New Cat Vs Older Cats

Luella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 months ago I adopted a male cat, who is 3 years old. I already had a brother and sister duo who are also 3 years old. I thought after two months they would all be getting along but they are not and I dont know what to do! Please help!

The girl cat is still scared of the new cat and still after two months hisses at him when she is near him.

The male cat that Id previously had, always wants to see the new cat. But when he does see him, he is always chasing him or trying to claw the new cat. However, both male cats will sleep on my bed near each other and be fine for a couple of hours.

I have tried leaving each of the cats scents around for each to get used to, but that doesn't seem to work

I'm wanting to know how to bring all the cats together, as currently the new cat has to always be in his own room with the door closed when I'm out.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all spayed or neutered?

Have you tried site swapping? That's when you allow the new cat time to be in the space where the other cats usually are and put them in the space where he usually stays. This does two things, it allows the new cat to get his scent all over the place (which is probably not a problem now) and allows him to gain some much needed confidence.

Playing with him alone will allow him to see the space as friendly, particularly if you play with him, feed him treats and pet him. Cat towers and perches near windows are very important also because it allows him to watch the world from up high. I also used cat tunnels, my cats still love them, put them in narrow places so he can come and go with ease.

The cats cannot be allowed to chase unless it's a game between equals, one chasing one then the other chasing the chaser etc. If you see your male cat about to treat your new cat like prey you need to say "No" in an authoritative voice, clap your hands or throw something soft in the cat's direction (not at the cat) and re- direct it's attention to something else. You need to be consistent.

Jackson Galaxy suggests you feed them on each side of the door or baby gate. The idea is that you start with the bowls far away from each other and gradually move them closer as they begin to associate the other cat with good things (food). He has a vid on youtube just search on "Jackson Galaxy" and "introduce" "cats".

Another thing you could try is putting the new cat and the female cat in the same room and play with with an interactive toy. Their focus should be on the game, you would give them treats and affection. You could then try it with the male.

You could also try calming aids such as feliway.

This article will give you some tips.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow thats great advice! thank you so much!
yes all cats are neutered.
I tried the eating together each on a different side of the door this morning and will continue with that!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
wow thats great advice! thank you so much!
yes all cats are neutered.
I tried the eating together each on a different side of the door this morning and will continue with that!
M moorspede , as usual, has given amazing advice. I'd just like to add that you can also try feeding them on opposite sides or a glass door (if you have one inside your home) after they seem comfortable with a regular door. That way they can see each other as well as smell each other!

Best of luck with the introductions!