, she NEVER bites.

The only thing now is i need her to get to know my mom, shes a bit shy to my mom and my mom loves cats, she will just need to spend some time with her.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's great news - I wonder, if you see that Luna has a particular favorite food or treat, maybe let you mom feed her that so she associates mom with nice things - but give Luna a bit of time - I suspect she'll come around, but I bet you are Luna's favorite human in all the world!

PS - is she pooping and peeing in the box ok?

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, she doesnt want to come to my mom, and runs from her, im not sure why.

But she hasnt pooped since pooing on my moms bed so we have to wait and see where she poo's next.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just now catching up on this thread. Congrats on the new kitty and all the progress you've made with her.

One thing that came to my mind was to keep her in one room and not move her back and forth from your room to your mom's room. To help her get used to your mom, have your mom wear an old shirt for a day (or more) and then put that shirt where Luna's sleeping so she can become familiar with your mom's scent. Have your mom slowly do the things that you did to win Luna over. Go slow, don't force anything and don't try to pick her up and hold her, just be patient. She'll come around!

We take my cats with us when we go visit my dad. I have to remind him to not wear his slippers in the house because our older cat doesn't like the noise the slippers make when they slap on the floor.

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.

So we got the litterbox issue resolved, she poo's and pee's in the litter.

Now the only thing now is shes really afraid of my mom, she hides from her, she only really trusts me, if my mom scares her off and i call her from under the bed she will come to me but not my mom, shes in my room 24/7. Me and my mom try, but shes just too afraid, i mean its hard to wait around for her and when shes "ready she will be ok, but i mean come on, she wont get out of my room without my mom going somewhere or if i leave, is there anything i can do so she knows my mom is apart of the family...

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anything else?