New Fur Baby, But She's Being A Bit Of A Brat. Please Help!!

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello whoever may be listening out there! Lol, I don't really ever post to Forums but I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyways, the other day me and my family took in a very adorable, about 12 week old kitten (According to the Vet), her name is Luna. She is people friendly, she'll let you pick her up and pet her and kiss her. But the problem I'm having is that she keeps hissing and growling at me and my family members whenever we've held her for too long, stopped her from doing something, or she has just seen my older cat, Noodles (Age 5). I don't want to encourage this behavior and I try to tell her no when she does it, but she continues to do it. I know shes probably just not used to the environment and that's just her way of going about things until she is adjusted. One of the main problems is that she is very aggressive towards my older cat, Noodles. This worries me because as much as I'm happy to have Luna with me, Noodles is my baby. And I don't want her to be scared and afraid to come out from whatever hiding place shes in because of Luna. Please help if you can. I really want to see things work out. Thank you very much in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you separate the two cats at first and go through an introduction process?
When we first brought the kitten home we left her in the carrying crate and brought my older cat down to see her. My older cat slowly approached the crate and then the little hisses at her and she ran away and hid. We tried again the next day with the kitten out of the crate but the kitten then got into that sideways position with her hairs sticking up and hissed at her again. My brother had the kitten out today to give her an opportunity to roam the house, but she did attack my older cat a couple of times.

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you separate the two cats at first and go through an introduction process?
Is there anything I can do at this point to help the situation?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A 12 week old kitten hissing or growling when it is being held when it wants to get down is pretty normal. The best way to establish a good relationship and have a calm and friendly cat is to respect their boundaries and what they are telling you. So if the kitten is acting like it wants to get down, just let it go and don’t pick it up when it would rather be playing. Instead cuddle the kitten when it is sleepy or when it comes to you.

And she had only been with you a short while and even young kittens can get nervous and skittish in a strange place. She may be hissing or growling at you or your cat because she is still fearful of both.

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A 12 week old kitten hissing or growling when it is being held when it wants to get down is pretty normal. The best way to establish a good relationship and have a calm and friendly cat is to respect their boundaries and what they are telling you. So if the kitten is acting like it wants to get down, just let it go and don’t pick it up when it would rather be playing. Instead cuddle the kitten when it is sleepy or when it comes to you.

And she had only been with you a short while and even young kittens can get nervous and skittish in a strange place. She may be hissing or growling at you or your cat because she is still fearful of both.
So for the last day or so I've trying to get them to get used to each other's scents by rubbing a clean sock on each of them and putting by each of their food. As of right now, I believe they are used to each others scent, but I'm having trouble keeping the kitten contained in my room. Every time I try to leave my room she wants to come with me and if I leave for a certain amount of time she begins to cry. I can't afford to buy a baby gate right now. What can I do to keep them separated without keeping the kitten couped up in my room all day and letting my resident cat have her regular freedom?