new here - pregnant cat

manxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! My manx kitty is pregnant, and I'm not sure exactly when she's due. She is huge, we have her box all ready and she seems to like it. She's been beating up the dad for the last two days. She wants attention from me, but not to be held. Does this sound like she may be getting ready to have them? It's been a long time since a cat of mine has had kittens. Any insight would be helpful.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Manxmom!

Was this a planned pregnancy? If she's a purebred manx, you would have written down the dates, it's roughly 62-66 days(the gestation period)
. Does she have milk? Gently squeeze her nipples and see of anything comes out and does she have milk bags? all these are good signs she's going to be giving birth soon. Please keep her away from other cats, the dad(Oooh I just read you have the dad, is he a manx as well? I just adore manx babies
) will need to be kept seperate as males have been known to kill young kittens. Please keep us posted and any other questions feel free to ask them Good luck and welcome once again, feel free to introduce yourself to us

Best wishes,
Sam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to let you know that I am not a breeder, and these kitties are an accident. But the babies are wanted. (and my fault for not getting them neutered/spayed before now.) Lily (the mom-to-be) does not want to be touched, except to have her head and neck stroked and otherwise seems very happy. As I don't want to upset her too much I've not handled her much at all in the last week - but she does like to be around us. I hope that makes sense...she wants us near, but not touching her. I may try to check her nipples tonight, if she'll let me.

She is a beautiful white and black manx and the daddy is a black short-hair (not a manx). Once I learn how to post pictures I would love to show them off!

Lily has her own special covered bed that she has taken to, but she has also taken to getting up on the dining room table to sleep.

I have not had a pregnant cat in many many years. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I hope you get her and the "father" fixed straight after this, don't want any more accidental matings.

If you have questions,feel free to ask.

I can't wait to see pictures of them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
manxmom...I appreciate your honesty and am glad that you plan to get your cat fixed once the kittens are born. You may also want to ask around if there is a vet who does early age spay/neuter (around 8 weeks) so that you could have the kittens fixed before they go to their new homes...kittens tend to fair well having the surgery at that age and that is one less thing for you and the adoptor to have to worry about. Hope all goes well with the birth...you are in the right forum for any questions you may have.

Katie

nasanaut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by TNR1
You may also want to ask around if there is a vet who does early age spay/neuter (around 8 weeks) so that you could have the kittens fixed before they go to their new homes
In my opinion there is no need to get them speutered this early, purebreds tend to take the surgery a little more difficult and are less hardy then mixed breed cats. The cats shouldn't be going anywhere until they are 16 weeks old, this allows them to be stronger both emotionally and physically before going to their new homes. Twelve weeks is a much better age to speuter at if you want to do early s/n.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NASAnaut...thanks that is good information to have as the rescue I volunteer with does occationally get pregnant manxes or other purebreds (rare..but it happens). I will let them know that these kittens shouldn't be spayed/neutered to a latter date.

Katie

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I recall from my ONE experience tending to a pregnant stray, when she started nesting (pawing at papers, clothes, etc to make a nest) that showed the time was very near. Another sign is if you see the babies moving around in her tummy..

Sweetie (preg stray) became very very affectionate but didn't want to be picked up (DIDN'T BLAME HER AT ALL FOR THAT! Grin).

If she has selected a place and started moving around in circles and pawing at the ground/papers/blankets, that's a definite sign that her time is very near..

I hope this helps!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice! She had her babies (6!!) on February 25. They are gorgeous. I have a pictures thread posted also. I wanted to let you know also that she is not purebred, just a pet!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
manxmom..thanks for the update...that is great that she had her babies. I do hope you check into getting the kittens fixed prior to adopting them out.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam...that is contrary to what I have read regarding pediatric spay/neuter:

ADVANTAGES TO PEDIATRIC NEUTERING

One of the main reasons why many veterinarians do not perform pediatric spay neuter is that they are most comfortable performing surgery on animals that are 6 months of age and they believe there are no compelling reasons to change the current protocols in their private practices. However, there are actually many advantages to pediatric neutering.

Veterinarians who are familiar with the surgery insist that it is much less physiologically stressful on younger patients.
Animals should be fasted for only an hour or two rather than overnight to prevent hypoglycemia, so owners who forget to fast them overnight can still have the surgery performed the same day.
Animals are awake and ambulatory usually within an hour of completion of the surgery, so they can be fed a small meal and then sent home the same day.
The surgery is much faster, so it is less stressful on both the patient and the surgeon.
The surgery is much cheaper because of the use of fewer materials, and because less staff time is needed for surgery and postoperative monitoring.
If the procedure is performed when the last vaccination is given at 3 to 4 months of age, the veterinarian does not have to worry about the client forgetting to return, or shopping around and going elsewhere for the surgery. It can be included as part of a puppy care package of vaccinations, deworming and neutering. The delay in neutering pets is often responsible for the production of accidental litters that end up at shelters.

6 monthes is fine if you can ensure that the cat/kitten will NEVER get out...even accidentally (notice that this was an "accidental" birth). Otherwise...pediatric spay/neuter has far greater advantages...our rescue performs spays/neuters as early as 8 weeks of age...we have done it for way over a year and have had no negative reports from our adoptors. Of greater importance to us is that we also have had no reports of any of our spayed/neutered cats causing accidental litters. Again...if a cat can get pregnant at 4 months of age...waiting until it is 6 months is playing russian roulette as far as I am concerned.

Katie

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this article that conducted a study of kittens neutered/spayed at 3 different ages:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

One thing that I agree with:

New pet owners indicate that acquiring an already neutered animal relieves them of the worry and expense of scheduling the surgery at a later date, enabling them to relax and enjoy their new companion. As is the case for shelter managers, breeders can relax in the knowledge that the kitten they place today is not going to contribute to the surplus pet population tomorrow.

Katie

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biggest problem with this that with many purebred cats, they need to be intact for as long as possible in order to develope properly, for instance, where a Munchkin might be able to be fixed at 5 months, a Maine Coon fixed at 5 months (especially a Male) would seriously hurt the deveopment of the breed. That's why alot of breeders will sell the kittens with the stipulation that they must be fixed by a certain age, a contractual agreement.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Imagyne...but this cat is not a purebred...it is a mix and the poster even said she isn't a breeder. I want to make a clear distinction between purebred breeding and accidental pregnancy. Manxmom had already stated that her manx was in fact a mix and I want for individuals in the same situation who do not have "purebreds" and do not have "contract experience" to be aware that it is perfectly acceptable and even encouraged to fix mixed breeds or tabbies when they are 8 weeks of age. I realize this is a board for breeders...but people who are not breeders also read these posts and I think it is important to emphasize that the recommendation to "wait" is geared to purebreds.

Katie

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie, I did say I THINK, It was my opinion. I don't agree with spaying at an early age, I'm not going to read the links, because my mind is fixed and I wouldn't put one of my cats under five months in surgery like that, it's a personal preference.Any cat of mine , purebred or not, is going to be desexed over five months of age.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam..the truth is...my answer was geared to the people who browse these forums and may not post. I understand your mind is made up...but we do have many, many individuals who are in different situations..and 5 months is frankly too late for a cat that could potentially go outside. Cats can get pregnant earlier than 5 months and I would prefer that individuals who do not have a "purebred" to consider spaying/neutering earlier (to keep from having unexpected litters). I have seen many many kittens at 8 weeks of age who are fine after surgery...many of them are now over a year.

Katie

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did say, "Sam ...that is contrary to what I have read regarding pediatric spay/neuter"

So, seeing as you used my name I assumed your comments were directed at me. NZ doesn't believe in early spaying & neutering (most SPCA's I know dis courage it).