New Cat Aggression

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I recently lost a beloved Persian named Little Bit to kidney disease in February. I have 2 other cats. One is around 8 and the other about 5 named Cassie and Sissy. Both are rescue cats that I have had for several years. After my Persian died, I decided to adopt again after a few months. I adopted a beautiful little 8 month old cat/kitten whom I named Chloe. I have kept her separated from the other 2 in my bedroom, and only let them see her periodically and with supervision. Cassie tries to get along with Chloe, but she is a big cat, and when she passes by, Chloe sometimes becomes agitated, gets defensive and has attacked her. Sissy is aggressive to Chloe, and has tried to attack her as well. So I am forced to keep Chloe separated from them for safety reasons. I have introduced new cats to each other before, and never ever had this issue. I have tried Feliway with no luck so far. I really want these 3 to get along without all the cat fighting, but I don't know what else to do. Sissy and Cassie get along fine on their own. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to get these 3 together and at least learn to tolerate Chloe???

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello J JRT64 . :wave3:
I'm sorry for your loss of Little Bit, to kidney disease. It's never easy when we have to let a cat go.

For Chloe, how long did you do the 'cat to cat' introductions for?
Did you happen to see this Cat Site Article about cat introductions:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
If you take it step by step, then I'd suggest doing more scent swapping, with the cats, until Chloe has no reaction to either older cat's scent.
Chloe may just be afraid of Cassie, still, and acts out in fear. So perhaps using play sessions with all the cats, individually, and then later, when they can view each other will get them used to seeing how each cat reacts.
Also, try swapping out their cat beds, and cat toys, and watch their reactions.
They may just need more time to accept the newcomer, and the newcomer may need more time to feel confident, around the older cats.

Once you get them accustomed to all the scents, then positive motivators like food, and having them nearer and nearer to each other on opposite sides of a door, will help.

Also make sure that their is plenty of escape routes for the cats, and vertical spaces to jump to, so that no cat will feel cornered, when they do eventually meet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome and the reply cat nap!.

I have tried to introduce them for about 3 1/2 weeks now. Cassie and Sissy don't play much and are quiet cats. Chloe loves to run and play, and this may upset Sissy right now. Plus, territory might be an issue here as well. I had kept Chloe in a spare bedroom I have, but she didn't like it too much, and wanted out all the time. So I moved her to my bedroom as her safe place, which is larger and has more space. Cassie and Chloe don't always have problems, until Cassie tries to go in there, or gets too close to her. Cassie is pretty laid back, and won't scuffle unless attacked. Sissy is the little bully that tries to fight Chloe and it might make her afraid of Cassie as well. I don't know. I've never had an issue like this before, and I've owned many cats, so this is all new to me and I don't want to mess this up for any of us.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you are right, that Sissy wanting to fight with young Chloe, makes Chloe fearful of Cassie, as well.
And Sissy, may just be reacting to seeing Chloe attack older Cassie.

It is interesting, since I would have thought that the older cat, would be more bothered by the younger cat.
With their personalities, you may just have to go back, and try the steps in the 'cat intros' Article, and do it step by step.
It also sounds like your resident cats may not have liked the fact that Chloe got to be in your bedroom, so perhaps, just swap rooms from week to week, and see if they mellow out, or how they react.

One of the Advisors here, shadowsrescue shadowsrescue suggested using a wooden screen door, when introducing cats, so that the cats can see each other, but not fight. It's a very good idea.
Help with cat introduction ... see Post #2.

I'm thinking that you just need more time.
And if Sissy sees that Cassie is accepting the newbie, then she may calm down, too.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent advice above. One follow up question - are all of your girls spayed?

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sissy especially might not like Chloe being in my room I agree, but it was
Excellent advice above. One follow up question - are all of your girls spayed?
Yes they are all have been spayed.

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the idea of that screen, that way I can keep the door open what I'm at home after work.
At the present I'm working on Cassie first since she is the easy going calmer one. I kept Chloe down stairs with Cassie and myself for about 30 minutes. There was a little growling at first for Chloe, but after a few minutes she settled down and started exploring while I put Cassie on the couch. Then she started relaxing. I figured 30 minutes at a time was enough, as I didn't want to push things. I want her to see that Cassie isn't a threat to her, and that for Cassie that she won't be attacked by Chloe. Cassie is a big cat compared to Chloe, so I understand why she growled, especially after Sissy treated her bad. So I'm going to take it slow for now. Little victories and good short experiences at a time are what I'm after. I like that screen idea, that's worth a try so I don't have to close the door. Thank you shadowrescue!:)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Little victories and good short experiences at a time are what I'm after. I like that screen idea, that's worth a try so I don't have to close the door. Thank you shadowrescue!:)
J JRT64 I really like how you wrote "Little victories and good short experiences at a time are what I'm after."That is so true. :catrub::caticon: :blackcat:

I also agree. That 'barrier idea' that shadowsrescue shadowsrescue posted, above, is another genius idea.
I couldn't figure out how it stays up, without falling over, until I read about the 'zip/cable ties' and 'hook and eye' clamps, going into a cable tie loop.
In the comments of that link, they mentioned that it was cheaper than baby gates, and more flexible, so it can be fit to any width of door, or hallway, too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used one large 12 foot piece of wire shelving. At Home Depot they cut it for me into 3 sections so each piece is 4' tall. My cats are not big jumpers so 4' was fine. It is much easier to move around than the screen door.

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used one large 12 foot piece of wire shelving. At Home Depot they cut it for me into 3 sections so each piece is 4' tall. My cats are not big jumpers so 4' was fine. It is much easier to move around than the screen door.
I'm going to either Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow and make one of these screens, I will likely need about 6' of shelving to be sure that they can't jump or climb over it. That way they can see Chloe and get used to being around her, and still be protected and not behind closed doors all the time until they learn to get along.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I first started with the barrier, I used a baby gate in the threshold of the door for just a bit of added protection. I gradually phased out the baby gate once everyone was calm.

JRT64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I first started with the barrier, I used a baby gate in the threshold of the door for just a bit of added protection. I gradually phased out the baby gate once everyone was calm.
I just put up the barrier today in front of my bedroom, so far so good. Sissy has hissed at Chloe but no growling or attacking the barrier. Cassie just looks at it and walks off. I'm guessing their curiosity will lead them to get closer as they get used to seeing Chloe. I wish I had done this from the start. The barrier is 6 feet high and about 2 1/2 feet wide, so they can't jump over it and I have it fixed so it can't be knocked down. So hopefully all three girls will get a grip, and at least learn to tolerate each other.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just put up the barrier today in front of my bedroom, so far so good. Sissy has hissed at Chloe but no growling or attacking the barrier. Cassie just looks at it and walks off. I'm guessing their curiosity will lead them to get closer as they get used to seeing Chloe. I wish I had done this from the start. The barrier is 6 feet high and about 2 1/2 feet wide, so they can't jump over it and I have it fixed so it can't be knocked down. So hopefully all three girls will get a grip, and at least learn to tolerate each other.
I would start to feed them on either side of the gate. If they don't want to eat meals that way, then just do something very yummy. I often used plain cooked chicken. You can get them right up close to the barrier where they learn to associate each other with something extra delicious. I always use chicken or tuna. Regular cat food works too, but it needs to be something special.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have a lot of cats. For no apparent reason one of them - 'Tips' - started to become a bully. Snapping at the other cats , hogging food, etc. I put him on Zoloft and after a few days he became "normal". So far so good. I give him a dose a few times a week . Peace has been restored ... :kitty:
Good luck to you and kitty cats ~