New and need advice?

clairealex88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to these forums and a new kitten mum too. I collected her last night. She's a nine week old bengal cross.

Ive pre-registered her at a vet and have an appointment for Monday. However, I've noticed she has mild diaharreah. She did her first stool this morning and, although solid, was caramel coloured and awful smelling. My OH has just informed me that she's did another one this afternoon.

She's been messed about a bit before coming to me, and I've started her on Hills Science kitten wet food. The person I took her from could only tell me she was on wet kitten food - no brand was known.

She seems healthy and curious, but I am concerned about her stools. Through reading I'm thinking it could be a combination of stress/new environment/food change?

Should I see how she gets on over the weekend as we have the vet Monday morning anyway or should I ring them this afternoon for advice?

Any help would be very appreciated, and it's very lovely to meet everyone :)

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten often get Diarrhea. When my cat was a kitten i discovered that the kitty litter was causing her to have Diarrhea.

There is nothing wrong with ringing your vet to check if you should bring her in. A good vet doesn't mind

I would make sure she is hydrated.  The video below will show you how to check

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairealex88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying! I spoke to my vet who said as long as she's active and seems ok in herself, then we can hold off until Monday for her appointment. I did the test and she's hydrated.

I'm not sure if the Hills Science is agreeing with her, but as it's only been two days, am concerned about upsetting her stomach further by introducing another type of food so soon. She still had the mild diaharreah so I don't want to make it any worse.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would keep her food the same and wait for the Vet visit.  Often kittens have parasites which cause diarrhea.  The Vet will probably due a fecal exam and find out what the problem is.

Congrats on your new furbaby, BTW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairealex88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :D

I eased up with food yesterday as her stools were getting looser. I fed her half a sachet in the morning then witheld food for 10 hours before giving her half a sachet at about 6pm, then offering smaller portions more regularly. It really seems to have settled her stomach and, although she's still going more frequently than I'd like, the stool now looks more normal and the smell is less offensive.

The vet will give her a thorough check over tomorrow morning so hopefully if there are any underlying issues they'll be picked up.