New foster to 4 newborn kittens

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I recently started fostering a litter of kittens and I honestly don't know much, so I have lots of questions, and any advice is appreciated!

Backstory of how their life began:
My sister has a stray cat she feeds that "lives" in her garage. The cat basically grew up in there which is why I assume it hasn't left, it was a kitten last winter with its mother, and now it's mother doesn't come around anymore. I don't even think she's a year old yet.Well of course, she got pregnant. We found a single kitten in the middle of the garage on the 15th, so we are assuming he gave birth that day. She was not attending the single kitten at all and was just sitting under the car. We made a little safe spot for the kitten and searched for more, there were 3 underneath some furniture so we put them all together and waited. She is a friendly cat to us, so it is really strange for her to stay under the car, but we weighed the babies and left them alone, putting a camera to check every now and then. Giving the benefit of the doubt that she's just tired and overwhelmed from the birth, we waited, but she not once attended the kittens. They would cry and she would just hide. She didn't seem interested in them at all, but she was also not acting normal so I assume she's in some sort of pain. My brother in law made the call and decided to bring them in after just over 36ish hours (they weren't crying the first day which is why we thought she was tending to them, but when they started crying she would avoid them) it is also very warm in the garage so maybe the warmth kept them content for that long? So that 2nd night we fed them with this bottle kit that honestly didn't work well and ended up using a syringe. The slept fine, and kept waking up to eat more. I ordered the miracle nipples to be next day delivered. The 3rd day, I gave up on the weird nippled on the bottles and just use syringes until the nipple came and it is amazing. The kitties love it. So the past 24 hours or so since I've had it, they have been eating great and all except one has gained weight already.

Some of my questions/concerns are:

I can't get them to poop. I called a vet about it and they said since they have probably barely started eating good meals, there isn't poop yet. Which makes sense to me, but I'm such a worry wart that I'm like okai so when is it a problem? They aren't fussy, they pee everytime I stimulate, they eat good, aren't bloated from what I can tell, so it's just the fact that they haven't done it is worrying me.
Side note to the poop thing, I thought we were using the KMR brand formula at first, but I realized it is a different brand that is thicker when mixed compared to the kmr brand, could that be plugging them up? I'm using the KMR brand now, so hopefully the extra fluid will get things going.

The kittens don't seem to wake up and cry to indicate they're hungry, is that normal? I assumed it would be like a baby, so I waited, but they stay asleep until I place my hand inside and they can smell me, then they fuss. They also don't seem too interested in eating every 2 hours, like I can maybe get 1.5ml in them before they fall asleep in my hand. But sometimes they eat 3-4ml, so it kinda evens out.

When can I transition to bottle? The syringes seem to keep getting stuck with the nipple on, so I feel like the bottle would be easier, but at the same time, I feel like I should constantly monitor how much they eat, or should I not worry too much because they are gaining fine?

I can't think of much else right now, but any tips or tricks are very much appreciated.

Funny random thing about this for me, I am not really a cat person. I am actually scared of them because my bestfriend had this mean cat that would bite me for no reason when I was little. So adult cats scare me, but honestly, who doesn't love kitties? I grew up a dog person, but cats are starting to grow on me, so I hope to be able to successfully raise these cuties.

ps.s. we are trying to figure out how to take mom to the vet, I am not comfortable grabbing her, as I am afraid, but I have reached out to an organization and we are waiting a response. Her butt is still soaking wet, so im assuming maybe she is in pain there or something.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the vet that the lack of poop isn't that alarming, at least not yet. It sounds like you are doing well for them. I like to use the videos from Maddie's Forum in addition to the Kitten Lady videos (as a rescuer in a rural, dog centric area, I don't have the resources available to KL).
I use heated rice-or-cornmeal socks to help keep babies warm and to help keep the bottles warm. I am glad to know that you are also trying to get mama kitty some help - her behavior & wet behind might mean she's in distress. Please keep us updated! Prayers & vibes for you all :vibes: :vibes: :grouphug:
Orphaned Kittens Saving the Tiniest Lives

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which brand of kitten milk replacer are you using? PetAg or Royal Canin are good. Formula should not clog up. It is mixed 1 tablespoon of powder to 2 tablespoons of water.

Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to the milk in each feeding. This helps with constipation. I agree with the vet that it may take 2-3 days before the kittens poop.

Here is a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

I agree the mother cat needs immediate medical attention and a spay. Is your sister able to get the cat in a carrier?

Thank you for fostering! P P-chan96

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was originally using the PetAg Milk Replacer Plus (its a pink container) but am trying the PetAg KMR now (the blue one) I thought they were different brands, but I guess they are the same haha. The formula isn't clumping, it's the syringes and the nipple combination that is like getting this weird suction that makes it hard to draw and dispense the formula sometimes. Maybe I need to premix the formula again, I was wasting a lot when I did so I've been just mixing as I go, but that's where the problems have started.

