New Home To Cute Tortoise Shell Kitten

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
This past July, the 22nd I think it was on a Sunday... I found a really small Tortoise Shell kitten. I thought she was only 5 or 6 weeks old, but our vet tech said she was 11 weeks old. I think someone had dropped her and she was living under this country store near us. I don't think anyone knew she was there. Poor baby! :-( So I took some cat food over to the store, and fed her. After I found out how small she was, I picked her up and took her to our house. She's currently living in our garage. :-)

Here's another update on the kitten I found. I have temporarily named her Gidget. She reminds me of that character that Sally Field used to play on TV YEARS AGO! LOL She's really playful, and has lots of energy. Today we took her to the vet to get her first check up. We were really lucky that she didn't have any fatal or contagious diseases. YAAAA! She did however have some parasite called Cutarebra which is a fly larve embeded in her neck. EWWW. The vet tech said that was really common with stray or feral cats and sometimes they get really large. Luckily her parasite was really small, the size of a pencil lead. That's why I didn't see it. It had made a small hole in the side of her neck. That was weird! Luckily they were able to remove it. She had a small hole in her neck where they removed the parasite, but the vet said that would heal over. :-) She also got her first FVRCP shot, along with some kind of Biohazard Fee injection, whatever that is? They also did a fecal exam called Fecal-Direct Centrifugation to see if she had any Giardia or any other parasites. That was clear too!:-) Doctor Curtis our vet examined her and said we were really lucky that the kitten was in good shape. They gave us this free kitten flea medication called Revolution that was the same as Advantage Multi. She said I could give her a bath, and then when the kitten was dry, I could apply the flea medication. Glad I can bathe her. That way I can get all that dirt and dried flea blood off of her. Doctor Curtis found a small scab at the base of her tail but luckily it wasn't anything serious. :-) Overall, Gidget looked like she was in good shape. She only weighed 3.10 pounds, and the vet tech said she was at least 11 weeks old, which is about 2 and a half months old. When she gets to be 5 or 6 months old, we're planning on getting her spayed so she can be adopted. If you know of anyone who would like to have a really cute cat just let me know. Gidget would make a really good house cat! She already knows how to use a litter box, and is really playful! You can send me a private message to let me know. I don't want to give her to anyone where we live. No one takes care of their pets very well. Most people out here just let their animals roam everywhere! That's why I would like to give her to someone who will keep her in the house, and makes sure she gets clean food and water to eat and drink. Not to mention a roof over her head, during hot weather or in the winter. Wish I could keep her but I can't afford another cat. Just taking Gidget to the vet and getting her all those check ups, was over $100! But we wanted to make sure she was healthy! We wouldn't want to give anyone a sick cat! :-( Here's a link to that parasite they found on Gidget. I had never heard of that before. That was really strange! Cuterebrinae - Wikipedia

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gidget is really cute. I like the white on her face and paws. Good luck finding her a home. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Surya and TabbyTom,

Thanks for your caring words on finding Gidget a new home. Our vet and other people said they would ask around for us. She was just so little I couldn't just leave her under that store alone. I hope she gains more weight. I've been feeding her this Fancy Feast Wet Kitten food. She only east a few ounces at a time. She has such a small tummy. I've also been supplementing her diet with some kibble that My cats eat. It's a grain-free, gluten-free food, and is small enough for Gidget to eat. I try to make sure she doesn't go hungry. ;) Due to her getting her shot and exam, she was pretty tired when we got back from the vet. Poor baby. Going to the vet was pretty traumatic! :nervous: So she's been really tired all day and this evening. Hope she perks up tomorrow. I'd like to get her cleaned up, and get that flea med on soon. Hope that flea med doesn't make her
sick. I've never heard of Revolution before, but my vet said it was good. :) Anyway, I'll keep you posted on her progress. We have to take her back Aug. 30th for another check up. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully she'll have more energy this weekend and I can get some videos of her. That would be good.

Thanks again for the sweet comments. :)

Take Care and Hugs! :heartshape::grouphug:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Rascalshadownj2 -- I just wanted to thank you so much for taking in this sweet kitty and taking her to the vet to be sure she is healthy! You are a good person.

In case you are still looking to find her a home, I had a few ideas. I know you said you couldn't keep her, but I wonder if your vet would give a multiple-cat discount. My vet offers that to people who have over a certain number of pets. A friend of mine was trying to find a home for three cats and she turned it into a job! Talked to her family, people at her church, her work, her clubs, her dentist and doctor. Her vet had a notebook with pictures of animals available for adoption and she put photos there. She also contacted local rescue groups, which maybe you have in your area. Please don't advertise "free to a good home" for Gidget because, sad to say, some people are out there who would use her for dog fighting bait. You want to be sure she ends up in a good, loving home.

Best of luck either keeping her (!!) or finding her another wonderful home!

