New kitten can’t be found in house

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Overnight, I managed to get Xander confined to the guest bedroom! 😃 This is ideal. He has a cat bed, fresh litter, lots of food and water, a new bag of toys, a box with a hole cut in it, a cat carrier, and soft music. LITERALLY the way we meant to/should’ve started in the first place. He’s mad and sticking his paws under the door, but I think it will be much easier to socialize him. He will be safer, too.
Yeah,great news .. so happy to hear Xander has a "room" to start out with,great rewind to start over!!!! He's so young,that's the best part because he can easily learn there's nothing to hide from👍❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
He is “crying” (a pathetic meow) and looking at the door a LOT since last night. We just visit him and speak quietly to him. He still hides when we come in, but it’s just been a few days. I think he’s bored and lonely but he’s still not ready to come out. There’s so many toys! I hope he stops hiding soon.
I've always got myself a pillow,a book or nothing at all to make myself comfortable lying down on the floor and just being quiet mostly- more often than not Id usually doze off & get woken by a little kitty who could not resist his curiosity.....Maybe while lying down wiggle a little string toy and just play by yourself,they can't resist joining in and a soft reassuring voice❤He's gonna be just fine👍Patience,his pace might be slow but just be patient

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get him a heart beat doll? Yes, he's a little old for it, but when people are traumatized they are given teddy bears to hold and it helps. You could also make a hot water bottle and cover it with a towel and put near his hiding spot. The warmth can be comforting no matter one's age.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It will help just spending quiet time sitting on the floor in his room. Don't make eye contact, just...be. Read, whatever. This presents you in the least threatening manner possible. Just think how enormous you look to a kitten when standing!
Wonderful suggestion or of course,lie down on the ground ...I just read an article about cats perception--- a giant slow moving alien with long tentacles and equipped with tremendous claws on each approaching and then it's eyes must be saying"I'm going to kill you"because it is aiming right for you and making strange sounds .....I thought of the fear a tiny kitten must feel when this "thing"wisks it off the ground
Anyway,I thought I might mention to our friend here to be sure to tuck those giant claws(;your fingers):lin....many times I've seen folks wiggle their fingers at kittens,it's always less threatening to stroke with the back of a cupped hand before holding or petting a scared little kitty ....just a little tip so they understand the hand is a really nice source of comfort

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its still going poorly this weekend try sleeping in there. You might end up sharing the bed.

The suggestions to sit or lie on the floor are good, but frankly its too much of a PITA for me. How long could you stand to sit on the floor for? It would make me impatient, tempt me to stick a hand under. Reading in the bed, or sleeping in the bed, might be less efficient, but its vastly easier to do and doesn't tempt one to rush.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sleeping in his room, even just napping, is the least threatening thing you can do. It, also, shows him that the room is a safe place. You may have to sleep in there for awhile before he comes out when you are awake. But more than once, I've waked up, just slowly opening my eyes, to discover a cat lying on my chest watching my face. This doesn't mean they are ready for pets, but progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xander is slowly (very slowly!) adjusting. He has REALLY bonded with our son, hanging out downstairs with him most of the time. He’s still timid with me, although he’ll occasionally let me pet him. He won’t interact at all with my husband yet. We are just giving him time and space. We brought him home May 19th, so it’s not yet a month. I do have to get him in for his next vet check (the first with us) but we have some time. I think he’ll be a great cat! I have seen my older cat is playing with him at night and showing off for him, but when I’m around, she treats him rudely ;) She’s being clingy so I’ve been giving her lots of attention.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Xander is slowly (very slowly!) adjusting. He has REALLY bonded with our son, hanging out downstairs with him most of the time. He’s still timid with me, although he’ll occasionally let me pet him. He won’t interact at all with my husband yet. We are just giving him time and space. We brought him home May 19th, so it’s not yet a month. I do have to get him in for his next vet check (the first with us) but we have some time. I think he’ll be a great cat! I have seen my older cat is playing with him at night and showing off for him, but when I’m around, she treats him rudely ;) She’s being clingy so I’ve been giving her lots of attention.
Aww she's a bit jealous of having to share you. 💕 Good job so far!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Xander is slowly (very slowly!) adjusting. He has REALLY bonded with our son, hanging out downstairs with him most of the time. He’s still timid with me, although he’ll occasionally let me pet him. He won’t interact at all with my husband yet. We are just giving him time and space. We brought him home May 19th, so it’s not yet a month. I do have to get him in for his next vet check (the first with us) but we have some time. I think he’ll be a great cat!wh I have seen my older cat is playing with him at night and showing off for him, but when I’m around, she treats him rudely ;) She’s being clingy so I’ve been giving her lots of attention.
He is gonna be a GREAT cat especially because he's surrounded by a great family... so nice to hear Xanders getting on so well with your son and you are all letting him move at his own pace,which BTW really isn't all that slow-a month is a very short time- yellow are doing a great job . Xander is very Blessed

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to thank all of you again for the great advice and encouragement since the beginning of the Xander Saga. The tips you mentioned really helped. I think by July, he’ll be pretty settled in. He’s still quite skittish, but that’s ok. He’s been sleeping UNDER THE COVERS with our son-for whom the kitty was intended!-so it’s working out great. Thank you!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to thank all of you again for the great advice and encouragement since the beginning of the Xander Saga. The tips you mentioned really helped. I think by July, he’ll be pretty settled in. He’s still quite skittish, but that’s ok. He’s been sleeping UNDER THE COVERS with our son-for whom the kitty was intended!-so it’s working out great. Thank you!
Awww,such a happy ending to the story . But hey wait,it's just beginning-so please do keep us updated with photos and "tails" of Xander and family🩷

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xander let my husband pet him for the first time today! We’ve been having husband do the feeding time in the hopes that this would quell his fear. It took a couple weeks, but this was significant tonight. He’s going to keep doing the feeding. I’m the litter box person. Xander has mostly adjusted to me, even sitting on my lap sometimes. The one who’s giving him trouble is my cat Finn. She’s always been a surly cat, and middle age & change isn’t helping. She hisses at him and even committed the cardinal sin of slapping him once while he was using the litter box. So they continue to have their separate areas, food, litter etc and we supervise interactions. Xander mostly hangs out in my son’s rooms, but ventures out a lot at night. He’s settling in slowly but surely. This is him fast asleep on my son’s chair. He’s gaining weight and growing nicely.

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was cleaning years ago and saw my kitten crawl in a tiny hole in my kitchen. Maybe to small for your kitten but worth a look. Have you checked if the kitten at the shelter is yours?
I lost a foster kitten in that same hole! We were panicked!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so nice to hear Xanders getting on so well with your son and you are all letting him move at his own pace,which BTW really isn't all that slow-a month is a very short time
I totally agree with this. Where this thread started, and where it is now, was huge progress for just a month.

Thanks for the updates, BigCoffinHunter BigCoffinHunter . It's always great to hear a positive outcome from a story like this.