new here - pregnant cat

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are correct...I shouldn't have used your name...I apologize. Perhaps NZ has a better grasp on the overpopulation issue...but here in the states...too many cats/kittens end up being PTS and early age spay/neuter has done wonders to bring those numbers down. Again, my comments were for the individuals who have non-purebred cats, kittens or a pregnant cat. I completely appreciate that responsible breeeders take very good care of their cats and that purebreds do require a greater period for maturity.

Thanks for understanding Sam. There are many differences between the USA and other countries and I have to remember that not everyone on these boards is from the USA.

Katie

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sam Wellington, I agree with you. I actually thought Cindy and Lucy were eight or nine months old when they were spayed, but they were actually only seven months. My vet will only spay females at six months or older because it is important for the cat's trachea to be developed before proceeding with this major surgery. Maybe it has to do with lawsuits or something, too, but it is a precaution that my vet takes. Males, on the other hand, can be neutered at four months or older, but surgical neutering is a much easier and faster procedure.

Our neighbor's female kitten died from a routine spay/declaw surgery that was performed at an early age.

Punky has yet to be spayed and she is about 14 months old now. She is a petite cat that had a hacking cough and respiratory infection and I wanted her to be fully recovered, healthy, strong, and developed before spaying surgery.

Manxmom, where are the pics of your cats/kittens?? I'd love to see those six adorable little kittens, the momcat and dad. Please post a link to the pics!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our neighbor's female kitten died from a routine spay/declaw surgery that was performed at an early age.
Perhaps that had more to do with the surgeon than the surgery itself.

Just some more information:

Pediatric or Early Spay Neuter

Pediatric or Early Spay Neuter refers to spaying or neutering pets at a much earlier age than the old six month standard. With today's anesthetics, advanced monitoring equipment, and surgical techniques, not only are these procedures safe in young puppies and kittens, the risk of complications is lower and the recovery period shorter. Concerns about adverse affects have been proven unfounded. The American Veterinary Medical Association, Association of Spay/Neuter Veterinarians, and the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia, are among those that support early spay/neuter.

http://www.tracylanddvm.com/html/why.html

Here is another good post:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NMHP/message/842

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Caterpillar - I posted some pictures under a new thread. I hope to post some more tomorrow. Thanks for asking!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks also to you for understanding. I can totally see where you are coming from. I applaud you for all the work you have done.

Caterpiller, that's sad to hear about the kitten. Thanks.