New here

thinkpurple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for not searching before asking!

I took in a very pregnant stray last night who gave birth to five kittens. I was wondering if anyone could pass along some links on raw diets and homemade raw food. When I had my ferrets (RIP) they ate Stella & Chewy along with homemade duck soup and some kibble in their bowls at all times.
I don't think it will be a problem getting her to eat as she is STARVING! Even after eating the placentas she ate a whole can of food and another today.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a multitude of links here (very top of page) covering everything from transitioning a cat to cooked food. I like this site a lot (in addition of course to TCS) because it was easy for me to understand when I was first considering transitioning Ritz (adult cat at the time).
And a thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thinkpurple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Unfortunately, I am on my cell and it doesn't show the pinned posts :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank you for taking that poor little mama in, where would she be without you! Bless you!

Last edited:

thinkpurple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob she knew what she was doing lol. Came up to me all big and looking ready to pop! No way I could leave her outside to give birth. Most of the kids around here are unsupervised and jerks (I called the cops on a few once for throwing around an injured bird! I wanted to throttle the little demons!)
She and babies are safe and warm, and she is a total sweetheart.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you can, give her some egg yolks... very nutritious stuff. And see if she would like liver (any kind, cut into pieces). The most nutritious organ.

(Those just as a vitamin booster, mind you, too much of both will cause diarrhea)

thinkpurple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try the egg yolks! Thank you. Chicken liver is fairly easy to get so I may try some of that too :)

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and while you're shopping (and unable to see the links Ritz sent you), you could get a whole chicken and cut it with kitchen scissors in manageable pieces. Just freeze those you don't need for later. This is a great way for the new mum to get some calcium (from the bones - I love the crunching sound!) and fat for much needed energy.

Then, as she just walked into your life 
, I'd check her for fleas and other unwelcome things (as she's nursing, I wouldn't put anything on her, just use a comb).