New cat, old cat problems

Cheryl42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a new cat about 6 weeks ago after our dog passed away. He is 8 months old now and my resident cat is 7 years old. They are both fixed. She had no problems with our dog, but she is seemingly terrified of the new cat. We went through the steps you are supposed to go through - but the "feeding on both sides of the door" didn't work out because she is not at all food motivated. She does like treats, but she wouldn't touch them if they were near the door and he was on the other side.

We currently have a double gate set up in my room, and we try to take turns with them having the run of the house. She will hiss and growl if she is within 6 feet of the gate and he's on the other side. They've had a few chaperoned face-to-face meetings which have not gone well. We are using a pheromone diffuser (Comfort Zone) in my room and we have a Feliway spray, but I'm not sure how best to use the spray. I am also using calming treats.

Part of the issue is that he is VERY friendly and really wants to play with her. So if they aren't separated by the gate, he will approach her. Right now he is sitting outside the gate trilling at her.

As an aside, he also seems to have separation anxiety. We are assuming it's because his previous owners surrendered him, so I'm hoping that will pass soon. Please help. I'm beginning to feel like we are going to have to rehome a cat.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK when I first got Lizzy Bella HATED her. She would hide under the bed growling. Anytime Lizzy would go near her shed growl and hiss and sometimes swat at her. It's been 3 months and Bella only hisses when Lizzy gets in her face to play too much. Other than that she tolerates her. They sleep on the bed, Bella tolerates Lizzy playing with her tail (to a point), Lizzy can actually kick Bella, ect. Oh and Bella is 14 and Lizzy is about 7 almost 8 months old now.

So give it time. Cats take a lot of time to adjust. Give your old cat a ton of affection and let her know she comes first no matter what. Let her tell the kitten off for rowdiness. As long as she actively doesn't hurt her she's fine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, time. LokiWolf LokiWolf is right. Six weeks, in cat introductions, is really not much time at all. You just do it until. And never try to go faster than your most reluctant cat...that's the cat that sets the pace, always.

Take a look at these articles. They may give you some ideas you haven't tried yet, or tell you how to fine-tune the ones that you have.