New Cat Mom Here, Ciao From Milan

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I've been a constant vistor to this site since I decided to get a kitten a month ago and it's helped me so much. I now have my own question to pose and could really use your valuable advice.

I am a new cat mom, living in Milan, Italy. Nala (tabby kitty, now two months old) is adorable, very playful and very affectionate. She has already been to the vet twice and is happy and healthy as can be.

The only problem (or perhaps it's more of a guilt thing on my part) is that I am usually out of the house 10 hours a day for work, sometimes longer when it's very manic at work. Nala has started to run to the door when she knows I am leaving and meowing loudly as I walk away (which of course makes me feel super guilty). Everytime I come home she is standing right by the door (she hears me walking up the stairs to the flat) and basically jumps into me very affectionately or runs out to explore.

This only started happening two weeks ago, as before that my boyfriend was home (he works one month abroad, one month he is home in Italy), and she would never really bother when I left (probably because there was always another human there to give her attention).

She hasn't displayed any aggressive behaviour, and continues to be playful and sweet when I am home, but of course she craves attention and I try to give it to her as much as I can.

My question is, should I get a new kitty to keep her company? I am just very worried that a) they wouldn't get along and b) that it would be quite overwhelming having two cats, although most people here seem to say it's fine!

I am also super happy with Nala, as she is quite a playful, peaceful and loving kitten, and I guess I am already quite used to that personality. I just feel very guilty leaving her for such long hours when she is so young, and I've heard two kittens give each other great company (although there is of course the risk they don't get along)... She is still so young so now woudl be the best time to introduce a new kitty to the house.

I will also mention that she has quite a few toys, and when I come back it does look like she has played, so I think she does keep herself occupied when I am gone.

Any thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated! Also, I will be moving into a bigger flat flat in January (I currently live in a studio) and December is quite a busy month with travelling, so perhaps best to introduce one next year, when she will be around 3-4 months old?

Thanks for all your help!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
7F69364B-358B-485A-B163-8CA9091275D1.gif
to you and Nala, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
CB314E24-DE6B-46F5-B1AE-D1081307CBB3.gif

Glad that you’ve joined the site finally. Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here Articles | The Cat Site

As for your kitten, do not worry too much. Just have a change of toys for her every few days and have an interactive toy for her too.

Most of the time she’ll be sleeping as kittens sleeps lots and she’ll just play for awhile and sleep again.

Just shower her with lots of love and play with her when you are home from work.

If you have any other questions, you may post them here Cat Behavior

Do post photos of Nala for us to see please.

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, that's really helpful!

With regards to the toys, right now I usually keep all of them out, so I am assuming that's not good? Do you suggest changing them so she doesn't get bored? I keep them all out so she has lots of different things to play with.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, cats can get bored with certain toys and also they have interest in certain toys. Not all that is available they like.

When you are at home, use the cat wand and play with her. That will make her hunt and jump and catch. You have to find out which are the toys she likes best and not necessarily it has to be bought.

You can DIY or improvise toys for her which cost nothing. Things like used toilet roll, where she can push, roll it and bite. Ping pong balls are fun. Balls with bells in them might interest her too. Just don’t hang toys with a string for her to play while you are out and unsupervised. Her tongue, legs or claws may get tangled up and the string will cut off blood supply which is dangerous.

If you have a window that she can look out would be good. That’ll be her big screen tv so that she can look out and see birds, bugs or the streets where many things are moving just make sure window is secured. Have a cat tree by the window.

Get a cardboard box for her to play in. Cats love cardboard boxes.
52 Reasons Why Cats Must Get Inside Boxes
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How And Why Do Cats Play?
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Make sure your house is cat safe. Keep all medications out of reach, hide all electrical cords, curtain cords, toilet bowls covers down, detergents and toxic chemicals, human food like chocolates, garlic. Some flowers are dangerous like Lilies and some toxic plants too.
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home
The Cat Safety Quiz
Household Chemicals And Your Cats
Cats And Hidden Dangers In The Home

And lastly, have her spayed when she is at the right age Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave3: And congrats on your adoption of little Nala. :catrub: Please post a picture of her, if you can. :camera:

I understand your concern about leaving her alone for so long, but cats are pretty adjustable, so she will probably get used to it and be fine. Plus your boyfriend will be around more every other month.

Is Nala really only 2 months old - like 8 weeks. That's still really young. She must be very tiny still.

If you decide to get a 2nd kitten, sooner is probably better as I think kittens adjust to another kitten faster than adult cats do. Here's an article on cat introductions, though it will likely go faster the younger the kitten are.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Nala! Some cats like the company of other cats, others do not. Nala is going to be sleeping a good part of the time that you are away, anyhow, so that's a help! I think that it is cute that she follows and fusses at you when you leave, but judging from my own cat's actions and reactions, she's just as likely to be miffed that the "staff" is headed out the door as she is to be pitifully lonely!

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your valuable advice :) As a first time cat owner I tend to worry, but you've reassured me that it's fine. She is still super playful all the time and cozies up to me so I don't feel like she is acting out or anything.
Here's also a picture of the little munchkin :)

Another quick question - in December I am travelling quite a lot and will be away for Christmas (this was all planned before getting a kitten was even in the picture!) I am hoping some neighbours will agree to look after her, feed her and change her litter box, but I will be away for a week, during Christmas and New Years. What's the best way to plan around my being abroad? Again, feeling quite guilty leaving her but no choice in the matter, and the vet told me she is still too young to be taken on a plane.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... she's adorable. :lovecat2:

About when you're away, you definitely need someone reliable to check on her at least once a day, preferably twice.

If you can't find someone, does your vet board pets? Not as good as being at home, but at least she'd be safe and you'd know a responsible person would be regularly checking on the animals.

Or possibly find a pet sitter who could pop in twice a day. Though at this late date they might already be booked for the holidays.

When your vet said she was too young to be taken on a plane, did he mean in the cargo hold? Is taking her on board as "carry on" a possibility?

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, that's valuable advice :) I will find a pet sitter to either come to my place or board her somewhere.
With regards to travelling, she is too young in that she would need the rabies shot and be micro-chipped to enter the country I'm travelling to, and we're just a bit too tight on time. But hopefully I can find her a great pet sitter so she doesn't feel too lonely!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to leave a detailed list of care and feeding instructions, as well as phone numbers where you can be reached and the name, address and phone number for your vet. Check with them and let them know the name of the caregiver, just in case. You might have to sign something at the vet's office if there were an emergency visit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to leave a detailed list of care and feeding instructions, as well as phone numbers where you can be reached and the name, address and phone number for your vet. Check with them and let them know the name of the caregiver, just in case. You might have to sign something at the vet's office if there were an emergency visit.
Very good advice, and things I probably wouldn't think of.