Help with cat introduction

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a male resident cat, Shmoopy, 3 years. In October, we let in a stray female, CC. The vet said she was most likely pregnant so we did not get her spayed.

The female was locked in the bedroom for a day and I did the slow introduction with the door cracked open for a week. I finally let her out. They got along for about 15 mins before a horrible fight.

Then, a week before thanksgiving CC went into heat! So, she was not pregnant. CC was spayed dec 10. Now that she has healed I am attempting the intro again and Shmoopy is very aggressive.

I let CC out to wander the house and put male resident cat in the room for 2 hours 2 to 3 times a day. Is this bad? Shmoopy is now aggressive toward me.

I feel terrible and at my wits end.

I don't know what to do. I cry at the thought of giving up CC.

We have a baby gate but CC can jump it.

CC is calico and very sassy.

Shmoopy is huge. Huge paws and 15 lbs. I am afraid he will seriously harm CC.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can take a very very very long time to get used to each other.  You really need to follow a protocol for cat to cat intros.  Do not expect it to take a week or so, but do expect it to take many months.  Cats are very territorial and take awhile to adjust to other cats in their space.  Your new kitty needs to have a safe room where she stays during this intro period.  I will post some articles and some videos for you to watch.  The key is to take things very very slow.  If you rush the process, you will need to start back over again, thus prolonging the experience.  You do not want to move to the next step until you have no growling, hissing, yowling, attacking, etc... 

Also instead of a baby gate, try a cheap wooden screen door.  You can get one at Lowes for around $20 and attach it to the screen door with tension rods.  THis should only be used when you are there to supervise.  It gives the cat in the safe room the ability to see out, but no one can get in.  It's a great place to start the feeding sessions of the intro process.  I will also pos a picture of the screen door set up I used.

Also have you tried any Feliway diffusers?

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it OK to let new cat roam the house while resident cat is in basement or safe room?

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have been in same house since Oct.. it seems they are getting more territorial.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it OK to let new cat roam the house while resident cat is in basement or safe room?
Yes.  For awhile you can allow one cat out to roam around while the other is put away.  Then switch.

Even though they have been together since Oct., if you didn't follow the cat to cat intros process, the cats will not just magically decide to get along.  You have to work through the process.  Room swapping is very helpful.  Allow your resident cat into the space where the new cat spends most of her time.  This gets them used to scent and territory.  The next most important step is feeding near each other.  It's best to start behind a closed door.  One cat on each side.  If you watch the video it shows how to do this.  After they can both comfortably eat behind a closed door ( no hissing, growling, yowling, posturing or too scared to eat) then you can use a baby gate or screen door.  You might need to start with the gate covered and gradually raise the towel.  You keep pushing the challenge line once the cats have adjusted to each step.  THe key is to not move too quickly.  Some steps can take weeks. 

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with everything Shadow is saying.

Dont lose hope, some cats take longer than others.

It's important to move at the cats pace.  I know it can be frustrating, ours took a little over a month before we allowed them to play together and even then it had to be for short 15-20 min sessions. Only move onto the next step when you see no growling of hissing. 

Site swapping is a great idea.  We noticed the more we did this the more our resident cats seemed to relax.

When we moved onto the baby gate phase we played with the cats on either side at the same time.  The most important thing is to show them good things happen while the other is around.  Get them to not think about the other cat at all.

Curious about your territorial comment.  Is there a lot of vertical space for the cats to be on?  Such as cat trees and Shelves?  With more things to share and claim as their own they shouldnt fight over space as much.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Do please read the guide @ShadowsRescue  linked to in our site - 

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

I think the most important thing there is the outline that helps you get a perspective of what to expect. It then has more links for how to practically implement things, but the perspective is crucial here.

Good luck and let us know how they're doing!

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought the screen door. New cat was in my room. New cat ate food. Resident cat would not eat but did not hiss or growl. When new cat was done eating she started hissing. What should I do? Do I close the door at that point or do I keep feeding her?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the screen door. New cat was in my room. New cat ate food. Resident cat would not eat but did not hiss or growl. When new cat was done eating she started hissing. What should I do? Do I close the door at that point or do I keep feeding her?
Did you start by feeding them behind a closed door first?  You want them to only smell each other first.  You also can cover the screen door with a sheet or towel to block the line of sight.  Just keep working at this stage, but do not move forward until the hissing stops.  You also can move the food further away from the door and then gradually move it closer and closer.  The key is baby steps. 

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I fed them behind closed doors first. As soon as the screen is there, resident cat stops eating. New cat eats then hisses.
I bought the Feliway Diffuser but it doesn't seem to be working.

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What should I cover the screen with? Is a closed door ok?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch the Jackson Galaxy video. He walks you through the steps. The first step is a closed door, then a screen covered with a blanket or a towel, and then the screen covering gradually raised.

merbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Thank you. I appreciate the help. It is just frustrating but I have hope.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to go at their pace, which could be a while. Try to stay calm. It'll be ok!