New foster to 4 newborn kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find so many mixed things online. Some things say 4 weeks, but I based it off the kitten lady. I'm in no rush. I enjoy bottle feeding the last one so im savoring the moments!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, Kitten Lady urges surprisingly early weaning of bottle babies, but she is a pro who does rescue work full-time and she has weaned literally hundreds of bottle kittens through the years. I think with a single litter at home a regular person need not rush the process, but I do love Kitten Lady and she is spot on in her videos! 😊

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had kittens wean at four weeks, but that's pretty early and it was only because of necessity. Give them the opportunity to try some sloppy food, but let them take it at their own pace.

Even had a male that continued to nurse until he was almost a year old. We had to separate him from mom, or she would never have dried up!

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I keep waking them up to feed at night? Or should they be sleeping through the night by now? They have been reluctant to bottle feed, and I feel bad wasting formula since they aren't eating it. It's so hit or miss. Sometimes they'll nurse a lot and I'll need to make more, but when I try to anticipate for it, they hardly eat at all. It's like they know.

The orange one also keeps messing around in the litter box. I got one with higher sides coming in tomorrow so hopefully that fixes the problem. They keep playing in it though. I have it in a separate area from where they sleep so idk what else to do. Are they old enough for a cover for it? They definitely have no issues using it.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone like give me advice on how much and when to feed the kittens? They're going to be 7 weeks on Thursday and I've still been feeding them every like 5 hours but should I be? I feed them the mother and baby cat by royal canin and between the 4 of them, the dont even finish a can and a hand full of the dry food that is softened with water. I feel like they should be eating more so maybe I'm feeding them too often? How do I transition them to just dry food and when am I supposed to? One of them won't touch the wet food unless it has been dry mixed in, and I have a bowl of water and dry food out and occasionally they'll nibble it but mostly drink the water

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The free-feed kibble is good but canned food is better for both water content and fewer fillers. Are they totally weaned or are they still nursing? How are their energy levels? Weights?

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are fully weaned already. I tried to give them a bottle and for days straight they kept fighting it and wouldn't nurse so I gave up trying to force them. Their energy levels are high. Lots of playing. I havent weighed them recently, I will later today. When I took them to the vet a few weeks ago they were barely a pound, but they are definitely a lot denser and heavier now. Should I transition them to a different canned food maybe? The one I give them is a mousse so it's like the same consistency throughout. It says thay it's good for them up to 4 months

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens this age and up through at least 6-9 months old are usually hounds for food, as they grow so quickly. I’ve always fed mine 4-6 times a day, moving to wet food twice a day when they are around a year old.

You may want to try Fancy Feast classic pate and flaked flavors (no grilled or chunks yet). It may be that they are tired of the mousse or just don’t like it as much. Mine always love the chicken pates and there’s a flaked chicken and tuna one they never tire of.

Continue to provide the dry food and water 24/7. It sounds like they are doing well though!

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When can I change their litter? The one I use rn is the Smart cat one and it's all natural and made of grass but it doesn't really absorb any smells. I'm afraid of the scented litter making them too curious and they eat it. I saw something where it's like a baking powder Deodorizer, but I honestly don't necessarily want something heavily scented as I don't like strong smells either, just something to make the smell milder.

It is also a clumping litter, I tried a non clumping one and I could not. Idk how the kitty lady does it lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can switch to clumping when you think they are past the point of trying to eat it. You’ll need to use your own best judgment.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The litter im using is already a clumping one. They don't eat it. But I would rather add something to make it smell less than completely change it. I like that it is all natural and stuff.

Would they act weird if it got changed cold turkey? I'm not keeping 2 of them and I don't know if they'll buy the same thing as me if I suggest it because they're a bit frugal. Same thing with the food

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you’ll just need to experiment and see how your kittens react. You can try something different by doing a half and half mixture and moving towards a full change over a few days.

It is important to tell future adopters what litter and food you’ve been using in case they do want to keep things the same. Do your adopters plan to spay and neuter?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add baking soda to whichever litter. I like one made from wood and also the one from grass seed blended with Arm & Hammer unscented clumping. Are you adding probiotics to their food? Probiotics might help. Also, avoid any fish products if you can.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all getting fixed, luckily the ones adopting the other 2 are my sisters so they will still be in the family.

The litter I use right now is apparently made of grass, you mix with the arm and hammer litter as well? I saw that they have like a baking soda thing you can add to the litter but some of the reviews say that the smell of it gross. I also don't feed them fish, although I noticed that an ingredient in their wet food right now is fish even though it's chicken? I haven't given them a probiotic, is it like drops? Their poops are solid right now, I just think it's cuz the litter doesn't really clump on it so if it isn't buried, it smells (and honestly they suck at digging and burying lol)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I blend the 2 litters. And unfortunately, fish is a common ingredient that is used because it has a strong scent to attract appetites and a concentrated protein content that cheaply increases the protein percentage. I use Benebac plus probiotics but one of my vets simply uses store brand lactobacillus - your vet should be able to give you a good recommendation for local kitties.
I am happy that your kitties will be staying in the family!

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a wild 8 werks this has been for me. Thank you to everyone! Kittens are thriving and healthy and spunky and so much fun. Here are a few pics of them now, so crazy they were little wormies not too long ago

Attachments