New Feral Under the Weather

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I probably just need some hand-holding here more than anything else, but I'm worried and I have to do something with that worry so here I am. I'd love opinions on this.

I trapped a new feral "teen" (maybe about 7 mos?) last week. He had been friendly to me when I'd go out and feed him, and my husband fell in love with his unique look. He is super friendly to us, no trace of aggression or anything else. He had his first vet appointment yesterday, and he was even very good at the vet, purring up a storm. I already knew he had tapeworms and told the vet so. My assumption is he has round and/or hook as well, as most of the ones I've taken in here have (current feral count here is 5 that I've trapped in my semi-rural back yard). The vet also found a live flea. His bloodwork came back great, and his SNAP test negative for FIV/FeLV/heartworm. He got his rabies vax and his FVRCP vax.

Vet gave us Effipro Plus spot on (similar to Frontline Plus) for fleas and Profender for worms, with instructions to do the flea stuff first. I applied the Effipro when we got home from the vet. I didn't like the idea of two spot on treatments so instead of the Profender, today I gave him (again, flea stuff was yesterday) a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate suspension and a Bayer Elanco tapeworm pill (he is 9.5 lbs, so one pill). That combo of wormers is the equivalent of Drontal tabs.

He had kind of had a little reduced appetite before the worm meds, but not anything alarming. Now this evening, something like 8 or 10 hours after the worm meds, he still hasn't eaten much of his lunch and isn't really interested in food or even squeeze treats. He seems drowsy, and occasionally he makes a weird face with his mouth open just a little (not the smelling something face) and then licks his lips. He's still purry and friendly, but only stays for a few pets and then goes back and lays down. He is peeing like normal and I think also pooping like normal (he pooped this morning).

He does not seem acutely ill and it doesn't really seem like an ER thing, but he does seem really uncomfortable. ALL of these things (the vaccines and the meds) have the side effect of gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, etc. Should I stop being a worrywart mom and just assume whatever this is will pass, and it's just kind of an issue of too much all at once, kind of like when I made the terrible mistake of getting my Covid booster and my flu shot at the same time? Any suggestions to make him more comfortable? If it's just the onslaught of meds, any idea when he'll start feeling better?

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know when my cats lick their lips, it's a stomach upset. I think it's from his treatment and he should be better tomorrow.

He's probably a stray or abandoned pet. A feral would take time to tame and be more like a wild animal.

tristessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, licking of the lips is nausea and he naturally is avoiding eating too much. See how he feels by tomorrow. If he is refusing food and still acting lethargic, call the vet for followup advice. They can give that over the phone. Check is gums and make sure they are pink, not white. He should still be drinking. You do not want him to become dehydrated. Might be all the meds and vaccines at once.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I trapped a new feral "teen" (maybe about 7 mos?) last week.
Thank you for taking this kitty in and giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life :clapcat:

ALL of these things (the vaccines and the meds) have the side effect of gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, etc.
Yes, I do think the jabs and medication is making him a little lethargic and especially the jabs that cause a little fever. Keep him cool and let him rest. He may not eat for at the moment, but you can try to see if he wants to eat. Yes, have fresh filtered water for him.

Anything unusual, call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks much all, you've helped put my mind a bit more at ease.

Timewarp - He's definitely feral, I know who his daddy is (a grizzled tomcat who also comes to eat at the feeding station in my yard). But being a very hungry young lad, Paulie fell into a consistent routine so I've been working with him for several months while he was outside. Most of my ferals have started out more terrified than actually mean, although one of them is a torbie which is certainly an adventure.

Gums are nice and pink, thank goodness. Unfortunately he's not a big water drinker (even when he was outside) but he did either take a sip or at least think about it when I gave him a fresh bowl this evening. He's got part of a squeeze treat and a little wet food in there which should help, if his tummy settles enough to eat.

I've got a camera on him 24/7 (he's still in my socializing crate until the parasites clear) so I'll be able to see how he does overnight, in addition to how he is in the morning.

Thanks again!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Timewarp - He's definitely feral, I know who his daddy is (a grizzled tomcat who also comes to eat at the feeding station in my yard). But being a very hungry young lad, Paulie fell into a consistent routine so I've been working with him for several months while he was outside.
Guess he's not a true feral as his dad is. You've kind of socialized him a young age and that's why he's super friendly. You did a good job! :clapcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His dad is very feral indeed, but he sort of trusts me now too, because I've been feeding him for a long time now. I've been trying to trap him forever but he is trap shy. I have a thing for feral cats and feral tomcats particularly. Unlike his son, if I try to step outside dadcat will take off...but dadcat will at least let me open the back door and reach out to put a bowl of food on the porch without running away now. But he still won't go in that trap!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
His dad is very feral indeed, but he sort of trusts me now too, because I've been feeding him for a long time now. I've been trying to trap him forever but he is trap shy. I have a thing for feral cats and feral tomcats particularly. Unlike his son, if I try to step outside dadcat will take off...but dadcat will at least let me open the back door and reach out to put a bowl of food on the porch without running away now. But he still won't go in that trap!
Yea, dadcat kinda trust you like 15% but is still weary. That's his nature but you never know, you may be able to trap him one of these days.

Last edited: