New Kitten Meows Constantly

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a 10 week old kitten, Pumpkin Spice. We have had her about 3 days now. She seems to mostly be adjusting well. Eating drinking and using the litter box. Our 3 year old cat Jade (queen of the castle) has no interest in her one way or another. Our 1 year old Sparky initially did not like her, but after the first day and us getting her her own food bowl and collar he realised she was a permanent household member and he plays with her some. All that being said, she meows, a lot. And loudly. For no apparent reason. She is chill if we are holding her or if she is asleep, but if she is awake she will yell. Not constantly enough to be concerning but enough to be annoying. My only thought is she is missing her mom and siblings and is calling for them? If that's the case, what can I do to help her? If not, why would she be yelling all the time? Picture because she is tiny and adorable.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree the most probable is she is missing her siblings and momma. Its just to be as mommy as you can manage, and encourage your residents to play with her...
But some cats are more talkative than others.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes of course everything is new and scary for her. She misses her mama and her siblings very much. She is with cats now that don't really care for her to be near them for now, won't play much and interact,and that is confusing to her. It will take patience and time for her to adjust. But she will. Cats hate and don't understand change, and she has been through a lot. She is lonely and a baby who is scared. It will take several weeks for your other cats to interact with her, and they WILL correct her manners, so be prepared. Offer treats and more playtime right now than usual. Give her more all around attention right now and enjoy her kittenhood. It passes so quickly and she will be grown and aloof sooner than you think!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! What kind of corrective behavior should I be aware of? Jade is mama cat to sparky, I kinda hoped she would take on a mother role to Pumpkin, but I think she has decided she is done baby raising. Sparky is a staunch supporter of the "outside is a cold and lonely place and we should never go there ever" idea so he has never interacted with another cat besides Jade, and his own litter mates as a kitten.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You may see overly energetic play that gets a hiss, or something like that.

Try a ticking clock or a heartbeat toy, and some harp music for your little one :) and maybe also a sock partially filled with dry rice. You could gently heat it and let your baby snuggle with it.

By the way, when teething time comes try a wash cloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), wetted and slightly frozen as a great chew "toy".

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corrective behavior, especially from females, is often taking the kitten by the back of the neck and pinning them to the ground. Swatting, and hissing are common too. Biting or clawing that draw blood are not and should be monitored for. Kittens need this to learn how to play nicely. They will squeal loudly. The way to observe if it is discipline or being too mean is to watch the kitten. If they run and hide but come back for more play they are OK. If they run and hide but do not come out or avoid the adult completely, then it is not discipline but an intent to hurt the kitten and measures should be taken to protect the kitten.