New kitten can’t be found in house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xander at 5 months:
He is really getting comfortable. He’s still quite timid and jumpy, but it’s receding! His favorite spot is my son’s window. He’s finally letting my husband pet him, and plays readily with all of us. Finn continues to be unfriendly-but she doesn’t attack him violently, she just hisses and sometimes slaps his head. His reaction is funny because he doesn’t run but backs away and then just ignores her. However, her rudeness keeps him from hanging around upstairs very much. Eventually they will tolerate each other but I don’t think they’ll be cuddly friends. I’m actually pretty proud of her for not being as horrid as she COULD 😂 She’s always been one of those cats with major attitude.
Xander, on the other hand, looks to be a somewhat shy but affectionate boy. We love him already. Here he is 10% awake in his window.
IMG_1050.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Xander at 5 months:
He is really getting comfortable. He’s still quite timid and jumpy, but it’s receding! His favorite spot is my son’s window. He’s finally letting my husband pet him, and plays readily with all of us. Finn continues to be unfriendly-but she doesn’t attack him violently, she just hisses and sometimes slaps his head. His reaction is funny because he doesn’t run but backs away and then just ignores her. However, her rudeness keeps him from hanging around upstairs very much. Eventually they will tolerate each other but I don’t think they’ll be cuddly friends. I’m actually pretty proud of her for not being as horrid as she COULD 😂 She’s always been one of those cats with major attitude.
Xander, on the other hand, looks to be a somewhat shy but affectionate boy. We love him already. Here he is 10% awake in his window.View attachment 455686
Look at those cute little feet against the window,lol He's a cutie

Great progress for Finn and so happy for little Xander!!!!Yay

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After living with us for 3 months, Xander is coming into his own. He has started hanging around upstairs when we are all home, which is a big change. We bought him a cat tree and he adores it. He’s very jumpy, but he may just be a timid personality.
Finn continues to bully him a bit, but it doesn’t seem to bother him.
The only problem we’re having with him right now is that he doesn’t cover his poop. I guess his mother didn’t teach him. We call him Mr. Stinky.
He’s very affectionate and we just adore him.
IMG_8733.jpeg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After living with us for 3 months, Xander is coming into his own.
Thanks for this update! Xander's story is one of my favorites since I joined TCS. I'm glad he is turning into such a great cat.

In terms of burying poop... my cat Willy has never been great at it, either. He does it sometimes, but maybe only like 1/3 of the time. I never had any idea what compels him to do it sometimes but not other times... I do keep the box quite clean, always (part of the reason is I want to eliminate the smell right away, so I scoop pretty much immediately).

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After living with us for 3 months, Xander is coming into his own. He has started hanging around upstairs when we are all home, which is a big change. We bought him a cat tree and he adores it. He’s very jumpy, but he may just be a timid personality.
The only problem we’re having with him right now is that he doesn’t cover his poop. I guess his mother didn’t teach him. We call him Mr. Stinky.
He’s very affectionate and we just adore him.View attachment 457414
Cats instinctually burry their waste to hide it from predators. He may just be comfortable in knowing there is no threat that is going to get him. Some cats just don't..

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s very affectionate and we just adore him.View attachment 457414
Awww look at handsome Xander in his new tree!So sweet,he certainly likes his new Condo...
heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 us spot on-Xander is a pretty confident little fellow-Finn does not intimidate him at all -there's no reason for him to hide his feces in his mind!Cats do like the smell,not covering it is another way of marking what is their territory.....their are no predators in the house but their is competition,it probable he'll never cover it...thank goodness he's staking his claim IN the box!

Thank you for sharing the photo of beautiful Xander,love to see more

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides daily litter cleaning, I was also thinking of something like this. I love to upcycle old stuff-even made a bright blue planter out of an old charcoal grill. I will get a couple of old end tables from Habitat for Humanity and try this when we get back from vacation.

Attachments

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finn, 7 year F resident cat, has been very aggressive lately to Xander, 7 months old male.
It’s definitely not play-fighting. She’s not ill, checks out ok at the vet.
He doesn’t fight back, runs away briefly. He isn’t instigating anything so I don’t know what her problem is. We have separate food, litter boxes, toys, furniture etc. I decided to put her in the basement tonight so we can get some sleep.
I hate to think we’re going to have to put the separating gate up AGAIN! But we probably will. It will be the third go-round in the 4 months he’s been here. Blah.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray for Xander! Again, he's one of my favorite stories from TCS, and I'm glad you posted this update to remind me of him. I'm currently going through a health issue with my cat, Willy, and reading about positive outcomes is helping me cope.

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xander is over a year old now! He never got over being timid and gives full meaning to the phrase “scaredy cat,” but he’s also really full of personality and we adore him. Finn still doesn’t like him, but she doesn’t like anyone except me. She’s such a snot.
We are fostering 3 kittens for the last 6 days. We learned a lot from Xander and made sure to be keeping them in the office and small supervised areas.

Attachments