New Cat Is A Little Shit To My Old Cat!

Jemima Mouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha ha! Yes, as the title says... my new cat, who is now eight months, has started to pounce and chase my older, resident cat - she's eight years!

He (Colin, the 8mo), seems to have suddenly become king of my home and my garden, and is. confident, gorgeous little thing. But he won't leave my poor old girl alone. She'll be out in the garden sunning herself, then he stalks her and they start smacking each other with their paws.

In the day he will mostly stay out, and come in to snooze in the afternoon. Then in the evening, I keep them in to protect them and wildlife. He stole her sleeping spot at the end of our bed. And now prowls around and bothers her - she took herself off to my sons room.

So last night I decided to shut him in the main living/kitchen/dining area, away from the rest of the house ( we live in a bungalow). And my lovely old girl came back on to our bed!

But I am not sure I can keep them separated - well, I can't. And he isn't viscous - just a silly, playful thing! he has an entire garden and more to amuse himself in the day, and me and the children play with him in the garden so much, so I don't think it's boredom.

If he doesn't go up to her, she doesn't mind him sitting nearby, but he just can't seem to resist her!

Any tips? Also, I'd rather not separate him in the night, but then also, I like the fact my old girl felt she could come back to her sleeping spot, and could sleep in peace - plus she doesn't wake us up at 5am and he did when he was allowed in our room! I just want to make sure I keep a close bond with both cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Mouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S Forgot to mention that we have only had him since the 7 of April, when he was six months old. So still a fairly new situation.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are home, could you split the outside time? One cat gets locked in the room in the morning and one cat gets locked in the room in the afternoon? That way she can get some peace and quite without him for part of the day. Hopefully within 3-12 months things will have settled down, dominance/top cat will be decided and he will be out of his hyper teen months.

Some of it they just have to sort out for themselves. I would play with each cat individually every day (perhaps before bedtime, then a treat?) I made a point to give my senior cat cuddles, individual play time and that kittens understood they could not push my grumpy senior off my lap .... and that my grumpy senior couldn’t hiss/push a kitten off my lap .... they learned to share and I got a cat blanket on my lap ;) Generally speaking the more positive things you can do/can happen when your two cats are together, the better. I have mastered petting two cats at once and waving a wand toy in each hand.

Perhaps someone who has introduced an older cat to a teen can chime in?
:goodluck:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females are known to be bothered by teen boys and be annoyed, even if they are her sons! Everything really sounds kind of normal, he is new, young and full of energy, and wants to play. She is older, and female, so becomes a perfect target for his attention. If he is not neutered, get that done asap, that would help calm him down somewhat. She will continue to put him in his place and eventually a truce will be called. Mine still jump on and bother their mom 4 years later. She screams and hisses, and swats them good, so really, it sounds like family. Make sure she has a high up comfortable place to go, like up on a table so she can defend herself and feel safe. She will teach him manners and limits eventually!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most young cats just don't seem to have the ability to figure out if an older cat actually wants to play, or maybe its more accurate to say they don't have the ability to care. Not so surprising really, 5 year old humans don't take no for an answer either. So of course your older cat is annoyed.

Its all just totally normal. No point in punishment. Punishing a human five year for wanting to play wouldn't work and wouldn't seem fair, and its just the same with an 8 month old cat.

Let them work it out.

Last edited:

Jemima Mouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fabulous - thank you everyone! I understand about just letting them figure it out themselves, and perhaps not worrying too much about separating them? At night even? Although I did like the fact my old girl came back to her own spot, but missed my playful boy! Ha! It all makes sense really, and I just have to stop worrying and feeling bad for all involved. They have a wonderful, loving home, access to a gorgeous garden, plus food! So they should be happy here. X

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often work out timeshares on favorite spots or garden times. I would let my boy out in the afternoon. Our semi-feral would use the backyard in the morning, sleep inside in the afternoon, hang out in the front yard/the block at night. So both cats owned the backyard, just at different times. Your two cats might work out a schedule over time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until he settles down - assuming that he will - to help keep your girl from feeling stressed out all the time, I think she should have "elder" rights to sleep with you at night. Her being kept from doing so is probably more harmful and bothersome to her than it is to him being denied that privilege.

Have you considered placing a harness/or collar on him with a bell? At least that way she would always know when he is approaching her. It might just be enough to take the fun out of stalking her.

I am going to offer you some TCS articles just in case there are any tips in them that might help you out!

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teenage males are jerks :tongue:. He will eventually grow out of it, but it may be a while. Make sure she has a way to get away from him, and some alone time with you.

Is he neutered yet?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Separations to give a little private love can help the older cat's mental state. However, just be mindful that when you separate them, the younger cat might become even more eager, and more wanting to jump and play. Sometimes letting them stay together is actually the best bet, as then the kitten will eventually get tired and maybe they can interact in a different way. A half-hour of cuddle time in a room with a closed door is one thing, but the entire night is something to think about-- there is a counter-argument for that being a good idea.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[Deleted - meant to post in another thread, sorry!]

Last edited:

Jemima Mouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A half-hour of cuddle time in a room with a closed door is one thing, but the entire night is something to think about-- there is a counter-argument for that being a good idea.
Yeah this is where I struggle. I love the fact my female older cat has returned to her old spot at the foot of my bed, it feels right and how it should be, however, as soon as 'jerk' as someone nicknamed teenage male cats (affectionately of course!), comes into the room, no matter the time (gone midnight last night for this intense), he pounces on her and she eventually got off the bed and skulked off to another spot in the house.

So what do I do??? I tried keeping him out the night before - in a large open plan space, with food, water and a bed. And a lovely view to outdoors. And she slept peacefully in her old spot with us for the whole night. We all slept.

Then last night, I felt bad for Colin, the male teen, and so let him have free range, but yep, he ruined it! Daft twit!

So I a left wondering what to do tonight. The thing is, if I let him have free range, both myself and my older girl do not have a relaxing sleep! I am on alert waiting for him to come in and upset Mouse (my girl cat), and so is she.

They have just been outside together and he didn't bother her. He's been out most of the day, and so she has slept and napped peacefully...

Jemima Mouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she should have "elder" rights to sleep with you at night. Her being kept from doing so is probably more harmful and bothersome to her than it is to him being denied that privilege.
I like this. But then someone else said maybe all night is not great for the younger male. I don't know what to do.

If I leave him out to roam the house, he will typically settle at the foot of our bed in my old girls spot, and she will go elsewhere, usually to sleep on a bed I have made up in my son's room. Then he wakes us up at about 5am!

If I keep him in the main area, then my old girl comes back to sleep on the bed, and it is is much more peaceful!

I just really want to keep my bond with her, whilst growing my bond with him.

Sometimes I wonder why I got a second cat. :( I love cats so much, and I love the new boy. So I don't regret it, but it has added extra worry!