I'll start with the olive oil tonight to hopefully kick start things.

Unfortunately, the whole reason I'm personally fostering the kittens is because my sister and her husband are on vacation (they planned it a year out, just weird timing for the cat, but hey, who plans these things lol, which is why I'm hoping the organization replies back asap. Basically single mom here with 4 kittens and 1 nursing toddler! (My husband works graveyard so he's either sleeping or gone off to work so I'm alone most of the time) It's been an interesting few days, but feeding the kittens have gotten easier and quicker.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the vet that the lack of poop isn't that alarming, at least not yet. It sounds like you are doing well for them. I like to use the videos from Maddie's Forum in addition to the Kitten Lady videos (as a rescuer in a rural, dog centric area, I don't have the resources available to KL).
I use heated rice-or-cornmeal socks to help keep babies warm and to help keep the bottles warm. I am glad to know that you are also trying to get mama kitty some help - her behavior & wet behind might mean she's in distress. Please keep us updated! Prayers & vibes for you all :vibes: :vibes: :grouphug:
Orphaned Kittens Saving the Tiniest Lives
I recently made them a couple of rice socks! I've been using just a heater in the room, but it makes the room a little uncomfortable for me to sit in when I am feeding them, but they love the sock and small heating pad. Instead of piling on top of eachother, they were in a perfect row and it was the cutest thing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - you’ve got your hands full!

You can even take the nipple off the syringe and just let the kittens suckle from the tip of the syringe if that helps.

Are you feeding the mother cat?

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow - you’ve got your hands full!

You can even take the nipple off the syringe and just let the kittens suckle from the tip of the syringe if that helps.

Are you feeding the mother cat?
The mom has constant access to food and water.
She always has which is why she comes back and semi lives in the garage.

I tried a bottle today, and they love it, I think the syringe was not giving them enough and they were getting frustrated with it.
When you say 2-3 drops per bottle, are they each supposed to have their own bottle? I only have one so I make a larger batch, about a tbsp in it, will that be enough oil to make results? Or is it 2-3 drops per tsp? I read that they can eat a tsp a sitting.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone is officially gaining weight!!

Although, is it concerning if they are gaining weight too fast? Maybe it's my scale, but 2 of them at up 10 g and one is up 8 g as of last night. I did add olive oil in a couple feedings, could that cause the high increase? Even before the oil though, one of the black ones was gained 9g overnight the other day too. I don't want to limit their feeding, they don't ever eat more than a tsp at a time either (each meal varies) Should I feed less frequently now? I've been doing every 2 hours or so.

All of them are officially over 100g now. The calico was the one not gaining, but as of this morning she went from 94g to 102g.

Hoping for a poop today, since they are gaining weight now, I saw something about running water and tapping their butt, but how long should I do that for before giving up and letting them rest? I hate stressing them out, im afraid it isn't good for them and can make them sick. I have liquid glycerin at my disposal, it is the fleet children's ones (my babies are the worst at constipation at one point in their life) would I be able to put some on a qtip and gently put some to help the kitties? They are so squirmy though so im not sure if im able to even do that. I'm just afraid of hurting them.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are a very pretty batch of kittens! Weight gains are good. I would give more time for oil to work. You can gently massage their sides and lower abdomens. Are they burping okay after feeding? I have had tinies go 4 days with no pooping & vet examined them and said to not be concerned since there was no impaction and no distress.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So keep doing the oil? I stopped after a few feedings, I wanted to get some better oil than the opened olive oil we have just in case.

But I'll be honest, I pat the little babies, but I dont know exactly how to burp them! Lol. And I don't know what I'm listening for. Usually after they eat, they are purring like crazy so I can't hear much.

What would be signs of impaction and distress? I emailed a few offices to see if they can squeeze me in this week to get a general look over. I'm not entirely worried yet, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried at all about it.
They are a very pretty batch of kittens! Weight gains are good. I would give more time for oil to work. You can gently massage their sides and lower abdomens. Are they burping okay after feeding? I have had tinies go 4 days with no pooping & vet examined them and said to not be concerned since there was no impaction and no distress.
So keep doing the oil? I stopped after a few feedings, I wanted to get some better oil than the opened olive oil we have just in case.

But I'll be honest, I pat the little babies, but I dont know exactly how to burp them! Lol. And I don't know what I'm listening for. Usually after they eat, they are purring like crazy so I can't hear much. They enjoy the patting I do after they eat. They usually fall asleep which makes me feel bad putting them back in the box cuz I know they like being held.

What would be signs of impaction and distress? I emailed a few offices to see if they can squeeze me in this week to get a general look over. I'm not entirely worried yet, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried at all about it.

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! I got mama to be scheduled to be fixed on Wednesday, and the kittens will be checked over tomorrow. Such a relief for me, but another challenge as I need to trap the mama now, but it shouldn't be hard. The instructions say to keep her food away, but if she's sick, won't that make her worse? I think im able to just lift her or push her into the trap. I unfortunately can't bring her in a different carrier or anything so it has to be a trap.
The lady I talked to told me I kidnapped the babies and I was like -_- honestly I've tried giving them back. If I didn't "know" the cat, I would have left them. But I obviously watched the behavior and was like this isn't right. Regardless, the kittens are doing well and that is what matters.

Would I be able to reintroduce them to the mom after she gets taken care of? Or would there be a chance she can get them sick and stuff? Should I just not bother and let the mom just live her life? I don't want the little kitties to be running around the garage and I don't want them to be feral either so I assume I shouldn't? Idk it is all conflicting

But another win today, calico pooped! So I'm expecting the others to later today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should continue using the oil. You can add a few drops to the batch of formula that you mix. There will then be oil in each serving.

I would not return the kittens to the mother, but I do hope you are able to get her to the vet for her appointment. I would not withhold food.

It is excellent that the kittens are gaining well. Some kittens can gain 20-30 grams in a day. 6-10 grams each per day is the minimum. Keep up the excellent job!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news about vet appointment! I agree completely with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ! Kittens with tummy issues are the same as human babies: fussy, restless, hard tummies (,I very lightly squeeze their sides like a tube of toothpaste), mewing....I burp them the same way as people babies- bouncing on my chest, patting the back, stroke the back using upward motion. Baby kittens crawl up their moms to self-burp.
I eagerly await your next update!
And praises for the little calico! :poop:

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found a mystery poop in their bedding :think: so someone else pooped too. It was a hard little clump thing, but definitely looked like poop. It seemed dried out, and my younger sister has been feeding them today so im not sure how long it was there.

But 2 of them lost their umbilical cord stump! I can't believe they are creeping up to a week old. They love being held and I can't wait to smother them with love when they are bigger :redheartpump:

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet went very good for the kittens! All healthy and growing well.

Caught mom in the trap, just picked her up and placed her in surprisingly. She was complaining for a few min but now she's quiet inside. Tomorrow she will get fixed and looked over by the vet and hopefully be well as well.

Mystery pooper struck twice today. Maybe they all pooped finally. I'm not sure. The poops are hard clumps so maybe they were kinda stuck up there but they pushed it out themselves? Idk.

Babies love the layout I made with a yard of fleece I had. One side is super plush and padded and they are able to burrow, the other side has the heating pad. It's so cute watching them get cozy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad the kittens are well and mom is to be fixed tomorrow. I hope that goes well, and please try to keep her inside in a cage for a couple of days for observation, healing, and feeding before releasing her. Vet should give her a pain med to go home on. It takes spayed mom cats 2-3 days to recover from surgery. Please keep us posted!

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad the kittens are well and mom is to be fixed tomorrow. I hope that goes well, and please try to keep her inside in a cage for a couple of days for observation, healing, and feeding before releasing her. Vet should give her a pain med to go home on. It takes spayed mom cats 2-3 days to recover from surgery. Please keep us posted!
I feel like she might need to be on antibiotics, so it may be longer honestly. How do I go about taking care of her in tha cage? Or should I not let her leave the garage? It's just very hot rn so I'm going to try to keep her in the cage inside as long as I can. Maybe I can transfer her into a kennel or something.

Any tips on giving medicine to cats? Wet food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet should be able to give her a long-lasting antibiotic injection, especially if you specify that is your wish since she is feral or semi-feral, unless you are prepared to pill her, which does not seem feasible. But if you must pill her, it should be crushed and mixed into her wet food.

Do NOT keep her in a hot garage. I was hoping you could bring her to your home for a few days where she can be comfortable and cared for in a larger kennel or room while she recovers in a safe, climate-controlled space. She can under no circumstances stay alone in a small carrier in a hot garage.

She can be released back to the garage when she is recovered and can be on her own with food and water provided.

Please keep us apprised of her outcome and progress tomorrow, and thank you for your efforts on her behalf. P P-chan96

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet should be able to give her a long-lasting antibiotic injection, especially if you specify that is your wish since she is feral or semi-feral, unless you are prepared to pill her, which does not seem feasible. But if you must pill her, it should be crushed and mixed into her wet food.

Do NOT keep her in a hot garage. I was hoping you could bring her to your home for a few days where she can be comfortable and cared for in a larger kennel or room while she recovers in a safe, climate-controlled space. She can under no circumstances stay alone in a small carrier in a hot garage.

She can be released back to the garage when she is recovered and can be on her own with food and water provided.

Please keep us apprised of her outcome and progress tomorrow, and thank you for your efforts on her behalf. P P-chan96
I meant to have the carrier in my house. I wouldn't cage her in the garage. I just wonder how she would go potty and stuff. W