New baby kitten

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't believe you can train a cat not to catch bugs and small rodents. It's instinctive for them to hunt and kill. Tiger was indeed sharing her catch with you, and if I were you, I would praise her for it. I had a terrible mouse problem in my house until I got my four-legged mouse catcher. He's an intrepid hunter, and I no longer have mice in the house. I praised him and praised him when he first caught a mouse. The last time he did, he was so cute about it. I was in the spare bedroom on the computer, and he went into my bedroom, which I didn't pay any attention to. When I was finished, I went in the bedroom, and he was hiding behind the sisal scratching post, watching for my reaction. There, a few feet away, was a dead mouse. He was soooo proud of himself!  I told him over and over what a good boy he was.
Exactly.  This is one of the main things that we've bred cats for  -- exterminating vermin.  (The worms are just a toy, from Tiger's perspective.)  The correct reaction is to tell her that she's a mighty hunter, praise her to high heaven, and then say, "Thank you, but I'm not hungry right now.  I'll save it for later."  (Cats understand left-overs.)  Then, when she's not looking, you flush it down the toilet or otherwise dispose of it.  And if you don't want it to happen again, you keep your cat inside, and hope that your house is mouse-proof.

Sweet Thing once killed a mother mouse and brought the entire litter of baby mice to me, one at a time, to take care of.  There was nothing I could do for them except give them a quick death.  Infants don't smell the same as adults, in any species, so a cat may not see them as prey (though, in the wild, other predators see infants as easy pickings).

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ughhh I actually shouted at tiger for this I hope she didnt realise ,she was half asleep anyways

Well Im soo glad there are no snakes in the area I live . I guess it is a good thing if tiger is hunting mices thanks guys for helping
Tiger sleeping with a dead mouse [emoji]128552[/emoji]

On my bed [emoji]128553[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji]

Last edited: