New Kitten Looks

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New kitten from a litter that half looked like blue point siamese (born white, color points appeared, all had blue eyes) and half had solid blue coats (varying eye colors from light blueish to yellow). The mom is solid blue with light yellow eyes, esp compared to the less yellow of her kittens, and is polydactyl, which all the kittens are to varying extents too.

what I'm wondering is what is the blue coat from? Is it DSH? The blue coat is white on the tips in places, creating a beautiful effect. Also - is there/do you see siamese resemblance? Here's the kitten with our older applehead siamese for comparison as well.

8BAD17A8-7E16-4AD2-9DB9-FB640C9303C8.jpeg
65CEFCA6-C265-449C-A58B-92665626DAB8.jpeg

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You’d have to know what the father was. Then what the grandparents were to really get into color genes. You should be able to find Siamese info online, about the coat types they’ll have. Most pure breds they know the percentage chance what two parents will make.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely! I would describe your kitten as a blue domestic shorthair.

The blue color comes from a recessive gene called "dilute" that is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. This gene causes pigment granules in the hairs to clump up, which turns a black hair into a gray-blue hair. Genetically, a solid blue cat is just like a solid black one, with the addition of two copies of the dilute gene.

Light tips of the hairs are often seen on blue cats, in pedigreed cats we call it "silver tipping." The tips appear pale gray or white, but actually the tips of the hairs are transparent. It probably has something to do with how the dilute gene works, since this tipping is seen on blue cats, but not on black ones.

Your beautiful bluepoint adult has the same color genetics as your solid blue youngster, with the addition of two copies of the recessive colorpoint gene.

From your description of the kittens' litter, it sounds like the mother of the kittens is solid blue carrying one copy of colorpoint. Dad might have been bluepoint like the adult in your picture.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lovely! I would describe your kitten as a blue domestic shorthair.

The blue color comes from a recessive gene called "dilute" that is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. This gene causes pigment granules in the hairs to clump up, which turns a black hair into a gray-blue hair. Genetically, a solid blue cat is just like a solid black one, with the addition of two copies of the dilute gene.

Light tips of the hairs are often seen on blue cats, in pedigreed cats we call it "silver tipping." The tips appear pale gray or white, but actually the tips of the hairs are transparent. It probably has something to do with how the dilute gene works, since this tipping is seen on blue cats, but not on black ones.

Your beautiful bluepoint adult has the same color genetics as your solid blue youngster, with the addition of two copies of the recessive colorpoint gene.

From your description of the kittens' litter, it sounds like the mother of the kittens is solid blue carrying one copy of colorpoint. Dad might have been bluepoint like the adult in your picture.
I’m going to like this site.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You’d have to know what the father was. Then what the grandparents were to really get into color genes. You should be able to find Siamese info online, about the coat types they’ll have. Most pure breds they know the percentage chance what two parents will make.
I think I read the post wrong. So never mind me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lovely! I would describe your kitten as a blue domestic shorthair...
thank you! That blue dilute is so interesting!

my guess is the dad was blue point, but I'll never know for sure!