New Canidae Pure Wild Wet Food

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I discovered this new food on the shelves.
Has anyone tried it?
It's quite pricey but I'm willing to pay of it's good stuff.
The ingredients seem to look good.

I'm currently feeding my furbabies nutro chunky loaf chicken and turkey, but I'm uneasy about the pork broth in there.

Does anyone know how I figure out the fat, protein, and carb percentage?
It's too new and none of the cat food sites have reviewed it.

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients look decent, no potatoes peas gums or carrageenan. I calculate the percentage protein, fat, and carbs as 33-66-1 from the guaranteed analysis (it’s an estimate, won’t be exact).

Seems on par with other high quality canned foods. Unfortunately lower protein than fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ingredients look decent, no potatoes peas gums or carrageenan. I calculate the percentage protein, fat, and carbs as 33-66-1 from the guaranteed analysis (it’s an estimate, won’t be exact).

Seems on par with other high quality canned foods. Unfortunately lower protein than fat.
Thanks so much for doing that! I'm brain dead when it comes to math.
I was feeding my baby commercial dehydrated raw and she just decided that she hates it overnight. She'd rather starve....
I'll compare this with nutro and may do the switch until she decides she likes the raw stuff again.
Would you happen to have another wet food you recommend besides tiki cat?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeding Rawz chicken and turkey cans and Instinct original chicken and rabbit cans and their compositions are very similar to this Canidae can in terms of the percentage protien-fat-carb. The Instinct rabbit is a bit better with higher protein and less fat but it's the most expensive so I only give it once in a while. I think both brands are good foods and are both 95% meat (although, it's probably mostly the fatty parts of the meat). Also neither Rawz or Instinct have any gums, carrageenan or potatoes - Rawz doesn't have any peas but they use vegetable broth and Instinct uses peas. You can't win em all, but these are decent enough!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am feeding Rawz chicken and turkey cans and Instinct original chicken and rabbit cans and their compositions are very similar to this Canidae can in terms of the percentage protien-fat-carb. The Instinct rabbit is a bit better with higher protein and less fat but it's the most expensive so I only give it once in a while. I think both brands are good foods and are both 95% meat (although, it's probably mostly the fatty parts of the meat). Also neither Rawz or Instinct have any gums, carrageenan or potatoes - Rawz doesn't have any peas but they use vegetable broth and Instinct uses peas. You can't win em all, but these are decent enough!
Thanks for the recommendations! I was looking into Rawz but the only place that carries it is a 30 minute drive from mr. I suppose I will try the Canidae and hope my baby goes back to liking raw eventually. I just don't trust whatever is in those canned foods, such as mostly fat as you said. But its better than dry food, which is her favorite of course. Lol!
Thanks for responding and sharing your knowledge!

cosmic cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Trisha422 and everyone,

I haven't heard of this new recipe personally but an online site mentions it contains "natural flavours"....could this be MSG....? I don't know. ...You could ask them of course, Im not sure if they would answer though, hopefully they would (I didn't always get answers re my - anonymous - queries to pet food companies in the past. Don't think I was one of their favourite customers in the end......)
I personally try to avoid "natural flavours" in case they are MSG but I think it is unfortunately in a lot of foods (under different names). Not sure about the other ingredients ...but if one is really going to "nit pick"!...the vitamins could be synthetic (though that might be Ok in some/ all instances.....They can also be derived from unusual places eg Vit D can come from sheep wool (lanolin), I believe
Pls understand, I know this (and other things I post about) may have already been mentioned ...and often (but Im too flat out at the moment to check re this !..... and excuse me if I'm being a broken record!)

I agree, its good there are no gums, carrageenan (or 407, as its sometimes called on labels where I live).....why cant cat food companies just make good quality food without all the goo?....Sloppy, goo free food.....Goo is not goo-d, often ...from what I read, anyhow....they could use a slogan like "Looks terrible, tastes terrific" ....I'm sure most cats would eat it and their bodies would benefit from not having all these "additives" some of which are GMO related too. My cat kid once threw up immediately a new recipe I gave her with 3 gums in it...I suspect it was the gums that caused that...

(going off on a tangent a bit now..... I thinks its very good you are looking into this new recipe. I personally find the whole cat diet/cat food issue quite complex and frustrating. Even the water issue isn't straightforward (well, not for me!) and given cats aren't always (often?) great drinkers, I know how important it is generally to try and ensure they get enough water (esp, I believe, if they are on dry food diet.)
I personally didnt want to give my cat kids our tank water so I had initially bought a standard filter from the supermarket only to learn it only filters one chemical and "the smell" (or something like that... ie. filters very little!) I didn't want to use a water fountain as my cat kid plays with / chases cords and I was too nervous to even have the electric cord covered in a protector case in case she still bit through that ..Personally, Im not keen either on having water near electricity and I couldn't find a non electric one. Then I went to still spring - not mineral- water but learnt the plastic bottles can have BPA...so then I switched to glass bottled spring water (and get plastic, not metal, lidded ones that open cleanly, without bits breaking off ) And I also now I have a bench top water filter that filters most of the "known nasties" - well, I hope it does! Very economical too but I have to remember not to run hot water through it by accident! All very complex ..but in the end, its important I think. )