New Kitten...HELP! Pooping outside box and odd stomach noise

chudock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new kitten, Poe, is now 8 weeks old. We got him when he was 6 weeks old from a local farm (the litter was dropped off there). He is very loveable and playful, and though he was barely weaned, he doesn't seem to be skittish or scared. If anything, he's a rebel.

When we first brought him home, he immediately began using his litter box. My husband and I were stoked because he had never been indoors before that. Recently, we noticed that he was pooping (and possibly peeing, though I'm not sure) in our spare bedroom (on the bed and floor). We closed off that space, but today I just saw that he pooped in our living room behind the couch. Every time he does it, he seems to be sneaky about it. He'll disappear for a couple minutes to do it, and then he'll reappear as if nothing happened. I've caught him in the act a few times, and each time, he has a look on his face like, "Uh-oh...she caught me." Then, I'll put him in his box and he'll immediately use the bathroom there.

I should also mention that I have a 3 year old cat, Fitz. It took a few days, but Fitz eventually welcomed Poe, and while Fitz is not always pleased by the kitten antics (tail chasing, namely), they play together and seem to get along just fine. I have never had any problems with Fitz using his litter box. However, when Fitz realized that Poe was pooping on the bed/floor, Fitz began peeing in those places, as well (I'm sure to mark his territory). I know that if Poe stops going outside the box, Fitz will have nothing to retaliate against...but how do I break Poe of this nasty habit?

Additionally, we had to take Poe to the vet to get dewormed (he had both roundworms and tapeworms). Before and after both dewormings, Poe had/has an odd popping/gurgling noise (like gas or digesting food) that comes from his stomach...and it is constant. There is not a minute in the day that I don't hear his little tummy if he is close to me. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi chudock, and welcome to the site! 

Going to the gurgling first..
  I'm unsure about this but it could be diet related.  He needs to be vet checked to make sure it isn't something that needs to be treated, but then I'd be over to our nutrition forums as there are people there who know a lot about ideal diets.

Could I ask how many cat litters you have?  Many cats won't wee where they poo, and some don't like to share, so the more the merrier 

And it's really important to clean up any 'mistakes' very carefully and well with , or it will be identified as a toilet spot and the behaviour will continue. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Additionally, we had to take Poe to the vet to get dewormed (he had both roundworms and tapeworms). Before and after both dewormings, Poe had/has an odd popping/gurgling noise (like gas or digesting food) that comes from his stomach...and it is constant. There is not a minute in the day that I don't hear his little tummy if he is close to me. Is this normal?
This is definitely not normal. Since you had Poe at the vet recently, I would call and ask the vet if he/she noticed the noise and what he/she thought of it. If not noticed, I would describe the noise and ask if Poe should be brought back in to be checked. What is his current diet?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kitten is very young yet and is probably not able to get to the box you have for him. Most kittens that small should be confined to a small room where their food, water and box are available. If you want him to have free reign in the house, you need to set out more litter boxes for him to find, this means 1 in every room, they can be small ones. You can slowly remove them as he grows and becomes accustomed to where they are.

vball is right, the stomach gurgling is not normal. What is he being fed? How often is he eating? Are his stools normal? I agree with calling your vet about it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chudock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help!

To answer your questions: I am feeding him Purina kitten food, but he only eats it when he's confined to his room (which also contains his own litter box). Any other time, he prefers to eat my other cat's adult food. I try to stop him when he does this, but it happens often. His poop is usually very soft...not liquid, but definitely not solid.

As far as him being young and not being able to make it to his litter box...I might agree with that, but he goes out of his way to poop behind/under the couch now. He pooped in two different spots behind our sectional couch within one hour...and I cleaned very thoroughly the first time. I don't understand it!! Each time, I took him to his poo, let him smell it, and then took him to his litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chudock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should say that I cleaned thoroughly both times... :) what I mean is that I cleaned thoroughly the first time so the smell should have been gone, therefore it shouldn't have been an attractive spot for him to go.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try putting a box near that spot even just a tiny one. Leave his stool in it and don't clean it out too often.

Is it possible to confine him to a separate room for awhile to retrain him to use his box?

How often are you feeding him and how much at a time? Kittens need to eat A LOT, and frequently. It sounds like he's on dry food? Have you tried giving him canned? It tends to be much more satisfying, filling and really healthier for him. This may be why he's going to your other cats dish.

Is he still having stomach gurgles?

Last edited: