New Cat Won't Go Out?

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, we adopted Luna from a cat shelter a few weeks ago. Neither me or my partner have ever owned cats before, so we're complete novices! Having said that, Luna seems to have settled in really well and we've not had any trouble with her whatsoever. However... She doesn't want to go outside! The shelter said she was found a stray and that she would need access to outside, so I've been really anticipating letting her out because I had it in my mind that she would love it outdoors.

She doesn't seem to be frightened of outside, she just isn't bothered? She does go outside in the garden, but whenever we let her out at the front she just climbs over the gate to get back into the garden and waits to be let in from the back. I don't want to force her to do anything she doesn't want to, but I'm just worried that she's bored and surely it can't be good for her to stay cooped up inside all day? Especially since we've been told she needs to be let out. Since we know she isn't going out we've been trying our best to keep her entertained with toys and play, but I'm really baffled as to why she won't go outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But why wouldn't she want to go outside if that's what she's used to? I'm aware of the risks, and where we live is pretty quiet. Not many cars, quiet neighbourhood etc. If I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't want to let her out.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Because she doesn't want to? IDK but if she doesn't want to don't force her. Have you tried a harness or enclosure?

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We aren't forcing her, if she wants to stay indoors then we'll definitely accommodate that, I'm just confused as to why we were told she's a cat that needs to be let outdoors by the cat shelter, since she doesn't show any interest at all. Our garden is tiny so I'm not sure we could manage a suitable enclosure for her, but a harness is definitely something we could consider!

Luna'sDaddy here now,
We respect that you care about what our cat wants, and we appreciate it. Truly, we don't force her out if she doesn't want to. But our concern lies in the reason. As you can see above, we were told by the shelter that she was a stray, and that she should ideally be let out. We're new to owning a cat, so we're not 100% familiar with their behavioural patterns, hence why we're looking for clarification. We want to know the possible reasons why a cat, who's known to be one to stay outside for extensive periods of time, is aversive to going out.

We understand the safety issues of letting a cat out, that much we're not oblivious to, but I respect that you'd want to point them out so thank you (:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats all my life. If there's one quote that's true, "women and cats will do as they please"

If she was a stray who knows what happened to her out there. She probably knows she has it good and wants to take advantage of it. You could put up some bird feeders for her to watch the birds and squirrels from a window where she's happy.

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a wonderful idea, we've just had a big new window installed into the kitchen overlooking the garden. We'd just have to encourage her to jump onto the counters!

That's another thing I've noticed - Luna doesn't climb much. She'll only climb high on her cat tree if we've put some catnip onto it. Out of her own volition though, she'll only climb onto our bed and the couch.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read of previous strays and even feral who once inside are not that interested in going out again . Maybe as the shelter found her as a stray they are being extra cautious and advising you to give her access to outside. She might be just happy and content indoors and just maybe she wasn't that into the outdoors however had no choice before. She'll soon let you know if she's bored and unhappy . Just give her plenty toys . Has she a cat post and vertical spaces? Mine has no interest in outside and we extended the window seals and placed pillows on there so she could people and bird watch ! Thank you for looking after her

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh really? See I thought that since that's what they're used to, they'd want to continue going outside.

She has all she needs and more :) a post, a tree, toys, boxes, plenty of things to climb on and even her own little kennel. I'll see if I can do something with our window sill so she can do the same.

Oh she's a princess alright Indy. The shelter even told us she's a right hussy and wants to be petted all the time!

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"That's another thing I've noticed - Luna doesn't climb much. She'll only climb high on her cat tree if we've put some catnip onto it. Out of her own volition though, she'll only climb onto our bed and the couch."

My cat came to me as a stray too. He seems to have missed out on many things that I had before taken for granted as things that cats just "knew". Climbing on different items in the house was one of them.

I just kept giving him treats and leaving treats for him wherever I wanted to let him know he was allowed... The couches... A window perch he now loves... Now he even climbs up to the top of one of the wardrobes where I've put a blanket and he'll happily fall asleep up there. This site taught me that heights give cats confidence but I certainly had to "teach" Scraggles that he could indeed climb up to these places.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh really? See I thought that since that's what they're used to, they'd want to continue going outside.

She has all she needs and more :) a post, a tree, toys, boxes, plenty of things to climb on and even her own little kennel. I'll see if I can do something with our window sill so she can do the same.

Oh she's a princess alright Indy. The shelter even told us she's a right hussy and wants to be petted all the time!
See the princess just wanted her own palace to live in mine jumped on hubbys shoes when we put her on the garden (on a harness) as she didn't like the grass. We like you worried she needed the great outdoors ! Even built her an outside enclosure which and has been in twice and cried to get out and ran back in doors ! She loves being warm and she loves that she owns our apartment (not us). Give her time it will be her place ! Mine tried not to let hubby change the bed today and wouldnt move off the bed when he tried to move the sheet from beneath her !

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Scraggles that makes a lot of sense. I haven't been encouraging her much to climb except leaving catnip on her cat tree because I thought if a cat wants to climb, then they will climb. I didn't want to make her do anything, but I'll do exactly as you said and leave treats all over the house to let her know that it's okay for her to climb there :)

Luna'sMummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See the princess just wanted her own palace to live in mine jumped on hubbys shoes when we put her on the garden (on a harness) as she didn't like the grass. We like you worried she needed the great outdoors ! Even built her an outside enclosure which and has been in twice and cried to get out and ran back in doors ! She loves being warm and she loves that she owns our apartment (not us). Give her time it will be her place ! Mine tried not to let hubby change the bed today and wouldnt move off the bed when he tried to move the sheet from beneath her !
Yep that sounds like our Luna, loving being warm. Sounds like your little baby has landed on her paws with you :) I'm sure Luna will be ruling the roost soon enough! But if she does decide she wants to go outside she's more than welcome to. The little princess gets what she wants :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like others noted, sometimes cats who had to endure the hardship of making on their own outdoors realize the joy and benefits of free food, air conditioning, safety and having a maid who cleans the toilet box. I've owned a couple of ferals/strays who never set foot outside doorway their whole lives after adoption. I could leave the door wide open and they would barely sit at the threshold. It's the kitties who were born and raised indoors who seems to feel there is some mystery and allure to the great outdoors that they think they're missing out on.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha we are both one side of the double bed at the moment as she is stretched out the other side ! (It's bed time here ). Enjoy your princess !! Ours was our first ever cat and we both love her so much ! Even east end wide boy hubby cuddles and kisses her !!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my ten are strays, and the other eight once feral. None show the slightest desire to go outside. Maybe they know that there's not a single place on the planet where mosquitoes don't carry feline heartworm, and that once established, it's certain death with no cure.

No cat should ever be outside for any reason.

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am also a new Cat carer (less than 6 months). Thermose has been indoor cat only so far. I stopped considering her boredome after none of the expensive toys worked to entertain her. What I have discovered for me/Thermose is that cats don't need as much attention as I am trying to push on her.

For Thermose it's just belly rubs and head bumps.

Jason