New Kitten - Need Help!

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I just recently bought a cat yesterday, shes 4 months old.
When i saw her at the shelter she was very calm, didn't mind being held and was active and not shy.

When i brought her to the house she was VERY VERY scared, she ran straight under my bed. Later in the day i put my hand under the bed she came up to my hand and wanted to be pet and purred, but she still hasnt come out from under the bed. Im wondering how long this might take for her to come out, im hoping she wont be like this forever because when i saw her at the shelter she was very social. I have her water bowl food dish and litter near her.

Thank You.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSTAR

Hello,

I just recently bought a cat yesterday, shes 4 months old.
When i saw her at the shelter she was very calm, didn't mind being held and was active and not shy.

When i brought her to the house she was VERY VERY scared, she ran straight under my bed. Later in the day i put my hand under the bed she came up to my hand and wanted to be pet and purred, but she still hasnt come out from under the bed. Im wondering how long this might take for her to come out, im hoping she wont be like this forever because when i saw her at the shelter she was very social. I have her water bowl food dish and litter near her.

Thank You.
Thank you for adopting a shelter kitty and giving her a wonderful loving home. I'm sure you two will be very happy together!

Your kitty is very scared right now, she's in a new environment with new people, and new smells. All of this is very strange to her right now and under your bed is her safe place.

In time she will adjust to your home. Every cat I've ever brought home did the exact same thing yours is doing now, run straight under the bed for the next 3 days. So its normal behavior. Some cats will take longer to adjust than others, but she will come around in time with some patience. One of my babies took two weeks or so to adjust, another was happy and content in just a couple days.

The important thing is not to frighten her. Continue offering her your hand to her under the bed and let her come to you. Maybe offer her a treat or some food to gently coax her out if she will come, but do not force her out. This will help her build trust with you. Most importantly let her come to you and do not force her out.

Its good that food/water and litter is nearby too. So she can use these when she's ready.

Let us know how it goes. This site is a great resource for help, a lot of very knowledgable people here. And we would love to see pictures of your new baby! Good luck to you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
keep her in a small room for now and feed her and offer her fresh water on a routine schedule. Give her no surprises. she should be able to set her kitty watch to the routine of food, water, play, litter change. sit in the room with her, sit on the floor and read out loud to her. when you leave, where your imprint on the floor is, leave tasty treats. don't stare at her directly if she comes out, just ignore her for now. let her make the moves. unless you think she is ill don't dive under the bed to get her. put her food and water on one side of the bed, her litterpan on the other. talk to her constantly when you are in the room, tell her about your day whatever, just talk gently as she can hear you. visit her with socks on your feet smell the most like you at the end of the day. drop a soiled sock in her room so she can adjust to your smell.

give her time, no telling how long she was cage bound- new experience for her to be in this bigger plush cage.

best of luck to the both of you-

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great advice from both. Welcome to TCS. Hurray for you for adopting from a shelter! What's your kittens name? Can't wait to hear more about her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys, the information provided is very useful.

Im on the verge of naming her, Luna, she's an all black cat.

The thing is,im not doubting what your saying, is that im just a bit skeptic i mean shes really scared, when my mother walks with her slippers she gets very nervous and scared, right not shes in the far right corner still hiding, i would of thought she would come out in the morning, i guess not, but i know for a fact at night i saw her moving around in the room, im just really hoping that she will come out and wont be scared all the time.

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some photos of her under the bed:

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSTAR

but i know for a fact at night i saw her moving around in the room
That is great you are making progress with her. I know she will come around in time.

Keep continuing to spend time in the room with her, talk with her, offer her your hand and let her smell it so she knows your scent. Let her come to you on her terms. I know all this has already been said, but it really does work. Don't give up

By the way, you have a GORGEOUS little baby! She is a real cutie

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna is a beautiful young lady. It's only been a day, which is a very short time. Don't force anything. Follow the advice offered here, and remember it will take some time for the advice to work, not only a day or two.

It's normal for her to explore at night when people aren't up and about.

Change is very hard on cats and kittens. She just needs time to adjust and adapt. Time as in maybe a few days, or maybe a few weeks, usually something in between.

Do you know if she has had any human socialization at all?

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you !

The people said they handled her daily there.

So ive been spending time with her and she has come out and come on the bed to me and purrs and loves to be pet and does that thing where she pushes her paws into me.

The only thing is when i brought her out to to show her the litter and just placed her down on the hallway she paused, and ran really quickly back under the bed, i don't understand why she's so scared of the house but can come out of the bed in the room.

She's also afraid of any noises.

Also would it be a factor that she had a sister and the fact that she got separated from her.

I understand that shes new the home and stuff, but it just so frustrating and breaks my heart to see her like that, hiding under the bed, wont come out, doesn't wonder the house.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's a beautiful little girl! And i think you're making progress, but try to remember how new and how big everything is to Luna in her new home - and she may miss her sister and not understand why everything she was used to is gone. But that's she's kneading you with her paws - making biscuits is another term I've seen used - means she's getting comfortable with you and relates you to how she felt with her mom, from what I've read. A good sign!

I agree with everything people have told you - and if you and the rest of your family have the time, just take some time to sit in the room and read quietly aloud - letting her get used to the difference voices -and let her come out at her own speed. A lot of cats are afraid of being stared at, at least in the beginning; my own came to be faster when I pretended to ignore them and read Harry Potter out loud.

Luna probably feels safer scoping out the house when she doesn't hear any other 'creatures' moving around, like at night - but try to be patient, tell her you love her and will wait for her, and I bet you'll be surprised day by day at how she starts responding.

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently bought her 2 toys today, one is a sack full of cat nip and a string at the end and the other is a plastic rod with a long fabric at the end and feathers at the tip, i tried to see if she would play with the toys, she didn't bother, ive been "ignoring" her ( as in i've left her alone, ive been checking up saying its ok, dont be afraid ). I'm hoping that letting her come out at her own pace will work and when i come home one day or wake up i will see her roaming around the house.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats react to catnip (about a third) and I don't think most kittens react.

You might try just sitting on the floor of your room, moving the toy slowly on the floor to see if it attracts her attention. Just give it time - I know it's hard because you know how much you love her, and you want her to feel loved.

But, truly, if she's come out at all to knead you with her paws and be petted, she's showing a lot of confidence in you and is being pretty darn brave for such a little girl.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SHe is gorgeous

Yeah like people have said it takes a little time for cats to adjust, in a few weeks time she will be all over the place and showing its her home

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to grab the toy from my room to go play wit her and when i showed up beside her she made this noise ( like a blrrr, cant really explain it sorry ) as if she was happy then started to purr and came from under the bed, i told my mom she came out but when she heard my mom walking with her slippers towards the room and heard her voice saying awww, she scurried under the bed.

I just checked back with her and the toy and she loves it, shes playing with it!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl makes that funny little trill in the morning when I wake up and she comes to greet me - I think it means so happy to see you mommy!

you know, you mentioned the slippers again - by any chance do they make a lot of noise when they hit the floor? Cats have very sensitive hearing and maybe she's afraid of the noise a little bit, especially if your shoes don't make a similar sound.

If your mom has time to just sit and even just talk quietly to you for a while (yes, like moms have so much free time!) - that might help Luna associate your mom's voice and scent with being a friend. Does your mom feed her at all?

But you guys are making progress! Remember when Luna wouldn't come out for anything?

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, my mom talks to her already
I told her to kinda stop dragging her feet, but i mean we do alot of things in the house that cause noise so theres no way really around it, she will just have to get used to it.

Yup i remember, it seems to be getting better just hoping she will come out of the room and roam the house!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will - one of these days when you're picking her off the top of the refrigerator or can't get her off the sofa, you'll laugh about the days under the bed. But, at four months she's still really a baby - and just thing how huge and new your room is compared to her old home at the shelter, let alone the whole rest of the house!

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha, that's true, she was actually in my moms room she came out and i haven't moved her to my room, she seems to be exploring it and wondering what all this stuff is.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is important to slowly introduce her into your home. Give her a room that is quite and calm, with her food water and litter, and where she can feel free to roam, inspect, and feel completely comfortable, closed off from the high activity in the house. This will help her to open up and have a safety zone where she can retreat. You have to realize that she is coming from a small enclosure to a large, new environment, new sounds, people, it's overwhelming for her. This is the age that is so impressionable

catstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since i've moved her to my room shes been moving around and not hiding, shes been playing wit her toy and running around!