New Birth, Only 1 Live Kitten

Kris1252

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a pregnant kitty a month ago. She is maybe 9 months old, per my vet. She gave birth yesterday under the living room couch. Once I got help to move the couch, we found 1 live baby nursing, and an underdeveloped stillborn one I moved the mom and live kitty to my bedroom, along with her birthing box so I could keep her separated from my other cat. A 7 yr old, very docile male. . Mom keeps moving the baby under my bed, but does not stay with it. Overnight I kept moving the baby back to the box and mom would stay and nurse it, but would then move it back under the bed and then come to try to sleep with me. Is this ok? How often should this lonely baby eat? Is there anything special I should be doing since it is alone.
20190703_061913.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
1 weigh it every day so you know she gains properly. - ~ 10+ grammes a day.

2 be sure kitten is warm and comfortable

3 give a fuzzy toy animal as company...

K Kris1252

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How are things going now? I hope by now mama is spending more time with the baby. Sometimes, right after delivery, a mama cat is feeling a bit insecure and anxious, which seems to typically dissipate with a little time.

At this kitten's age, mama should be nursing every 2-3 hours. If mama wants to get up and move away, that is OK, as long as it is not for hours at a time.

For warmth, while mama is absent, you can use the fuzzy toy StefanZ StefanZ mentioned, along with blankets/towels (for insulation). You could even throw a towel in the dryer for a couple of minutes (check out hot before adding to the nest) to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris1252

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How are things going now? I hope by now mama is spending more time with the baby. Sometimes, right after delivery, a mama cat is feeling a bit insecure and anxious, which seems to typically dissipate with a little time.

At this kitten's age, mama should be nursing every 2-3 hours. If mama wants to get up and move away, that is OK, as long as it is not for hours at a time.

For warmth, while mama is absent, you can use the fuzzy toy StefanZ StefanZ mentioned, along with blankets/towels (for insulation). You could even throw a towel in the dryer for a couple of minutes (check out hot before adding to the nest) to help.
Last night was much better. The minute mama hears the baby start to meow she goes right to her now. She seems to understand her responsibilities better now. I have a scale being delivered tomorrow so I can begin to monitor the babies weight. Thanks so much for every bodies help.