New Arm and Hammer Clump & Seal litter

applekiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always been a fresh step kind of gal....but i to didn't like the mud..i could handle the dust. So about 2 weeks ago I switched to armor Hammer the cats took right to it and it smells okay going in ... but by the time i was going to bed the cat little smelled like a dead rat... I was actually on this site to see what people thought about mixing the two together. what do yall thing?

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have always been a fresh step kind of gal....but i to didn't like the mud..i could handle the dust. So about 2 weeks ago I switched to armor Hammer the cats took right to it and it smells okay going in ... but by the time i was going to bed the cat little smelled like a dead rat... I was actually on this site to see what people thought about mixing the two together. what do yall thing?
I'm actually in the middle of doing just that. I had been using Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal for multi-cat households (not the Clump, Seal and Slide--just clump and seal in the black box). Well, Walmart didn't have any of that particular brand and Fresh Step low tracking litter was on sale. Since constant vacuuming of litter is an annoyance of mine with the Arm & Hammer, I decided to give Fresh Step a try. I had to change out the litter in a couple of the boxes but I left the Arm & Hammer in the third box just in case the cats didn't like the new stuff.

Results of my totally unscientific 'experiment'.
The cats would leave a pee clump in the Fresh Step boxes but they pooped mostly in the Arm & Hammer box--even the kitten who normally does all of his business in one particular box. Leo would still poop a little in the Fresh Step, but even he was using the Arm & Hammer box more than usual (that particular box is the one Angus tends to use). Angus didn't seem to care for the Fresh Step at all so he just stuck to his usual box.

Smell-wise, I haven't really noticed an improvement one way or the other. There was still some tracking with the Fresh Step, although not as much. I decided that I really didn't like the Fresh Step because it didn't clump very fast with the urine so I ended up with urine clumps stuck to the bottom of the litter box where I didn't have that problem with the Arm & Hammer with the litter at the same levels. I topped off the Arm & Hammer box with some Fresh Step I had left just to use it up. I actually liked that better in terms of tracking and odor control so I'm probably going to do that with all of the boxes, slowly adding in Arm & Hammer until it's a 50/50 mix.

At least that's where I am with this process. I have two boxes that are still Fresh Step and one box that's 75% Arm & Hammer/ 25% Fresh Step.