New Kitten, Help!

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just picked up a new kitten today. She was born on February 7, so that makes her almost 11 weeks old. She got out of the room we set up for her and is currently hiding under a chair in the living room. Epic failure keeping her contained in ONE room. I understand she is new to the environment and probably scared out of her wits. Do any of you have any advice? Please tell me how to make her more comfy and minimize the stress. I don't have much experience with kittens as you can tell...

Is it ok to let her stay under the chair and for how long? Thanks!

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any other animals? I keep mine in a pet play pen. I let them out every few hours for a while, but I am right there. I will keep them in it until probably 12 or more weeks. Until they can't get under things like the stove, refrigerator or any other dangers. Some people don't like this playpen and if you have a big dog, they can knock it down. But, I couldn't foster without it. This picture it is upside down. If used correctly, it has a velcro floor and a zip mesh roof.
IMG_0006.JPG

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello jessicac05, how long has she been hiding? If it's just for awhile, it should be ok as she came out of the room and find another place unfamiliar to her so she hides from danger and to observe.

Are you ok if you allow her to free roam in the house? If you are, then let her be but make sure you catify your house by keeping away all poison, toxic plants and flowers and medications and any breakables and cover up any small holes so she cannot go in and hide.

Set up a corner for her toys and a cat tree by a locked window. And set up her litter box in a quiet corner of the house where she can have access to the box at least from any of the three sides of the box and her food and water bowl at another area of the house away from the litter box.

Get a cat wand and entice her to come out to play. Once she comes out, keep playing with her and soon she'll feel that it's safe, she will stay out of hiding.

When I got me boy home when he was 3 weeks old, I let him free to wander the whole house. He did hide for awhile and came out slowly sniffing out the place and once all coasts is clear, he was out and about.

So give your kitty a little time to get use to the sights and sounds and never pull her out from where she is hiding. That'll only make her loose confidence in you and she'll keep hiding. Also keep noise down and have slower movements and always get down to her level so that you don't look like a big threat to her.

What's her name? Do post photos of her for us to see :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been hiding for about 2.5 hours. Her name is Lovey compliments of my daughter, Elizabeth, who is 7. I will try to post pics ASAP but where the cat is in hiding I can't get any at the moment. She is adorable and a bit small for almost 11 weeks old.

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some pics on my phone that the person I got her from sent to me. 0413171423a.jpg 0417171209.jpg
0413171423a.jpg
0417171209.jpg
0417171209a.jpg
0419171643.jpg
0419171644b.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
2.5 hours is not a big deal. I've heard of cats hiding for up to a day when they're in a new environment. You can sit near to where she's hiding, offer her treats, give her a catnip mouse (tail cut off of the mouse to avoid accidental ingestion, this is just a precaution to take with kittens), and speak to her in a soft, soothing voice. She'll come out when she's ready.

KittyCatCenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats have their own way of dealing with stress - and let's face it, changing environments is one of the greatest stresses for them. Don't worry, just give her time and space. Don't call her, don't force her out. She will come out when she's ready. And also, don't try to bond with her right away. Give it a few days, just feed her and treat her well, she'll come around and approach you first, trust me!

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's out and eating!

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were told the cat is a female but getting a good look at it I think it may be male. Will be taking it to the vet soon so they will tell me for sure.