New cat bullying one of the old residents

Rpcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats all between 1-1 1/2 years old Mal, frank and Daf. Mal and frank, and frank and Daf get on really well. They play with each other, groom and sleep together. However, Daf seems to hate Mal and will hiss and attack him. Mal is clearly scared of Daf as he’ll try to avoid him and just cowers when attacked. Daf seems to attack him without provocation and I have seen him run across the room to hit Mal while he is asleep.
Why does he seem to attack him for no reason and what can we do to stop him??

background info:
We got Frank and Mal together as they got on well at the rescue centre. All was going really well but Frank went missing. We tried everything and eventually got him back after 5 months! In the mean time Mal seemed very lonely so we decided to get another cat while Frank was still missing in the the hope that we would have 3 in the end but at least Mal would have company if Frank didn’t come back.

We rushed introductions with Mal and Daf and there was hissing but we were trying to remedy this by separating them and starting again when Frank was found and came back.

Daf and Frank met by accident but apart from a hiss from Daf got on straight away! I hoped this would help Mal and Daf get on but if anything it seems to be worse.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to try going through the reintroduction process between the three cats. Starting with keeping each separate as though they had never met before and slowly getting them used to one another again. Lots of info here on the introduction process. I would also add some calming agents like Feliway

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 . Thankfully, with cats you almost always get a do-over.

Here are a few articles to give you some guidance:

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Time and patience are your best friends here. You can only go as fast as the MOST reluctant cat is willing to go. If you try to push that, I promise you will go backwards!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going now? Have you found information in those articles that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
posted for you?

Have you tried any calming products?

Also, Mal needs a lot of loving and extra playtime if he's willing, to rebuild his confidence. He needs your help for that :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats all between 1-1 1/2 years old Mal, frank and Daf. Mal and frank, and frank and Daf get on really well. They play with each other, groom and sleep together. However, Daf seems to hate Mal and will hiss and attack him. Mal is clearly scared of Daf as he’ll try to avoid him and just cowers when attacked. Daf seems to attack him without provocation and I have seen him run across the room to hit Mal while he is asleep.
Why does he seem to attack him for no reason and what can we do to stop him??

background info:
We got Frank and Mal together as they got on well at the rescue centre. All was going really well but Frank went missing. We tried everything and eventually got him back after 5 months! In the mean time Mal seemed very lonely so we decided to get another cat while Frank was still missing in the the hope that we would have 3 in the end but at least Mal would have company if Frank didn’t come back.

We rushed introductions with Mal and Daf and there was hissing but we were trying to remedy this by separating them and starting again when Frank was found and came back.

Daf and Frank met by accident but apart from a hiss from Daf got on straight away! I hoped this would help Mal and Daf get on but if anything it seems to be worse.
I can't add anything to the excellent suggestions and information susanm9006 susanm9006 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Furballsmom Furballsmom have already posted, except to say that you might want to watch some YouTube videos that cat behaviorist and "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy has posted. He is amazing at getting good outcomes in situations like yours. BEST to you all, and keep us informed, won't you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rpcatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for all your replies. I should have said we have got feliway friends and on second month so hoping it will start working soon.
I will try and play with Mal more to increase his confidence.

We will try and introduce them again but Daf is very quick and confident so gets through doors! But can definitely do more scent swapping

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe an additional product can help;

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.
foodpuzzlesforcats.com

This post talks about some other products;