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Avery,
That sounds nice about vets giving people multiple animal discounts. I don't know if our vet does that or not. So just with our two cats, they haven't given us any discounts, at least not yet.
:( We're still planning on having her spayed when she is 5 or 6 months old. Hopefully by then, we can find her a good home. That's true about putting ads in the newspaper. You don't know who will get your cat and how they will treat it. :(

Thinking of posting information, I found this neat site called Rehome. It's free to anyone who is looking for a home for an animal. I found it on a site called Best Friends which is an animal rescue and advocate site. Here is a link to that Rehome site. Find Your Pet A Loving Forever Home I set up an account and posted a couple of pictures of Gidget, and even wrote some information about her and what kind of home I wanted her to live in. I posted that she had to be an indoor cat and be walked on a harness and leash. I am currently training her to walk on a harness and leash. So I hope they will help me find her a good home. You can post which state she will live in so I clicked on Kentucky. You can even post videos of the animal your fostering. Also the money that the person who adopts her pays a small fee and the money goes to any animal organization of my choice. That sounded nice too. I made a video of Gidget so I'll try to upload the video to that site. That should help too. You can even post medical records on that site too, so the potential adopter will know if the cat is healthy. The more information you add the sooner she'll get adopted. Wish we could get her spayed now but she is only 2.5 months old. We have to wait a few months to get her spayed.

As for my cats, they don't seem to like her being in the house. They do a lot of hissing. Wish cats were more sociable than dogs. :( Guess I'll just have to keep her in our garage. At least that's better than being under the store. :) I'll try to post the video here so you can see her.

Thanks for your support and good wishes. I hope there is someone nice enough to give her a good home. Wish someone here on the cat site could adopt her. I know everyone here loves cats and I know she would find a good home. :)

Take Care, and Hugs!
:hugs:

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again,
Just thought I would post this video I made of Gidget playing in two of my cat tunnels. She really Loves those cat tunnels. I tried to upload this video to this site but it kept saying that my video was too large. What is the correct size to upload a video here? Anyway, here is the link to my video I posted on You Tube. Hope you like it. I had bought Gidget a cute break away collar so she is wearing this in the video.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gidget is so very cute! You're amazing for taking her in and getting her looked at. I hope you find a good home for the little baby. She reminds me of my tortie kitty when she was young.

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again. Just thought I would post an update on Gidget. So far my cats are slowly getting used to Gidget being in the house. She's been indoors for a few weeks now. She is really active and loves to play a lot! LOL She's lots of fun to watch, and enjoys chasing my cats around the house. LOL I think Shadow is getting more used to her than Rascal. But hopefully Rascal will eventually tolerate her. We just got her another series of shots.She got her second FVRCP shot and first Leukemia shot. She goes back later this month for another FVRCP shot and another Leukemia shot. She also gets a Rabies shot too. She didn't like getting those shots, and she probably won't like getting anymore shots. Poor baby. But so far she is doing OK. Hopefully this winter in December we can get her spayed and that will make her more adoptable. According to the vets she has to be 5 or 6 months old to be spayed. I saw on the Humane society site that they can spay and neuter cats much cheaper than the vets. That sounded good! :) In the meantime, she is doing well and loves to play. She is also improving on her harness and leash. I got her a kitten harness and so far she is doing well. :) It just takes some patience and practice. ;)

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thinking of posting information, I found this neat site called Rehome. It's free to anyone who is looking for a home for an animal. I found it on a site called Best Friends which is an animal rescue and advocate site. Here is a link to that Rehome site. Find Your Pet A Loving Forever Home I set up an account and posted a couple of pictures of Gidget, and even wrote some information about her and what kind of home I wanted her to live in.
I currently have a profile on that site for a stray I'm trying to home.

Azusa, CA - Domestic Shorthair. Meet Gray Kitty a Cat for Adoption.

I suggest you do everything you can to bring traffic to your kitten's profile. Use Facebook and/or whatever you can to get people looking.

Good luck to you and Gidget. You are doing a great thing for this little one.

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi kittypa,
Just saw your post. AWW. That sure is a really cute kitten you found. Glad you had him neutered. That was Very Responsible of you. Most people in rural places never spay or neuter their animals, much less strays. They just let them keep re-populating. They don't see the Big Picture where so many animals in shelters get euthanized every year. It's really sad! It really makes me mad! :mad2: But glad you had your stray neutered. :) Thanks for the tip on getting more "publicity" to Gidget. Maybe I can make a video of her and post it on YouTube. That would be good. That's a good idea about posting on Facebook too. Like your cat, I too think Gidget would make a good house cat. Maybe someone who doesn't have other pets, and can spend lots of "quality" time with her. That would be good! I wish you lots of luck finding your cat a good home. He is such a pretty cat. Too bad you have so many other pets. Otherwise you could keep him. Wish I could keep Gidget. She's such a sweet cat. :) Your kitten looks older than Gidget. How old is he? Glad he was old enough to get neutered. :) Anyway, thanks for the tips on getting more coverage on Gidget. :) I'll keep that in mind! Glad your kitten found a good rescue person in you. :) :rbheart:

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again kittypa,
Just saw your post. I wouldn't think you would have too much trouble finding a home for your kitten. At least he has been neutered, so that should be an advantage in him finding a good home. Also since he's been neutered, he would be good house cat. No spraying, or any cat fights, etc. that comes along with un-neutered males. Also since he is just a year old, hopefully anyone would like to have a young cat that age. He sure is a pretty cat! Have you taken him to the vet to check for any health problems? That would be a plus too, having a healthy cat. ;) So far Gidget has had two FVRCP shots, and one leukemia shot. We made the mistake of getting those together, and she had a bad reaction to those. She got really lethargic, and didn't get out of her bed for two or three days. I was really worried about her. :oops: The next time we get her shots, we'll just get them one at a time. We can't afford to have her being sick all the time. :( So far she is doing much better. She had a good appetite yesterday and today and she even used her litter box a few times. So that was good. I think those vet techs need to tell their customers that some of those chemicals could cause serious reactions to their animals. That would be good. But we're definitely taking precautions the next time. ;)
Again, I hope your kitten finds a kind and loving home. By the way, since your kitten is already neutered, I found this site where you can get your cat sponsored and they will try to find a home for him. It's called Stray Cat Alliance. Here's a link to the website. Stray Cat Alliance » Building a No Kill Nation One Stray at a Time I sent them an email about Gidget and they said as soon as she is spayed, they would post her on their website. Here's where you can write them and tell them about your cat. [email protected]
Just send them an email and a picture of your cat, and they can help you find a home for your cat. Hope that helps.

Thanks Again,
Nancy

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone. Just thought I would post an update on Gidget. Gidget has finally had all of her shots for this year. :hyper:Her last shot was a rabies shot. We had to space out a few of her shots due to her becoming so lethargic after getting several shots at one time. She received one shot in her hip and it caused her to be lame for several hours. So we decided to space out her shots, not get them all at once. But for now, she is all finished with her shots for this year. :) Now the last part is getting her spayed. This woman who worked at our vet, told us about this snap voucher that we could get from the Animal Shelter. She gave us the number to call to find out about it. But after calling the Animal Shelter and talking to this woman who worked there, I found out that you had to be on food stamps and show some paper work on your low income to take advantage of that voucher. I was really surprised. I thought it was for anyone who wanted to get an animal spayed or neutered. So that disqualified us. But fortunately this woman with the Humane Society said that we could get Gidget spayed for around $50 or more when she is 5 or 6 months old. So she told us to call her a week before Thanksgiving to set up a date when we can take her to get spayed. That sounded good. So far Gidget is doing well. She still likes to chase my cats, much to their chagrin. LOL I'm hoping after she gets spayed, that will calm her down a bit and she won't be so "agressive." That would be good. She is slowly gaining weight. At the vets, she weighed 5.2 pounds. That was good! She has a tendency to want to eat dry food but I try to encourage her to eat her wet food, because it has more water content than the dry. But anyway, she is doing really well being in our home. Also I've been training her to walk on a harness and leash, and she is adjusting to that really well. She doesn't seem to mind it much. That's good too. I'm hoping to find someone who will keep her indoors and also walk her on a harness and leash when they take her outside. That would be good! Not just let her run all over the neighborhood like they do out here in the country. Anyway I'll keep you posted on her spaying appointment. Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts on Gidget. I really appreciate your encouraging words. :grouphug: They really mean a lot!:hearthrob::hearthrob:

Take Care, and Hugs!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found your thread. Thank you for saving this kitten! kittypa kittypa .... you too! I spend all my time doing kitty rescues and I always so happy to see that others do it too. Beautiful kitties! If it helps any, I have managed to find homes for quite a few lost babies in the past year. I am seeing an increase in people who are aware of the need for good homes for abandoned animals. I live in an area where I don’t want to adopt them out because of terrible conditions and attitudes towards animals. It did take time and effort but after searching the internet for resources and making lots of contacts with different groups, things began to happen. The Spay/neuter and shots do help a great deal. Network as much as possible. I actually use a combination of sources now. I do the preliminary preparations with the kitties as you are doing but then I use an official rescue group to foster them and to transfer them to a shelter where they go for the actual adoption. I had to get a little creative to start finding homes but in time it worked! Don’t give up. Someone is going to love both the kittens I read about here. I think everyone who saves a kitty is doing something huge! You saved a life! Thank you! My heart and hopes are with you.

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Sorry I haven't been here for awhile. Real Life and everything. Here is another update on Gidget. Guess by all the posts I've made about getting Gidget her shots and all you probably guessed that we finally decided to keep her. :)She is such a cutie, and has a such a great personality. Not to mention, she gives Rascal and Shadow lots of exercise. LOL So far she has increased in weight. She now weighs ten pounds. Awesome. That's more than what she weighed when I found her. She just weighed three pounds. It just shows what a little TLC can do for an animal. ;) She really loves being in our house. She plays with lots of toys, and really loves exploring our house. As my mom would say, She's everywhere! :lol: I made a few Gidget memes and posted them on Facebook. I'll post them here too. Just thought I would give you another update. :hyper:

Attachments