New feral, what now

Colsan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We received a new feral cat a few days ago. He had been living under a farmhouse for quite a while. We have him in a large dog crate and he seems comfortable. On day 2 I was able to stroke him and while he doesn't seem to mind me stroking his head, ears, paws, he still seems to be frightened and backs away a little. He's shown no sign of aggression at all but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing in stroking him at this stage in case I'm frightening him more than comforting him. I have a couple dogs who are both good with cats, the smallest has been sniffing around the cage but he's more interested in stealing the cat food than the cat itself. The cat however won't be used to having dogs around so how do I introduce them in a safe way
He's a big boy, his fur is like a possums
IMG_20200717_190059.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this sweet one. First step is a vet visit. He needs to be vaccinated as well as neutered. Introductions and socializing will be much easier once he has been neutered.

I would work on getting him comfortable in your home and with you first before allowing the dogs to be near him. This could only make things take longer.

I do not believe he is a feral since you can pet him. Feral cats would never allow that. Most likely he is a stray cat that was abandoned and has some feral like qualities.

Here are some tips for socializing:

1. The first tip is to have a room that is dedicated to the cat. If possible this should be a room where the cat will be confined for a period of time. You can use a spare bedroom or even a small bathroom. If using a bedroom or other room of your home, be sure that the room is cat proofed. Remove mattress and box springs or place them directly on the floor. Hiding under a bed is the first place the cat will run and it is almost impossible to get them out. Also block behind dressers or book cases. Cats can fit into very small spaces. You do want to have an appropriate hiding spot for the cat. This can be an old box turned on its side or a hiding box found on a cat tree. Also make sure all windows are tightly closed and blinds are up with the cords hidden. Do not be surprised if the cat throws himself against the window in an attempt to escape.

2. If you do not have an empty room available or the cat is very wild, you can use a large dog crate or fasten two smaller crates together. Just be sure there is enough room for a small litter pan and food. If you need to use a crate, I would suggest keeping the crate covered with a sheet or towel when the cat is alone. This will help to calm the cat. Eventually you will need a cat proofed space where you can move the cat.

3. You will want to start with 2 litter boxes. Many feral cats are not used to urinating and defecating in the same location. When choosing a litter, you can use fresh clean potting soil mixed with non clumping litter or you can try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Attract. I have found the Litter Attract to work very well. If the cat has an accident on the floor, sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it into the litter box. Do the same with any stool. Make sure you clean the area very well with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces of odor. Place the litter boxes away from the food and water.

4. Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5. Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

6. No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

7. Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

8. Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

9. Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colsan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had a session with him tonight. He's still cautious but tonight he allowed me to hand feed him before he tucked into his food in his bowl. That's the first time he's eaten while I've been there Once he'd finished he seemed so more relaxed. I was able to give him a gentle stroke on his head and he had a little purrr for the first time.😍😍
At that, I left him to settle as was obviously feeling more comfortable and content.