New Kitten, Bed

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new kitten recently and she discovered she's able to jump onto my bed and I don't want her up there since she keeps scratching the bed sheets as she walks, there's also a fan there and since she's on the bed she can reach and play with the fan... Is there any good ways to get her off the bed she's 7 weeks old Thanks

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience, and patience and more patience. Every time she gets up, you put her down with a firm "NO!" And even then, she may have more determination than you have patience. I'm going to give you some links to some very good articles about "disciplining" cats (you actually don't) and setting boundaries (which you certainly do).

5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat (some well-meaning people will suggest this...but don't)
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
Clicker Training For Cats
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Behavior For Beginners (don't know if you are, but just in case)

That looks like a horrible lot, but all of the articles are fairly short, full of good stuff, and an easy read.

Now, what I would love to see happen is for you to learn how to clip those little claws and allow your cat to sleep with you. There is nothing quite so relaxing as having that soft, warm weight against you, purring away. I don't know if I could sleep without my cat next to me, but that's a very individual thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Patience, and patience and more patience. Every time she gets up, you put her down with a firm "NO!" And even then, she may have more determination than you have patience. I'm going to give you some links to some very good articles about "disciplining" cats (you actually don't) and setting boundaries (which you certainly do).

5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat (some well-meaning people will suggest this...but don't)
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
Clicker Training For Cats
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
Cat Behavior For Beginners (don't know if you are, but just in case)

That looks like a horrible lot, but all of the articles are fairly short, full of good stuff, and an easy read.

Now, what I would love to see happen is for you to learn how to clip those little claws and allow your cat to sleep with you. There is nothing quite so relaxing as having that soft, warm weight against you, purring away. I don't know if I could sleep without my cat next to me, but that's a very individual thing.
All I've been doing is grabbing her and putting her on the floor and saying no like you said but clearly, she doesn't like my grabbing her since she always meows (or I'm just bad at holding them comfortably). I 've read multiple articles on not spraying water at cats as it has negative affect etc. So I've just been moving her down so I guess just patience haha, Oh and I don't mind her sleeping next to me is just that my mum thought it's probably a bad habit since she'll be disturbing all night haha (not gonna lie last night was the first night she figured out how to jump up and it wasn't fun)
The worst thing is I can't move her when she's like this :c

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
All I've been doing is grabbing her and putting her on the floor and saying no like you said but clearly, she doesn't like my grabbing her since she always meows (or I'm just bad at holding them comfortably). I 've read multiple articles on not spraying water at cats as it has negative affect etc. So I've just been moving her down so I guess just patience haha, Oh and I don't mind her sleeping next to me is just that my mum thought it's probably a bad habit since she'll be disturbing all night haha (not gonna lie last night was the first night she figured out how to jump up and it wasn't fun)
The worst thing is I can't move her when she's like this :c
WHAT A SWEETHEART! What is her name? Does she have her own bed? Gypsy sleeps in her own bed on our bed at the foot on my side since Scott is so tall and his feet are closer to the end of the bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT A SWEETHEART! What is her name? Does she have her own bed? Gypsy sleeps in her own bed on our bed at the foot on my side since Scott is so tall and his feet are closer to the end of the bed.
She does have a bed which is near my bed, I named her Emi which means beautiful blessing in Japanese since I live in Australia I wanted a more non-English name that's simple to read haha. Even tho she has a bed she only sleeps on it sometimes and mostly always climbs onto my bed or under my bed...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion? Give up & move the fan. Clip her claws. Cats LOVE to be on our bed & sleeping with us. It is saturated with our scent. Short of locking her out of your bedroom, this sounds like a loosing battle. You could also try keeping your bed covered with a thick quilt so her kitten claw mishaps happen on that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And she will grow up and settle down before you know what hit you. Enjoy her while she is actually still in the phase. All to soon, she will be a grown lady with SUCH dignity (although she'll probably always dump the dignity in favor of a game).