New Cat Is Being Jealous And Pushy With Resident Cat...how To Train?

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new cat is still adjusting to my home and my resident cat. He is still separated from resident cat during the day and we let him out at night when we can supervise. We've been letting them interact for longer and longer. And now, he seems really pushy with her. Alwways getting in her face, following her, and now even biting her. For 3 weeks he hadnt shown any aggression at all and now he's getting in her face. Also, when I try to pay attention to resident cat, he tries to get in the way and its hard to hold him back, he seems hell bent on going to her.

What do you all reckon this means? And can I train him somehow to leave her alone more? Or stop trying to interfere?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is your resident cat handling the aggression? Taking it in stride, fighting back, getting scared?

You might have to take a step or two back in the introduction process. You can also try to remove him from her when he gets pushy - as in picking him up, saying a firm 'no' and nothing more, then taking him back to his space, sort of as a time out.

Are you playing with him separately at times? If not, start doing so. He may be having some aggression toward her if he doesn't feel like he is getting the same level of attention that she does. Or, he could simply be trying to become the dominate cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hisses and fights back. The whole time, she's been the more aggressive one (tho hissing was as far as it went) and usually he obeys and leaves. I should say too that we've been out of town and they were separated more than usual. SO maybe he is just excited but not sure. Also weird is that they are making more progress. She sometimes will lick him and he loves it but then it turns to aggression. Also they have been laying together more and seem to be more used to each other. But aside from the progress, im seeing worse things like the fightin (which has only happened twice thaty ive seen)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I try to play with him too. But maybe its not enough

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it can't hurt to play with him more (I am sure he would agree ;)).

But, if she fights back when she's had enough, then it is probably something they are going to have to work out among themselves. That is, assuming he stops, or at least backs off. You can still give him a time out when his behavior is what you consider unacceptable, (like biting her, or bugging her only because she is getting attention). Otherwise, a firm 'no' to both of them when they get into it (or a hiss at both of them) may be enough to tell them it is time to 'knock it off'.

But, whenever they get to the point that you are afraid someone is going to get hurt, either separate them and say 'no' or hiss, and if they go right back at it, repeat as needed. If you are concerned about getting hurt yourself, keep on hand a big thick piece of cardboard and use it to place in between them.

He is probably more aggressive because he feels more confident in his place in the home, and doesn't feel as if he needs to 'bow to her every whim'.