New Adult Cat

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family just adopted a very sweet 5-year-old calico off of Craigslist. She LOVES to be petted, and her previous owners said that whenever anyone came to their house, Cookie (the kitty) thought that they were coming to see her. So basically she loves people. We adopted her Sunday and she's been hiding since we got her. Is this normal? She's taken to hiding under the guest room bed downstairs so my mom placed extra food and water a few feet from the bed. We've been letting her do her thing and explore the house (even though it's so hard not to scoop her up for cuddles because she's so adorable!) But as I said, she's been hiding under the bed. I went down to check on her yesterday and she walked out under the bed for some petting and actually followed me upstairs where I showed her her new toys and we played for about an hour. After a while she decided to retreat back downstairs to go under the bed. Today I went to check on her again and accidentally scared her out, but she seemed happy to be out for some petting. I carried her upstairs and we sat on the couch together while I was petting her. She seems to really enjoy this time with me. Should I be doing anything differently? Is she responding well to the new environment?
Thank you!:)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It usually takes cats about a week to start adjusting to serious changes. They are extremely territorial and territory is the cornerstone of their comfort. In changing homes she essentially lost her territory and is in unknown territory.

That said, she doesn't sound like she is handling it any differently then I would expect. Continue to attempt to play and spend time with her. If she doesn't already have one, a cat tree can really help with security of cats. It is a piece of furniture that will smell exclusively of her and anchor her in her new surroundings.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
KittyCookie KittyCookie , I second what Kieka Kieka mentioned. Give her some time and let her get use to the new surroundings, sounds and sights. Also let let claim her space. This will speed up her confidence and best is your house is cat safe and let her free roam.

Place some towels where she sleeps now and once the towel has her scent on it, place the towels at different parts of your house. This will make her feel at home since her scents are there.

Love, patience and routine are the key to win her heart :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It usually takes cats about a week to start adjusting to serious changes. They are extremely territorial and territory is the cornerstone of their comfort. In changing homes she essentially lost her territory and is in unknown territory.

That said, she doesn't sound like she is handling it any differently then I would expect. Continue to attempt to play and spend time with her. If she doesn't already have one, a cat tree can really help with security of cats. It is a piece of furniture that will smell exclusively of her and anchor her in her new surroundings.
Thank you for your help! She doesn't have a cat tree, and my mom won't allow one in the house, but I will continue trying to take it slow and help her adjust. :)
KittyCookie KittyCookie , I second what Kieka Kieka mentioned. Give her some time and let her get use to the new surroundings, sounds and sights. Also let let claim her space. This will speed up her confidence and best is your house is cat safe and let her free roam.

Place some towels where she sleeps now and once the towel has her scent on it, place the towels at different parts of your house. This will make her feel at home since her scents are there.

Love, patience and routine are the key to win her heart :wink:
Thank you! :D I will try the towel thing!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My parents don't want a cat tree in the house but my room is mine so I have one there. I measured the window to get one that fits the room and isn't overbearing.

It helped that Kitty Mansions wearhouse is nearby so I could go in the showroom and get real feel for the sizes and fit.

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents don't want a cat tree in the house but my room is mine so I have one there. I measured the window to get one that fits the room and isn't overbearing.

It helped that Kitty Mansions wearhouse is nearby so I could go in the showroom and get real feel for the sizes and fit.
I asked my mom if I can put a small cat tree in my room, and sadly, she said no. :ohwell: Thanks for your help though (:

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I asked my mom if I can put a small cat tree in my room, and sadly, she said no. :ohwell: Thanks for your help though :)
You don't really need to put a cat tree cat tree. As long as your windows are secured and there's no way your kitty can escape, you can always rearrange your desk or table by the window and have a chair by it so that your kitty can use it to jump up onto the table and place a box on the side of the table so that it increases the height and your kitty can look out of the window.

Just make sure box is sturdy and wide enough for kitty to be on it :wink:

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't really need to put a cat tree cat tree. As long as your windows are secured and there's no way your kitty can escape, you can always rearrange your desk or table by the window and have a chair by it so that your kitty can use it to jump up onto the table and place a box on the side of the table so that it increases the height and your kitty can look out of the window.

Just make sure box is sturdy and wide enough for kitty to be on it :wink:
Okay, great!(: We actually have a big bay window that kitty loves to sit by and watch birds!
The picture is dark, but this is what the window looks like!(:
20170509_203833.jpg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is great! It's a super wide screen tv for kitty :cutecat:What a view!

He can enjoy the sun and watch the birds and squirrels and traffic go by.

Hope he dosen't destroy the blinds. Maybe can draw them up whenever kitty is there? So as to avoid any excuse of getting rid of kitty.

KittyCookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great! It's a super wide screen tv for kitty :cutecat:What a view!

He can enjoy the sun and watch the birds and squirrels and traffic go by.

Hope he dosen't destroy the blinds. Maybe can draw them up whenever kitty is there? So as to avoid any excuse of getting rid of kitty.
Thank you!! Sadly, she was front declawed by her previous owner, so I don't think she will destroy the blinds, but I will pull them up to avoid her climbing them or something:) She loves watching all the birds, squirrels, and cars going by! She came from a very rural area, where there was virtually no cars on the roads, so I think that's why she's so interested in the cars, lol. :)
Edit: Typo

Last edited: